• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder Options for a couple of Hornady .224 Bullets

capreppy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2011
Princeton, TX
AR with 20" Aero Precision 223 Wylde Barrel with 1/8 twist

I've been shooting Hornady 50gr Z-Max / V-Max. Still have quite a bit on the shelves and at 100 yards, it is perfect. I use H322, Remington brass, and CCI SRP.

I've found a box with what looks to be about 4k Hornady 60gr V-Max (flat bottom). Is H335 going to be my best best for that? I'm not sure that the H322 is going to be any good with this weight.

I also ordered 1k Sierra 77gr HPBT to shoot at longer distances. I want to load these behind Varget. Any other suggestions?

I've NOT used CFE223 as yet. Not opposed to ordering some, but will what I have above be best? Any other suggestions?

I've used H335 with Hornady 75gr ELDM's with pretty good luck. Might be a little fast for what's good (maybe?) but its what I've got. I too am interested in what others have to say.

I've used H335 with Hornady 75gr ELDM's with pretty good luck. Might be a little fast for what's good (maybe?) but its what I've got. I too am interested in what others have to say.

H335 is something that's readily available. I use H322 for really light stuff (primarily 50 / 52) and it's perfect for that. For 55gr plinking and 60gr accuracy loads, H335 works for me.

With the scarcity of Varget (I think I have 7-8#), I'm curious about other options in 223 for heavies. I will likely never build a 308 and I have H4350 for my 6.5 CM.

I use H335 for my 55 grain loads, and Varget for my 69 with great results. Not sure about the 77, fairly good jump from a 69. Worth a try i would think!

For the heavies like the 75-77 grain just get some IMR 8208 XBR and work up a load. Some seem to like H4895 but there is plenty of 223 load data on this site for the heavier bullets.

For the heavies like the 75-77 grain just get some IMR 8208 XBR and work up a load. Some seem to like H4895 but there is plenty of 223 load data on this site for the heavier bullets.

I have some IMR 8208 XBR. I'll definitely give this a try.

I have used H-335 with 50 gr vmax and 75 gr amax with good results.I also use rl-15 with the 75 gr amax with great results.