• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder Recommendation

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
Could somebody recommend me a good powder to use with a 150 grain sierra gameking for a 308 with a 20 inch barrel. Thanks in advance.

Re: Powder Recommendation

I've had really good luck with Vit N-140. But the books seem to like H-380. Either should be fine.

My hunting load is IMR4064.But,there are many,many good choices. Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 243Varminter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would Benchmark work? </div></div>

Yes, I show 43 as max-max in my book for a 150.

In the Google groups archives in rec.guns, one can do a search for posts by Bart Bobbitt over the last 20 years. He was a serious competitor for many years at Camp Perry high power with the 308. He is good at describing what he has learned.

He seems to favor IMR4895 up to 160 gr and IMR4064 over 160 gr and IMR4350 at ~ 200 gr.

This is one of zillions of possible hits on that topic:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.guns/...0b784e50ea3665d

For a long time my go to load in my .308 Win was a CCI 200 primer and 46.0 grains of varget behind a 150 grain Sierra Gameking. I shoot a 26" barrel. But the .308 is not a picky cartridge. Lots of powder will work well in it.

For the bolt I use Varget, R15 or 4064. In the gas I use 4064. Primers for the bolt are either CCI 200, Fed 210 or Win WLR. Primer for the gas is CCI 34.

I tried the Benchmark out today and it seems like it was a good choice. I used 41 grains with Winchester brass at 2.750 overall length. It looks like it's going to be sub half inch. I pulled off on my last shot so I won't know for sure how accurate it's going to be till tomorrow but things are looking very promising and this is the first load I have tried in my rifle.

Had good luck with plain old IMR 4895.

Never shot varget in a 20 in barrel but i use varget in a 24 in barrle bc it is verry stable in variable tempatures