• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Practice Barrels

Bigrederic

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2018
Petersburg Alaska
So, after participating in my first PRS match, and being seriously bitten by the bug I have decided it I intend to travle to several more matches and classes in the next year. But that also means I want to practice even more while I am home on my rural isolated Alaskan island.

So I already am having a backup barrel spun up, to have a spare. I alsonam considering having a practice barrel spun up to practice with either .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a crap ton of components for both and it would allow me to conserve my valuable small rifle primers and harder to come by 6mm projectiles.

Not that 6GT barrels seem to burn out fast but .308 barrels seem to last forever.

So anyone have any suggestions on caliber for practice??

Also I am considering buying a economical SS prefit from proof as it is about half the cost of using my gunsmith. But my smith is top notch and I feel disloyal to my smith buying a prefit from Proof. Opinions??

I was convinced at 1500 rounds with my 6.5 I would need to buy another barrel and when I hit 2k I was sure I needed on at 4k I was thinking the end was surly close by when It hit 7000 the barrel told me it was time ( almost funny how clear it was something wasn't right ) . It's nice to have back ups better to have and not need than need and not have . And you never know what could happen tomorrow . Always be prepared is good motto . Id buy more if I could but at a grand a piece two was and is my limit for now . Here's to hopping your barrel last forever . I want to put on my next barrel once I get all the tools to do the job properly maybe .

308 is good as you’ll have more recoil to practice the fundamentals with. If you have the ability, a 223 trainer is super cheap on ammo, but will require a different bolt face

Reactions: Bigrederic
Honestly .223 is one of the best practice rounds. Cheaper ammo, low recoil, and accurate.

I have slowly been seeing some 223. I have a pretty good supply from pre-pandemic times though.

I have slowly been seeing some 223. I have a pretty good supply from pre-pandemic times though.
Problem for this is, I live on a rural Alaskan Island... So availability to purchase this stuff is really low. I have work 223/556 stuff... and surplus stuff I keep around. But beyond that I dont have much. I do have a fair amount of primers ( 7k or so small and 4-7k large if I include magnum). I also have north of 70lbs of powder for various rifles. I buy reloading supplies and ship them to my dads in Washington and barge them up when the amount get to where I want it to be. The Hazmat fee for the barge is $80 on top of the shipping weight.

Can be loaded down to 125 gr bullets if it's just for training close range. Can be loaded heavy for large animals or long range.. Barrel life better than even a 223.

Still more recoil than a 223. I don't understand why people want trainers with less recoil honestly.

Reactions: tnichols
I just pick up a proof 223 for my Zeus to practice barrel shoots great and with the 80 eldms the dope is pretty close to being the same