• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder recs for gap crusader

Aimsmall55

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2010
Madison, Ms
I am fixing to purchase a .308 gap crusader from a guy I met through another friend of mine. It has a 1:11:1/4 twist. I reload so my question is I want to use a slower burning powder to conserve bore life. What powder do any of you guys recommend? Will be shooting 600 to 1000. Also with that twist, will a 175 smk or a 178 amax stabilize. Have a NF nxs so elevation is not a problem. Just need a little input. Thanks

Re: Powder recs for gap crusader

Don't worry about barrel life with a .308. You have plenty. Get some Varget. It will give you excellent velocities and it's also very temp stable. With the 175/178 weight bullets the min is 42grns and max of 45grns per Hodgdon's site.

Also the 11.25 twist will be fine with those bullet weights. Look at the Hornady 178 BTHP as well. It has a .530 BC and have been very accurate.

Re: Powder recs for gap crusader

Well that wont be a problem. Got six cans of that. I use it to load for 168 amaxs. With a 1:12 twist, 45 grains and lapua brass, and a 9 1/2 Remington lr primers. It is a 1 moa combo out to six hundred yds.