• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder lots

silentnswift

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2012
Kentucky
I'm sure it has been asked and I apologize in advance. I have managed to have 1/3 a can of varget left over (1lb can). I am going to switch from 175 smk to 185 Berger. Do I start load development with the remaining powder and switch midstream? Or go ahead and start with a new can? Will be different lots is why I ask.

When you switch lots of Varget, be prepared for a change in velocity. I've experienced that most every time I've changed lots. This typically requires changing the charge weight until velocity is back in the same node.

I wouldn't switch bullets until you are on the new can of powder.

I always blend my powder lots, the difference becomes so minute at that point.

Don't blend powders of differing makes. If you carefully and thoroughly blend similar powders, different lots, you'll just wind up with the same powder but with a uniform lot consistency now.

Also, know that commercial powders are of higher quality and are more stringent than military powders, so while they may vary slightly from lot to lot, they don't vary THAT much. You can expect one lot to perform similar to another, the changes should be minute. But if working up a new load and you want it to have as few variables as possible, a uniform lot isn't bad.

Personally I don't mix powders but I get it in bulk and generally have enough to load all my components and then some with that one lot.

For milspec ammo or plinking ammo or whatever you wanna call it, I disregard lots altogether.

Say you have an accurate load and you change lots and velocity is different. Will getting back to the original velocity produce the same accuracy as before?

Say you have an accurate load and you change lots and velocity is different. Will getting back to the original velocity produce the same accuracy as before?
It isn't a given. It depends on how large the node was to begin with, and where the previous load fell within that node.