• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

powder suggestions for 223

mustanggt1995

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2009
petersburg, indiana
For years i have shot 25.3 grains of varget with a 69 smk through my ar15 with great success. I recently got a dillion 550 and decide to start loading my 223 on my ar on it. I when to the range today with several loads of A2230 and H335 powering my 69 grain smks. The best i was able to acheive was 1 moa where as with varget i was able to hold around .5 moa. Do you guys have any suggestions on a different powder that will feed through my dillion and get better results with this bullet. If not i may just go down to a lighter bullet. Thanks for any help you guys cant give.

Re: powder suggestions for 223

Sierra suggests 69SMK/25.5gr W748 for 20", 1:7" AR as that bullet/rifle's accuracy load. For out to 300, Sierra suggests 26.1gr./27.5gr. W748 as the Min/Max for their 52SMK.

I have used 27.5 w748/52gr. SMK as an accuracy load with a 700VLS .223 and it's a tackdriver. (edit 8/22/11: 50gr Nos BT and 26.5gr W748 us a nice, mild 200yd load as of yesterday's FV200 Match)

52SMK/26.0 Varget is either excellent, or there's something wrong with with your AR.

I drop my charges with the 550, then weigh them and reintroduce the corrected load to the case via a drop tube.

Greg

Another recommendation for W748 here. I use it with everything from 50gr V-Max's to 75gr Hornady BTHP's with great results in my AR's. Plus, it flows like water from a powder dispenser. My RCBS uniflow will always drop it within .1gr of the charge weight, but most times it's dead on the money.

I find it burns a little dirty, but most propellents will tend clean up somewhat when you warm up the loads a bit. I'd rather keep them moderate-tame and soak the bore a little longer with the foam. I have seldom found any truly realistic benefits from running max-ish loads.

Greg

Varget for the heavier bullets is usually best, but the slowest powder I'd use in an AR platform.

Benchmark actually works quite well from an accuracy perspective about 21.1gr for a 77gr SMK in LC brass, you will lose some velocity, but it will flow a little better with a Dillon setup.

Benchmark is really best for 60gr and lighter. 8208XBR can work. All three of these have good temp stability.

For water like powder flow through a dillon or any progressive press, TAC is good for 69gr plus projectiles. With a little less temp stability - but not nearly as bad as other spherical powders.

I like Blue Dot for 223.
It will often not cycle an AR15, the velocity and pressure are lower, but the barrel stays cool and clean at 100 shots/hour.

Working out some loads right now with Tac. Meters very consistently out of my 550. Very good consistency compared to Varget I was using previously. I am still working up a load but Tac seems to be my powder for now with 77gr Noslers (still deciding between 23.8-24.1gr of Tacs). Only been working with Tac this summer so haven't noticed the temp sensitivity yet.

If you're going to use Ramshot, I think that TAC is good for bullet weights up to 60gr, but I like Big Game for heavier than that.

I've been using WC844 in my .223s with great success.

Can't beat the price either!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're going to use Ramshot, I think that TAC is good for bullet weights up to 60gr, but I like Big Game for heavier than that. </div></div>

Greg - why not use Tac for above 60gr? I was hoping to develop a load with 77SMK and 77Noslers. I have made and shot 100 so far just fooling around. I thought Tac had similar properties to Varget. If not Tac, what do suggest that meters well and will give decent velocity? Big Game is your recommendation?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both my guns shoot well with 75 grain Hornady's and 23.5-24.0gr of RL-15. One bolt gun, and the other is an Ar.</div></div>

yup same here, and RL-15 is also my m118LR load clone so i use the same powder for my 223 and my 308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're going to use Ramshot, I think that TAC is good for bullet weights up to 60gr, but I like Big Game for heavier than that. </div></div>

Greg - why not use Tac for above 60gr? I was hoping to develop a load with 77SMK and 77Noslers. I have made and shot 100 so far just fooling around. I thought Tac had similar properties to Varget. If not Tac, what do suggest that meters well and will give decent velocity? Big Game is your recommendation? </div></div>

I use big game with the 75gr A-max in 223 rem with great success out of a bolt gun. I seat them long which gives me a little more case capacity. I can utilize the slower burning powder with that extra bit of case capacity.

Old school here. I worked up many of my .223 loads before lots of the powders mentioned came out. Of the 'older' powders, IMR4198 is the most accurate in my guns, with 748 a close second. But I admit I'm doing some experimenting with the heavier bullets that wouldn't shoot out of the older slow-twist barrels.

I second Casey simson win 748 is great ball powder it works well in my Bushmaster varminter.1/4 MOA at 100 yrds 24-25 grs though.

I developed a Big Game .223 load, 26.5gr(C*)/75gr HDY HPBT (Moly)/2.400" OAL that was exquisitely accurate out of a NIB Savage 10FP without generating alarming pressure signs. That's why.

Be my guest. If it doesn't shoot, some tweaking might help, but you may not be able to get much more powder into the .223 case.

I've found that N140 shoots extremely well with 69gr SMK's. No idea how it'll meter out of a 550 but it's extremely consistent out of my Chargemaster. I also use this powder for one of my 308 loads as well as my .303 loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogmessiah</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're going to use Ramshot, I think that TAC is good for bullet weights up to 60gr, but I like Big Game for heavier than that. </div></div>

Greg - why not use Tac for above 60gr? I was hoping to develop a load with 77SMK and 77Noslers. I have made and shot 100 so far just fooling around. I thought Tac had similar properties to Varget. If not Tac, what do suggest that meters well and will give decent velocity? Big Game is your recommendation? </div></div>

I use big game with the 75gr A-max in 223 rem with great success out of a bolt gun. I seat them long which gives me a little more case capacity. I can utilize the slower burning powder with that extra bit of case capacity. </div></div>

Ahh Gotcha. Not my situation at all. Loading for 16" AR.

That is what my reason was, but I am not sure what Greg's is. I believe he loads his in an AR as well but since he is using the HPBT he can still seat them at mag length and get a good fill.

Currently between AR's. Think my next one might be an MMR.

Another approach may be to modify your 550 set up.

There are some good hints & tips on tuning/polishing, etc. the Dillon powder measure on the Brian Enos site.

Dillon also make an adaptor made to allow you to replace their powder unit with one from the other makers, such as the Lyman 55, the RCBS Uniflow, etc.
You need the Dillon adaptor & a 450 powder die instead of the 550 die.
That done, you'd need to manually operate the measure but at least you'd still be able to use longer grained powders

BUT

There is now a linkage kit developed for the new Hornady LnL press that will switch whatever measure you add back to automatic dispense

...not a quick fix - but just thought it was worth bringing to your attention

I load 77SMK's up with some TAC in Lapua brass. I don't have the load data available to quote the charge weight. I load this on a Hornady LnL progressive and have great results. It will stack bullets on top of one another and I can load enough for a couple of weeks in an hour or so.
It works so I will develop a .308 load when time allows.

I am in the same boat as you. Used to single stage my 223 with Varget, but now use a progressive. I am in the process of making some loads with AR-Comp and TAC.

Try A2520. I like it more than A2230 for 68gr+ bullets.

I've never been very impressed with A2230, but A2520 is a very versatile powder capable of excellent accuracy.

H335 Works well in my 7t. 20in. WOA. It measures spot on out of my Redding BR measure. My 2 and 300 mag. length load is WCC brass, CCI450 primer, 24.6H335 and a 69gr. SMK.