• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Powdercoating barrel and action

pwizl

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2011
Bellingham, WA
Has anyone done this or heard of it being done? I would have them done in separate pieces and mask off and plug all critical areas before applying the coating. It's very durable and provides excellent protection and is also pretty cheap. Is there any reason not to do it?

Re: Powdercoating barrel and action

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARShuter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do it all the time just have to watch clearances. Not just internal but stock fit also.</div></div>

I was planning on doing the powdercoating before bedding and final fitment to the stock, I figured that would alleviate some of the possible fit issues.

I look at this like using bed liner on internal engine parts. It's just not really suitable for the application.

Look up Cerakote. It's made by the same company that makes powder for powder coating. Cerakote is designed from the start for firearms and actually complements and enhances the properties of a firearm. In my opinion powder coating is way too thick for firearms.

If you do it you must post pictures. I can only imagine it will look like it was painted with syrup.

Have you looked at QPQ..it is indestructible!!!

I once had this on a bolt gun, and you could not leave marks on the finish with a course file. Additonally, it has natural lubricity.

Here is some information on it:

Quench polish quench (QPQ) is a specialized type of nitrocarburizing case hardening that increases corrosion resistance, originally developed by the Kolene Company. The name refers to the three steps involved: nitrocarburizing, polishing, and post-oxidizing.[1]

This process is usually used when two or more of the following properties are required in a workpiece: wear resistance, corrosion resistance, lubricity, or fatigue strength.