• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder recommendations for 308 win

NCHillbilly

Libertata Aut Morte
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2012
    The occupied states of America
    Looking for powder recommendations for 308 win in a ar style rifle.I've been using 39.5 grs. of IMR-4895 under a 168 gr.match BTHP with CCI 34 primers.Wanting to see if I can improve long range groups.They'll be launched from a 24 inch ,1-10 twist barrel.

Re: Powder recommendations for 308 win

i've used varget.

VV n140

my latest load with re15 seems to be the most accurate.

good lucky taming your beast

I have shot both CFE223 and Power Pro 2000 MR against Reloader 15 and Varget in the 168 grain .308 load. The temperature insensitivity of those two new powders really is quite good. Many people are finding superb accuracy with these two new powders. My brother-in-law shot the 2000 MR in a ladder test up in Alaska. He found a 2-grain node! He was surprised, so was I. I'm going to duplicate his test down here in Florida, shooting it both in my M1A and bolt gun.

Varget seems to be the most popular and for good reason.

"long Range Groups "??? What is YOUR version of long range ? If it's past 600 yds then 1st lose the 168 in the AR since you have just a 24" barrel. Varget & 175 or 178, Yes. Maybe even PP2K MR but with a heavy bullet.

Varget or Reloader 15 would be perfect for that setup. Maybe try some 175smk's also. Make your OAL right at max for the magazine.

All my 308 loads are with Varget. But that is subject to change, as I am starting development for my LMT 308. I want to try the MR2000 for it.
    As suggested above, drop the 168 and go with the 175 for better LR application.

It was always Varget for me. Only powder I tried, or needed to try. Performed very well.

+1 for Varget or RL 15! Both are excellent .308 powders!!

Good Luck!!

I tried some H4895 with the 175 SMK's in my rifle today. Shot more consistent groups than Varget does for me.

i chose varget for a couple of reason

1) minimial temp sensativity - i'm in michigan and hunt/shoot most of the year
    2) there were viable .223, 30-06 and .308 loads for it - one powder for lots of calibers and dozens of bullet choices wahoo!
    3) i cant stop finding ppl who absolutely LOVE its performance - including myself in AR-15 and Rem7600 30-06

i have considered some testing with H4895 as it has similar characteristics of #1 but i only have load data for the 308 with it. It might give me a little speed bump but i'm still saving up for a chrony. I'll know more in a week or so after i reshoot some promising loads i muffed up the groupings on when doing my ladder. (i'm comfortable the marked groups were PEBTAC error - problem exists between trigger and chair)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coyotejunki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried some H4895 with the 175 SMK's in my rifle today. Shot more consistent groups than Varget does for me. </div></div>

I had pretty similar results with my rifle using H4895! I also suggest jumping up to the 175gr SMK.

Others have already said it, drop the 168's and go with 175/178's...especially in a 10 twist. I like Varget with 178 gr Amax's run as long as I can from the mag in my AR10T...RL15 does very well too but I like Varget in 308s. Thats my experience and I have never tried the new powders mentioned earlier...never needed to. Start low, work up, be safe.

okie

I've had good results with imr 4895 in my bolt gun.

I really like Varget. I have enough on hand to keep me shooting for years after the last shortage.

These all work good: Varget, H4895, 4064, and TAC.