• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder through dies - do you use them?

Basic user

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2013
    How do you put your powder in your cases? One at a time with a funnel when they're all set up in the tray? Or do you use a powder through die? Any disadvantages of using these dies? I was interested in using one but I'm not sure if they suck or not.

For pistol, yes I use one, on a turret press. Lee die that flares the case mouth, topped with a Lee Autodisk with the adjustable charge bar upgrade.

Rifle, no I don't. I load rifle on a single stage, and after dropping powder into the case (sitting in a tray) with a funnel, I immediately seat the bullet. That way there is no way I can forget the powder.

I have, however, dumped powder into a case with no primer 🫨🤣

Just my two cents…..like above I think for range ammo on a pistol definitely the powder drop through dies is great. It’s fast and easy once your setup. If doing range ammo stuff for rifle then you could use a powder drop also and be fine. If your question is about better hand loaded ammo with the best sd then a more precise way of measuring and using a funnel to put in the case is the way to go.

Edited to add no they don’t suck at all. Just comes down to how precision you want or need you ammo to be.

Reactions: Basic user
    Just my two cents…..like above I think for range ammo on a pistol definitely the powder drop through dies is great. It’s fast and easy once your setup. If doing range ammo stuff for rifle then you could use a powder drop also and be fine. If your question is about better hand loaded ammo with the best sd then a more precise way of measuring and using a funnel to put in the case is the way to go.

Edited to add no they don’t suck at all. Just comes down to how precision you want or need you ammo to be.
    I'm wanting all my ammo to be precise these days. I have an autotrickler on order, so the measure will be decent, i guess it's just the possibility of the powder sticking to the walls of the die that could be the only hazard; is that possible?

No I don’t think that it sticking should be of a concern. Ask yourself though on say 9mm or 55fmj 5.56 training ammo that your just punching holes in paper or hitting a steel plate at moderate ranges does it need to be precision? The minor discrepancy in powder throw weights with any type of powder drop system will do nothing for your shooting but will save you an ass load of time reloading. More time shooting is better. Imo just get picky on precision rifle and hunting ammo everything else a drop type of system is all you need to do. Shoot more it’s better!

I'm wanting all my ammo to be precise these days. I have an autotrickler on order, so the measure will be decent, i guess it's just the possibility of the powder sticking to the walls of the die that could be the only hazard; is that possible?

Just based on this and some of your other posts lately, I suggest you'd be wise to look around and read a lot about what works well for other people and how they've got things set up, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel and work it all out for yourself. This one and the scope adjustment thread are particularly good examples.

To answer your question, since I'm not a total dick, no, powder doesn't present a hazard from sticking to the walls of the powder die. This is also not a type of die that makes sense to use on a single stage press; it's mostly for progressive presses where using one is almost always part of the standard die setup the manufacturer intended, and occasionally for turret presses.

Just based on this and some of your other posts lately, I suggest you'd be wise to look around and read a lot about what works well for other people and how they've got things set up, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel and work it all out for yourself. This one and the scope adjustment thread are particularly good examples.

To answer your question, since I'm not a total dick, no, powder doesn't present a hazard from sticking to the walls of the powder die. This is also not a type of die that makes sense to use on a single stage press; it's mostly for progressive presses where using one is almost always part of the standard die setup the manufacturer intended, and occasionally for turret presses.
    That's precisely what I'm doing; trying to read up on what works for other people; And how is contemplating that certain die trying to reinvent the wheel? The question was clear, and if I got a ton of people that responded back with "I get a lot of problems with that setup" then I would take that as one of my facets of research and aggregate it with all my other responses from other sites and in person questions and make a decision based off of that. And yes, my press is a turret press so yea. Using a powder through die on a single stage would be pretty silly lol.

That's precisely what I'm doing; trying to read up on what works for other people; And how is contemplating that certain die trying to reinvent the wheel? The question was clear, and if I got a ton of people that responded back with "I get a lot of problems with that setup" then I would take that as one of my facets of research and aggregate it with all my other responses from other sites and in person questions and make a decision based off of that. And yes, my press is a turret press so yea. Using a powder through die on a single stage would be pretty silly lol.

Yes, it would be. But you didn't specify what kind of press setup you're using, and with such a basic question you can't expect people to assume you know that.