• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder sensitivity questions-Wolf SRM223-6.5 Creed

Vodak

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2020
SF Peninsula
Looking for some advice from you guys who have more experience with different powder types.

I took my rifle out yesterday trying to get some chrono data with loads using IMR 4451, Wolf SRM223 primers, new Peterson small primer brass, and 130-140 grain Hornady and Berger bullets. I had multiple hang fires with the 130's and two squibs. (Primer ignition only bullet partially engraved into rifling) The 140's performed better, but I only shot a few of them just to get a pressure and velocity baseline, and still had a couple hang fires.

I probably should have just packed it up as soon as I saw the combo was not working well but just getting to the range this week was enough of a production that I tried to work through it.

I understand that the issue is almost certainly in the Wolf primers. From what I've been able to read they produce a very small but consistent flame front which probably isn't able to consistently ignite this powder charge through the small hole Peterson brass. However, I have a lot of these primers, and not a lot of this powder. What I'm looking for is recommendations on a powder that may be easier to ignite, available, and will still give reasonable performance in the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have IMR 4064, IMR 4895, and Hodgdon Superformance on hand which I believe are all usable in this cartridge and have been waiting for some RL16, but am willing to go pick up something else assuming it's available. If the consensus is that I'm wasting time on the Wolf primers I'll eventually use them up in 223, and switch to something else (CCI 450's?) for the Creedmoor.
Thanks for reading and any insights!

Bump-
Anyone? I'll accept "quit dicking around and just use the 450's" as an answer.
I was able to pick up some RE 16 which I would also try with the Wolf's unless I'm still pissing into the wind here.

I am all but run out of a 5k lot of "Wolf 223" SR primers from >10 years ago. When I bothered to chrono loads with W223SRs I've not had consistent velocities when I tested for 75-80gr projectiles in .223 Remington compared to CCI 450s. If you're determined to use the Wolf 223 primers you might be able to narrow the ES by weighing the primers. Some of that russian stuff is all over the place. I can't speak to the newer lots of Wolf. The only hang-fires and duds I've had were with cheap russian primers and the duds were significantly lighter than average. The duds and hangfires went away when I weight-sorted them and refrained from using the light ones.

All this of course assumes proper working equipment: that you have proper headspaced cartridges, primers seated at proper depths, adequate firing pin projection and striking energy (no cold/gummy grease in the bolt).

As for the practical end of it, get a 100 tray of CCI 450s/CCI No. 41s and just test back-to-back and you'll have your answer. You may consider that Re16/4451, Peterson Brass, 130-140 match projectiles, barrel life, quality LR range time etc. do not come cheap, so why volunteer to use what you know may be an inferior component that will only waste your time, money and cause frustration?