• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder suggestions for 9mm with 3 inch barrel

edkern

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
I figure you rifle guys will load some handguns too. So, I have a Kahr PM9 to feed. I switched from precision delta 124 gr bullets to montana gold 124 gr because the MG bullets are more blunt and fit in the magazine more comfortably. I have been putting the MG 124gr FMJ's over 5.4gr Unique. I started reloading about a year ago. I started about 1 year ago with 1# of Unique, it was easy to work with, so I bought 8 more pounds. Now I'm running low again and want to consider my options before buying more.

What powder would you recommend I consider for future 9mm loads?

Re: Powder suggestions for 9mm with 3 inch barrel

At this time, I'd say "whatever you can get".

Otherwise, Titegroup works nice.

Vihtavuori 3N37. Very clean burning, meters great, low flash, a great 9mm powder. Sure its a little pricey, but I think its worth it & it is available.

If you are having good results with Unique I would stay with it. I use it on most all my handgun ammo from 38sp. to 45win mag.

If you can find it 231/HP38 works really well in my EMP ( 3.5 ) barrel.All I shoot are 124gn bullets.

I second the Vhit powder, exceptionally clean and because it costs a little more you will be able to find it.

I have used unique, with good success.
I switched to Tite-group, and love it. I use it for most of my handgun rounds---9mm, 40 S&W, 45ACP. What I like most is that I need less grains of powder,(I know, grammer, but I am meaning less weight, not individual grains,) pretty much across the board. This means even more loads per pound...
I really like the consistency in throws from my RCBS Dump, so consistent that I can vary from 10-20 rounds between check-weighs, and never have one out.
I like the groups that I get at the range too. I am not an expert marksman, and still can get about 4" groups at 30yd. For what I need, this is okay.

VihtaVouri is a great pick - look at powders like 320 (or 330) for your 124 grain or 115 grain bullets, and 340 (or 330) for 147 grain. 330 was made specifically for 9mm, but can be quite a bit more difficult to find than 320 or 340.

3N37 will work, but expect to use a little more powder per round. You can also get good results with WSF (Winchester Super Field), Unique, or a variety of similar moderately fast powders.

John

My Glock 26 works really well with 5.1 - 5.3 grains of Alliant Power Pistol & 125 gr. Zero JHP's.

I can tell you my last choice in the world would be Unique or Bullseye for a semi in 9mm.

Any suitable powder in the Vihta Vouri line would be a first choice, if you can find it. After that 231 and HP-38 are excellent choices.

Lastly whatever you can find will be better by far than what isn't available.

I don't have any 9mms that short, but I've had good luck with Viht N320 and 147gr plated RNs. It's not cheap, but it's worked well for me.

I would suggest something really close to the fast end of the burn rate chart.

If you shoot over a bench, check the bench surface for unburned kernels of powder.

I had been shooting a .45ACP/1911 using 700X, and it did that a lot. I switched to Red Dot and there was a lot of improvement.

I might recommend something even faster, but Red Dot is the fastest I've ever actually used myself. Unique is slower yet than 700X; good for a lot of things, but a really short barrel doesn't allow much time for a powder charge to burn completely.

When you go with a faster powder, drop the charge and work back up with reasonable caution.

Greg

i use bulleye, i load 124gr copperjacket 9mm and i use 4.0gr i can usally get about 1500rds out of a pound, it seems to burn clean and the targets keep going down so it seems to work for me.

I recently switched from 231 and PowerPistol to Hodgdon's LONGSHOT.
Gives good accuracy and velocity is on par or better than that of power pistol

I am using Hodgdon Longshot in my XD sub compact with good results. 5.0gr with 115gr or 124gr RN for plinking, 6.0gr for defensive loads with 115gr XTP's.