• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder Storage ?

Don-n-Texas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2011
Houston now in Denton County
I have some question about storing powder. I never had more than 2 lbs and just stored it on my bench.

But now I'm thinking about starting a rainy day stash of 10 to 15 lbs and 3,000 to 5,000 primers.

What safety concerns should I have and what precautions should I take?

Thank you for you time and advice.

Re: Powder Storage ?

^ thats not a bad idea, for storage on the cheap. should be able to find an old used frig for a few bucks.

I will keep that in mind when i finally get enough room to consider it
smile.gif

I see you are from Houston, which means you have have a humidity issue if stored outside, say in a garage.

Here in San Antonio we don't have as much humidity so I just keep powder in a closet inside an air conditioned room. I keep powder and primers a good distance from each other.

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred Seaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was recently advised to use old fridges and freezers. In the event of a fire, insulated. Easy to fit with locks. </div></div>

That is a really bad idea. Large amounts of powder should be stored in a wooden box of some sort. The idea being that in case of some catasrophic occurence, the box will give way rather than hold tight and become a bomb.
!

Ask someone who does it for a living, like your local components supplier/gun dealer. There will almost certainly be local ordinances governing the subject, and they will be in compliance.

When in doubt, go to the source.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred Seaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was recently advised to use old fridges and freezers. In the event of a fire, insulated. Easy to fit with locks. </div></div>

That is a really bad idea. Large amounts of powder should be stored in a wooden box of some sort. The idea being that in case of some catasrophic occurence, the box will give way rather than hold tight and become a bomb.
! </div></div>Yeah, I thought about that.

My local supplier has to keep his in a full gun safe, I assume same problem.

I thought about putting some vents in the fridge to stop any pressure build up.

I keep 10 lb supply for aJIC scenario, been in the file cabinet with 10k primers for 6 years now. Am in Fla but its in an the house iwth AC. Wondering how long the powder will stay good in these conditions myself. Looking at adding another 16 lbs with abnother 10 k primers soon.

Gun safe+heat=bomb. If you use fridge, install a "weak side"...cut a section out of one side and put in a piece of half inch plywood. You can silicone glue it in and paint it to match the fridge. In the event of a pressure excursion it will pop out with out spraying shrapnel. Most of the Fed standards I have seen have called for a one inch thick wooden box for storage, with a limit of 24 pounds or so of propellent.

Just store your powder in a cool dry place. Just don't store it in a matter that can harm local FD, a safe, etc..
Whether primers are next to powder should make no difference, if your house goes up in flames, it'll be the least of your worries.
The old fridge is a somewhat cool idea, but cabinets, shelves to me are a wiser idea. Most of our reloading areas are somewhat confined, and a fridge takes up a pretty good size footprint on the floor, if you have to have one, put beer in it!!
Denying access to children would be wise also.

Thank you everyone for your time and experience.

I found this from Alliant Powder.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx#consider

I got this out of the article.

"10-3.6 Smokeless propellants shall be stored in shipping containers specified by U. S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations.

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness."

I can either use my shelf or build a box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you have to have one, put beer in it!!
Denying access to children would be wise also. </div></div>
Always keep your beer locked up from your kids. lol