• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder going bad

sandwarrior

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
in yooperland
For those of you who have ever wondered what powder looks like or does when it goes bad here is a pic.

Note the red tinge inside the funnel. This powder has not gotten “way bad” but is starting to go. Stored over 50 years in a cellophane wrapper can (the one you see), it’s had just enough moisture over the years to affect it’s performance.
D3AAC01D-B5AB-4717-B654-448B211ACC8E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: RegionRat
LOL, I still have cans like that. My wife asked me to start throwing them out so she doesn’t have to deal with them when I’m gone....

In those days, stores had to place price tags on things. It is interesting to see what I paid for them and where they came from since many of those places are a distant memory in SoCal.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I didn’t keep any of mine. We get Silverfish and the labels don’t survive so I tossed them eons ago to avoid feeding the little buggers. Around here, Silverfish will attack paper and textiles so you have to be very careful with important papers and books.

Can you post a shot of the printed label on the top around the cap?
I’ve seen these containers emptied but the label on the top is always missing....
Yes, I will get to it later this evening.

RegionRat,
I remember seeing silverfish in CA? But, not remembering that they ate paper. lol. I’ll be darned... little pains in the ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: VSP968
I met an older benchrest guy at the range last summer who had loaded some rounds with some old duPont powder that he had acquired 30 years ago. Told me he shot the best 10 round group of his life that morning. Yup it was one ragged hole.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Only ever seen the remnants of the glue on the top.

I’m old but not old enough to have been reloading when those were common.

I always figured it was a warning of some kind like you’d find on Snap-On screwdriver handles:

“Never use as a chisel or a pry bar, always wear Saftey Goggles”

I just upsized the photo of the funnel, hope it shows the rust color better. I wiped a little in the right side of the funnel to show the difference in the clear funnel vs. the rust dust color.