• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns PPQ rear sight problem

gimpy

One-Legged Grunt
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2011
Illinois
Has anyone here had an issue with the rear sights on a PPQ? Mine wants to slide freely from side to side. I've heard of shimming ondernesth the sight or using loc-tite to provide the necessary friction, but wanted to see if anyone else has tried to fix this problem.

Re: PPQ rear sight problem

Slide as in, you push side to side with very little force and the sights move.

If the PPQ has the same type rear as the P99 it sounds like (this is sort of a WAG) the plunger is gone and the threads aren't holding on the windage screw?

What you should be seeing:

sRyMH.png

Is anything missing on yours?

Same thing. The pistol is brand new. I've ended up shimming with tape for the time being. If I thought putting aftermarket sights on would help, I'd go that route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gimpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Same thing. The pistol is brand new. I've ended up shimming with tape for the time being. If I thought putting aftermarket sights on would help, I'd go that route. </div></div>

I believe that Dawson makes a set for traditional target. I have Meps tritium on my P99, and the screw/plunger arrangement is the same. The front attaches through a screw that comes up through the slide from underneath and battens down with a tool that spins its multisided head from underneath. Loc-Tite is definitely recommended.

Have you given the Loc-Tite a shot? I really think that would be the way to go. I fail to see where the thinking was when they decided to use plastic for the rear sights.. Saved a few cents?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gimpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you given the Loc-Tite a shot? I really think that would be the way to go. I fail to see where the thinking was when they decided to use plastic for the rear sights.. Saved a few cents? </div></div>

Loc-Tite for the front sight, yes, but not for the rear, no, because it defeats the idea of adjustables. I don't remember the P99 having plastic sights when it came to me, and I definitely know that the Meprolights aren't plastic. Unfortunately, the PPQ gains an ambidextrous slide stop at the cost of no second shot capability, as in the P99, and a takedown procedure that requires a trigger pull to begin, which I loathe. I don't see the PPQ as an improvement over the P99 in any respect, especially not over the AS models. Instead, it seems like a sop to corporate lawyers and a me-too effort. The P99 in AS absolutely rocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gimpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you given the Loc-Tite a shot? I really think that would be the way to go. I fail to see where the thinking was when they decided to use plastic for the rear sights.. Saved a few cents? </div></div>

Loc-Tite for the front sight, yes, but not for the rear, no, because it defeats the idea of adjustables. I don't remember the P99 having plastic sights when it came to me, and I definitely know that the Meprolights aren't plastic. Unfortunately, the PPQ gains an ambidextrous slide stop at the cost of no second shot capability, as in the P99, and a takedown procedure that requires a trigger pull to begin, which I loathe. I don't see the PPQ as an improvement over the P99 in any respect, especially not over the AS models. Instead, it seems like a sop to corporate lawyers and a me-too effort. The P99 in AS absolutely rocks. </div></div>

While the P99 AS is close to the top of my wish list and I have never fired one, the PPQ is the best striker fired pistol I have ever fired. And I have probably fired around 50 to 70 different types. If it is as reliable as a Glock I would say best ever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShortRangeSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gimpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you given the Loc-Tite a shot? I really think that would be the way to go. I fail to see where the thinking was when they decided to use plastic for the rear sights.. Saved a few cents? </div></div>

Loc-Tite for the front sight, yes, but not for the rear, no, because it defeats the idea of adjustables. I don't remember the P99 having plastic sights when it came to me, and I definitely know that the Meprolights aren't plastic. Unfortunately, the PPQ gains an ambidextrous slide stop at the cost of no second shot capability, as in the P99, and a takedown procedure that requires a trigger pull to begin, which I loathe. I don't see the PPQ as an improvement over the P99 in any respect, especially not over the AS models. Instead, it seems like a sop to corporate lawyers and a me-too effort. The P99 in AS absolutely rocks. </div></div>

While the P99 AS is close to the top of my wish list and I have never fired one, the PPQ is the best striker fired pistol I have ever fired. And I have probably fired around 50 to 70 different types. If it is as reliable as a Glock I would say best ever. </div></div>

Go find a P99. Trust me.

Has anyone here had an issue with the rear sights on a PPQ? Mine wants to slide freely from side to side. I've heard of shimming ondernesth the sight or using loc-tite to provide the necessary friction, but wanted to see if anyone else has tried to fix this problem.

Hey Gimpy, are you still around? Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm asking because I'm experiencing the same issue with my PPQ, ever since I installed a set of Trijicon night sights. Or, if anybody else has experienced this issue, I'd sure like to hear about it. Thanks.

Djach

The best advice I can give is to look at the picture posted by Veer G. My problem ended up being how that set screw was sitting.

The best advice I can give is to look at the picture posted by Veer G. My problem ended up being how that set screw was sitting.

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I'll just have to experiment with it some more at the range.

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 19

I have had all manner of striker fired pistols in the past. I am essentially a 1911 guy now with the exception of a PPQ Navy, because it is great. The trigger and ergos are super. The only thing that is marginal are the sights. Don't loc tite, just ditch them for Dawson precision aftermarket sites.

If the PPQ has the same type rear as the P99 it sounds like (this is sort of a WAG) the plunger is gone and the threads aren't holding on the windage screw?

What you should be seeing:

sRyMH.png

Is anything missing on yours?
I had been struggling with the loose rear sight for two days, until I logged onto this forum. The above picture from Veer G was the thing that helped solve the problem. What I learned subsequently was that, to lock in the sight, the slot on the plunger head needs to be parallel with the screw. Hope this helps. I love this gun but the sights are not worthy. Weird design and I've learned my lesson- don't tweek the PPQ rear sight! I'm done.