• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder selection help for .260 Remington 140 GN

chu2001

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
I need some help on select the right powder for my 260 Remington. I am going to use mostly 140 SMK or 140 Hornady and the distance is range from 600 out to about 1200 yards. I been searching for the right powder for reload. What I found is a lot of re-loader use either H4350, IMR-4350 and RL19 for the 140 bullet. My rifle will be 24" 1:8 twist bolt.

What is the different between H4350 and IMR-4350? And which powder is the best for the above requirement?

Thank you very much for your help.

When i ran out of h4350. , i bought some ramshot hunter. Been using 44 grains with 139 and 140 grain bullets. They leave at 2800 and change. Meters great in the dillon also. [email protected] was the money load with 139 gr. scenars. Shot it at gunsite to 1300 no problem.
Greg

Thank you for the input. I will probably get H4350 whenever they become available. I haven't seen them at reasonable price yet :).

Just bought a .260 from a hide member and looking for H4350 for sellers proven load, (5 shot 3" group @ 1006yds). I would love to duplicate that group!! Where can I get some of that "Magic Dust"?

Thanks Joe, That really helped out.
Any one have a lead on H4350 or am I just wasting my time looking for it?
Thanks

Nothing wrong with r17. It'll give you more speed. In my 6.5 creedmor it shot just as good as h4350 and gave me 100 fps. Not that fps really matter in the long term, it's just a very very good alternative.

Thank you for the input. I will probably get H4350 whenever they become available. I haven't seen them at reasonable price yet :).

I've been checking around a bit and Brunos got some 8lbers in yesterday and they are gone. They said the get H powders every 4 -6 weeks so check back. They have over 1,000 B/Os for the kegs. They do have 1lbers @ 34.99 per. Will go fast though.
Powder Valley is not even talking back orders.
I guess I'll try Varget and 4831SC for 140VLDs and hope for the best.

I am surprised that only one person mentioned the powder that was made for the 260. H4831SC is in my opinion the best powder for the 260. It is the one I use with great success. In fact it has a load on the bottle for the 260. I can't say for sure if H4350 does as it has been a while since I tried it. There are a lot of powders that will work for it and you will just have to find what your rifle likes. Good luck

6 shot group about 15 min. ago....chrono'd about 2800...4831sc... 2013-08-31_10-37-46_128.jpg

I am surprised that only one person mentioned the powder that was made for the 260. H4831SC is in my opinion the best powder for the 260. It is the one I use with great success. In fact it has a load on the bottle for the 260. I can't say for sure if H4350 does as it has been a while since I tried it. There are a lot of powders that will work for it and you will just have to find what your rifle likes. Good luck

Thank you for the info. I did see some post regarding the H4831SC but my understanding, that even harder to come by. At this time, I probably pick whatever available to play around with and get more serious reload once the right powder becomes available.

I've been waiting for some one to bring up h4831sc as I just traded my 6.5-284 for a 260 and have lots of this powder on hand. Still breaking in the barrel so not much to comment on yet but I am seeing good things around 44 grains.

Thanks Joe, That really helped out.
Any one have a lead on H4350 or am I just wasting my time looking for it?
Thanks

My post was a humorous way of saying that you are wasting your time looking for it.

Along with Varget, it's the most sought after (and absent) smokeless powder these days.

Sorry if the message didn't come through.

This is why I "defected" to Accurate 4350, which so far has shot as well or better than H4350 in my .260.

I sold off 4 lbs. of H4350 here in the classifieds and it was gone in 5 minutes, it's that popular (and rare).

Joe

My post was a humorous way of saying that you are wasting your time looking for it.

Along with Varget, it's the most sought after (and absent) smokeless powder these days.

Sorry if the message didn't come through.

This is why I "defected" to Accurate 4350, which so far has shot as well or better than H4350 in my .260.

I sold off 4 lbs. of H4350 here in the classifieds and it was gone in 5 minutes, it's that popular (and rare).

Joe

Reports have H4350 in stock at many physical and online locations.

Oh, I use H4350 in my 260.

Reports have H4350 in stock at many physical and online locations.

Oh, I use H4350 in my 260.

I can buy it 1 pound at a time if I drive 1.5 hours round trip to get it.

Have you confirmed these reports of product in stock?

I've read it's available at Bruno's for instance, but I won't pay $35 for a $25 pound of powder when there are other powders that work as well.

Then again, I like to think outside the box. Admittedly, it's not for everyone.

Joe

H4350 if you can find it... If not, RE-17.

A lot of shooters also use H4831sc, but it will produce lower velocities than the other two.

Based on IMR 7828 showing the highest velocity with 140 grain bullets (others as well) in Lee's 12th edition, I bought a can and a month ago I loaded some up (Nosler 140 CCs).
I got 50 fps more out of I7828 than H4350, working up until I saw pressure signs like difficult bolt lift, flattened/cratered primers. I forget the exact speed but it was up around 2930 out of a 24" 1:8.5 bbl.

I did not work with it long enough to refine a load but it was still pretty accurate, better than .8 MOA at 100 yards without really trying. I suspect that it could do better. The .260 seems to shoot well with any powder that is "in the ballpark".

MidSouth Shooters Supply has 8 lb. jugs in stock and Natchez has 1 pounders.

Joe

I can buy it 1 pound at a time if I drive 1.5 hours round trip to get it.

Have you confirmed these reports of product in stock?

I've read it's available at Bruno's for instance, but I won't pay $35 for a $25 pound of powder when there are other powders that work as well.

Then again, I like to think outside the box. Admittedly, it's not for everyone.

Joe
Joe and the rest on this post,
Thanks to the heads up from bodywerks on a different post I just ordered 2 kegs of H4350 @ ~$170/8lbs from Precision Reloading. Hope this helps.