• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

powder funnels

JW21

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2013
northern CA
So I've been using the lee and rcbs plastic powder funnels, just wondering if their is anything better out their. What are you guys using?

I am building a reloading bench and collecting the components needed to start precision reloading (I am a relearning) - my understanding is that the Saturn powder funnels are the ones
and you don't have to deal with the static. They are on my purchase list. Don't have any first hand workings with them yet but I will.

I use Satern funnels in 22 and 30 cal, $12.29ea at Midway, and they are very good. There's a small ridge inside one of my funnels near the top of the drop tube that occasionally catches a granule of powder, but it's such a small issue - a tap clears it - I've never bothered to try and remove it. Otherwise, they have been perfect - no (other) sticks, no leaks, no spills.

I prefer them to the $4.19 Lee powder funnel - no other experience.

I use Satern funnels in 22 and 30 cal, $12.29ea at Midway, and they are very good. There's a small ridge inside one of my funnels near the top of the drop tube that occasionally catches a granule of powder, but it's such a small issue - a tap clears it - I've never bothered to try and remove it. Otherwise, they have been perfect - no (other) sticks, no leaks, no spills.

I prefer them to the $4.19 Lee powder funnel - no other experience.

^^^^ this... ive tried pretty much all now i only use satern..

Reactions: hellzna
I used plastic for a while and then bought Satern Funnels. My plastic funnels never get used anymore.

I was looking at the satern powder funnels, and I like that they were made out of metal rather than plastic. Do the saterns "wobble" on the case like the lee?

I was looking at the satern powder funnels, and I like that they were made out of metal rather than plastic. Do the saterns "wobble" on the case like the lee?

the Satern funnels are caliber specific and, therefore, fit the neck tightly enough that there is no wobble.

They fit brass very well, don't wobble or leak powder. I load in batches so it is nice to not have to hold the funnel over each case, they sit there nice and steady.

They fit brass very well, don't wobble or leak powder. I load in batches so it is nice to not have to hold the funnel over each case, they sit there nice and steady.

I load in batches too, and I hate it when I have to fumble with the powder funnel. Glad to hear I won't have to do that anymore.

Just got Saturns--love them. As a side note, if ordering from Midway or the like, don't order with bullets. They are a thinner spun aluminum shell with brass fitting on the case neck. Pretty lightweight and while durable for it's intended purpose, heavy hard boxes of Bullets in nice hard plastic Berger and Lapua boxes twill seriously damage them. The first three I ordered were useless, crushed beyond reasonable repair--midway made it right, but was disappointed that they were simply tossed between the bully boxes. Better to order them with nice pillowy cleaning patches or the like.

I bought the RCBS with the different neck adapters in hopes I could pour better into 22 necks. What a waste of money that RCBS is. The 22 adapter spills powder just like my old funnel. Now I have a lathe and make my own similar to the Satern. Now .223 and .243 are no problem. I need to make one for a .375, maybe this week.

I have some old Hornady metal ones. Two funnels fit most calibers and they work great.

^^^^ this... ive tried pretty much all now i only use satern..
TOTALLY agree, much better than the "universal" rcbs one especially the newer versions. I initially started with the 30cal
Satern to make life easier loading my RUM but quickly got'm for other rifle calibers. You can even sit on the case an once its
there you dont even need to hold it just pour the charge and watch it RUN into the case.

I only used Satern until I found Precision Hardcore Gear. Although I had few blockages with the Satern I've had zero with the PHG.

I started with the red plastic Lee/MEC "universal fit" funnels. They were prone to static cling, especially with ball powders. But a quick wipe with a fabric softener sheet usually took care of that... They worked fine on my 30 caliber cases. But that "universal fit" was wobbly on .223 cases.

I have Saturn funnels in both .22 and .30 cals... Both work great but I can't say the 30 cal beats the cheap red plastic by a lot. The 22 funnel is great though, no wobble at all.

Mike