• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder scale/dispenser reccomendations

Drago6

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2017
You guys sucessfully convinced me to go with a Forster CoAx which recently arrived after a 7 month backorder

The next puzzle piece I'm trying to navigate is a powder dispenser/scale

I will be reloading for 6.5 cm/grendel and 77gr 5.56

I've been looking at the RCBS matchmaster lite as it is within my budget ($300 or less)

What would you consider the "best" option within that budget range? Appreciate any feedback and look forward to another long backorder wait 😆

You guys sucessfully convinced me to go with a Forster CoAx which recently arrived after a 7 month backorder

The next puzzle piece I'm trying to navigate is a powder dispenser/scale

I will be reloading for 6.5 cm/grendel and 77gr 5.56

I've been looking at the RCBS matchmaster lite as it is within my budget ($300 or less)

What would you consider the "best" option within that budget range? Appreciate any feedback and look forward to another long backorder wait 😆
Ah, would that be a Chargemaster Lite and not Matchmaster which is a good but more $?

I finally broke down and bought a Chargemaster recently when a last minute prairie dog hunt trip had me needing to load 800 rounds of 22-250 in about a day. It worked wonderfully, very accurate, and easy to use. No way I could have done that without it. Wish I had bough one much sooner.

I will add that I did get the regular Chargemaster and did the "re-programming" trick to speed it up which I do not think is available on the Chargemaster Lite version.

But my buddy had the Lite and loves his too. Can't go wrong with either unit and both well worth the money.

It’s all about choices…

1-E21660-A-4456-4687-B1-B1-01-E0-A3-A1215-B.jpg

Extruded powders with the V4 on the left. Ball powders with the V3 on the right. And the Lee Perfect for small charges that the V3 trickler finishes off.

Sorry about the budget.

Last edited:
After my chargemaster lite crapped out after less than 2 years, I went back to throwing charges manually. I added a micrometer to my 23 year old RCBS flowmaster; I also bought a Redding BR-30 AND a trickler. This is faster than the chargemaster lite and more accurate.

Within your budget I like the Chargemaster Lite. I own two and they work great (with reducing inserts and a line conditioner). If you are patient you can watch for online sales and haunt the PX. I suspect that Chargemasters will be popping up as people sell their old ones to step up to the Autotrickler v4 that is slowly becoming available.

Powder check weights are a must for piece of mind. Rcbs 510 and dippers does the job efficiently.
I hear good thing about the Redding BR30 powder drop.

Reactions: BugIn762
Thanks for the replies guys, i'm thinking the Chargemaster is going to be the ticket, great reviews and within the budget

Does RCBS ever have any coupons for their site? I vaguely remember a 10% off floating around. I'll also check the PX and local armslist

Thanks for the replies guys, i'm thinking the Chargemaster is going to be the ticket, great reviews and within the budget

Does RCBS ever have any coupons for their site? I vaguely remember a 10% off floating around. I'll also check the PX and local armslist
They come up pretty frequently in the px. I got my chargemaster 1500 for $200 there. That's what I'd recommend, unless you just have to have it right away.(Which I understand also).

They come up pretty frequently in the px. I got my chargemaster 1500 for $200 there. That's what I'd recommend, unless you just have to have it right away.(Which I understand also).
Of course, I also have the v3 and got it on the px as well. They are becoming available and less expensive. I got the scale new for $475 just so you can compare. Chargemaster is pretty dang good though and the best bang for the buck imo.

There you go

Reactions: Drago6
It’s all about choices…

1-E21660-A-4456-4687-B1-B1-01-E0-A3-A1215-B.jpg

Extruded powders with the V4 on the left. Ball powders with the V3 on the right. And the Lee Perfect for small charges that the V3 trickler finishes off.

Sorry about the budget.
Does the v3 do better with ball powders than the v4, or is it just that the v4 is so much better with chunky ones.

Does the v3 do better with ball powders than the v4, or is it just that the v4 is so much better with chunky ones.
Yeah I'd like to know this too. I try very hard to stick with ball powder because it meters so well. If the v4 truly has conquered this task, well then I will have one.... if not, I will happily rock on with my v3 because it works great for all of the powders I use.

To tell the truth, I haven’t tried the V4 with ball powders. The V3 does a fantastic job with those. What I found is the V3 doesn’t do well with extruded powders. (I guess what you’re calling “chunky”.) For extruded, the V4 seems to be much better from what I’ve noticed so far. I’ve used Varget, Retumbo, IMR4198, D4064ssc (an IMR4064 equivalent), IMR4350, and H110 with the V4.

That’s why I am going to keep both. But, I will get curious and probably try some ball in the V4 (in the future….maybe).

Last edited:
To tell the truth, I haven’t tried the V4 with ball powders. The V3 does a fantastic job with those. What I found is the V3 doesn’t do well with extruded powders. (I guess what you’re calling “chunky”.) For extruded, the V4 seems to be much better from what I’ve noticed so far. I’ve used Varget, Retumbo, IMR4198, D4064ssc (an IMR4064 equivalent), and H110 with the V4.

That’s why I am going to keep both. But, I will get curious and probably try some ball in the V4 (in the future….maybe).
My v3 has done fine with most extruded powders. Varget, most of the Reloder series. It's only when it comes to the chunkiest ones, like n570, where it gets caught up. I have a v4 on order, and am just trying to figure out whether to keep the v3 as well or who knows what. Thanks!

Reactions: 6MT
My v3 has done fine with most extruded powders. Varget, most of the Reloder series. It's only when it comes to the chunkiest ones, like n570, where it gets caught up. I have a v4 on order, and am just trying to figure out whether to keep the v3 as well or who knows what. Thanks!
That's where I'm at as well. If the V4 doesn't really improve anything for me, not sure why I'd get one really?