• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Power Pitol Powder Etching to Chargemaster

Tactical

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2001
Calif
www.tacticalintervention.com
OK, only been loading for about 35 years so have not seen everything but yesterday I saw something weird. Called a friend with even more experience loading than me. He has never seen it but this is the first time either of us have used Power Pistol Powder. Between us we have probably ran several thousand pounds of powders while loading and never saw anything like this before.

I have been loading some 45 Super and was using Power Pistol Powder in my RCBS Chargemaster.

When I went to change the powder back to rifle powder it just would not fall out completely. I have a layer around everything the powder touched. I tried shaking it out but no luck. I tried wipping with cloth but no luck. I finially had to use a small scrub brush, bore brush and elbow grease to remove it. Took about an hour and the powder had etched right into the plastic. Powder had been in meassure one week.

Now I would worry about the powder but the loads it is producing are fantastic and fast.

Anyone know if this powder does this as a norm?

Re: Power Pitol Powder Etching to Chargemaster

I had some IMR 4198 do the same thing to an RBCS Uniflow years ago but I'm thinking I left the powder in there for more than one week. I had to brush the powder out but it wasn't as stuck as you described. The Uniflow still works fine BTW.

IIRC the instructions for the CM warn about leaving powder in the hopper, but I recently left some in there for 2-3 weeks with no probs - don't remember if it was Varget or 4064. I don't know if there is something different about your powder or if any powder would do the same under the right conditions.

I'd have to say it's somewhat 'normal', in a sense. I had inadvertently left some 2400 in my Pact unit for some time. When I cam back to it, it too had 'fused' into a layer wherever the powder had touched the plastic. Same removal process as yours.

When I checked the book about it, it said something to the effect of "the nitro-cellulose coatings" of double-base powders can have a corrosive effect on some plastics. Be sure to empty hoppers/dispensers after each use.

Piss-poor quote, buddy, but it was along that line. Hope that helps. And this was back about a dozen or so years ago, and everything is still working fine to this day. NO complaints.

Thanks. Still weird. Non of my other pwoders do this but this is first time run Chargemaster with pistol powder. Usually just run the powder meassure with pistol stuff and usually light loads of Bullseye. The rifle powders, N140,1450,N540,550,56,570, H4895, Rl10,15,17,22,25, Varget, H4350,H4831 and several other shave been left in far longer to no bad effects

Sure was a PIA to get out

Just discovered this exact problem tonight and oh what fun. Mine was holding Hodgdon Titegroup that I was doing load development on for my 1911 in 40 S&W. It's been in there for about 2 weeks and it's caked on to say the least. After spending about 20-30 minutes, I got most of it out and then broke one of the motor wires. As I don't own a soldering gun, and it's about to end up in the back yard at this point, I'm just going to buy a replacement.

Lesson learned...and annoying one, but learned.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uscbigdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just discovered this exact problem tonight and oh what fun. Mine was holding Hodgdon Titegroup that I was doing load development on for my 1911 in 40 S&W. It's been in there for about 2 weeks and it's caked on to say the least. After spending about 20-30 minutes, I got most of it out and then broke one of the motor wires. As I don't own a soldering gun, and it's about to end up in the back yard at this point, I'm just going to buy a replacement.

Rich
</div></div>

I bet if you send it back to rcbs, they will repair or replace it.

My RCBS Uniflow is older than time itself. It has had more than its fair share of powder corrosion!

My 550 I bought new. Titegroup yellows the hopper a bit, but Blue Dot REALLY burns in if you leave it for a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uscbigdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just discovered this exact problem tonight and oh what fun. Mine was holding Hodgdon Titegroup that I was doing load development on for my 1911 in 40 S&W. It's been in there for about 2 weeks and it's caked on to say the least. After spending about 20-30 minutes, I got most of it out and then broke one of the motor wires. As I don't own a soldering gun, and it's about to end up in the back yard at this point, I'm just going to buy a replacement.

Rich
</div></div>
If your throwing it out your welcome to throw it in my back yard
grin.gif

I hope that hasn't happened to mine. There has been about a 1/2 lb of powder left in there for the past 3 weeks.

I've run a lot of power pistol threw my chargemasters and it happens very fast. I was pretty careful to empty them after every session, but one night I didn't and the next day they were etched.