• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Power pro varmit in 308

Sincerd

Drone
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2019
Freestate
Whats up?

So... i have tried a ton of powder throughout my time as a reloader. Nothing has made an impression on me like power pro varmit. In 223 it can push 77 grain bullets 2750+ in a 14.5 and show NOTHING but flattened primers.

I know those loads are over pressure but some how it doesn't show. In any rifle I've shot them in. Needless to say I love that powder. What I dont like, is the amount of data for it. There's like...nothing for 308.

I found a small Speer page for 125 gr bullets in 308 but looking for something heavier. Like 168-178 grqin range. I KNOW the powder will work. What I dont kbow is what a safe starting point is, or published load data. Any help?

Ps: p9wder not in quickload.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but from what I can see from Alliant's website and other descriptions of the powder, it just doesn't look like it's a powder that's a good fit for a .308 case. It appears to be a fast burning powder, it's spherical and is a high density powder where it seems if one fills a .308 case just to 80% one is going to run into pressure issues. And one really doesn't want to fill cases to 80% or less, huh?

But . . . if you might fin Alliant's Power Pro 2000MR a good choice, since you like the Varmint. I've tried the Power Pro 2000MR in my .308 and it's done quite well and produces some nice velocities. As much as I like it, I don't use it as my shooting taking place in Arizona where extreme variance in heat occurs and this powder is a little too heat sensitive for me. Power Pro Varmint is pretty close to the same heat sensitivity, so I wouldn't think of trying it.

Alliant's various Power Pro powders are not in QuickLoad as Alliant apparently doesn't like to share details for that line of their powders (like trying to maintain trade secrets about the powder) . . . from what I've read in comments from an employee of Alliant.

Whats up?

So... i have tried a ton of powder throughout my time as a reloader. Nothing has made an impression on me like power pro varmit. In 223 it can push bullets 2750+ in a 14.5 and show NOTHING but flattened primers.

I know those loads are over pressure but some how it doesn't show. In any rifle I've shot them in. Needless to say I love that powder. What I dont like, is the amount of data for it. There's like...nothing for 308.

I found a small Speer page for 125 gr bullets in 308 but looking for something heavier. Like 168-178 grqin range. I KNOW the powder will work. What I dont kbow is what a safe starting point is, or published load data. Any help?

Well the first clue is in the name Varmint , going to the Alliant website there’s no data with This powder with the 308 Winchester
But there is ton of data for the 204 Ruger and the 223 Remington, 22-250, 243, and so on .

Whats up?

So... i have tried a ton of powder throughout my time as a reloader. Nothing has made an impression on me like power pro varmit. In 223 it can push 77 grain bullets 2750+ in a 14.5 and show NOTHING but flattened primers.

Well if one does a some interpolation with the data that Alliant puts on their website for this powder, I suppose one can get some idea as to where to start. For example, if I plug in the numbers for a 30-30 and a 170 gr Speer, I can adjust the burn rate to get what they publish as a velocity (though I start with a powder that's somewhat fast and has a similar density. . . like, maybe CFE223). Then plug in the .308 cartridge and bullet info. If you have QuickLoad, see what you come up with.

e.g.:

Pro Varmint 30-30.jpg

Pro Varmint 308.jpg

Johnny’s Reloading did a video on Varmint in 308. It surprised him. A word of warning on 2000MR. When I used it with 178 AMax in a 20” barrel, it had extreme muzzle flash and extremely loud report. The powder is really too slow for a 20”barrel. I’d stay away from this powder in an AR unless I had an adjustable gas block.