• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Practice with a 22 in preparation for long range

Bilco1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2021
Kingwood, tx
Howdy. I recently got some advice to start training for long range by beginning with a 22. I have a 10/22, so I'm looking for suggestions on a barrel and stock. Any advice for starting training with a 10/22? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
No. Go buy it. It's cheap.

Green mountain barrel and a krg bravo. Don't forget the kidd trigger.

Reactions: Bilco1
Does your 10/22 have a nice first focal plane scope on it? If so just go to a match with some DOPE from 50 yards to 100 (or more)

Download the COF from the NRL22 site and practice! If you don’t have the targets, you can still practice the positions.
I do a lot of transitions from 50 to 100 yards since I have a birm that allows for that - it will show you how much time is needed for dialing vs. hold over...
I agree that not buying anything until you shoot at least one match will save you $.

make whatever you do fun.

Have you tried shooting at 50 and 100 with just what you have? You wont know if the upgrades do any good for you unless you set a benchmark for yourself first.

a bb gun and a cross multiple back yard course , hop a few fences hit a few well placed targets a rope climb up a 20 foot tree you soon have every kid in the neighborhood wanting to take part winning prizes and the minds of soon to be pro communist lefties as they will want a range of there own as well not much cheaper than a good old fashion bb gun not to mention the added benefit of helping other people lose weight throw in the neighbors yard full of dogs you can make it past the attack beagles before they lick your face to death score points you could even charge a dollar or so have refreshments ( other than coke products since they are pro communist ) maybe even sell hot dogs .

a bb gun and a cross multiple back yard course , hop a few fences hit a few well placed targets a rope climb up a 20 foot tree you soon have every kid in the neighborhood wanting to take part winning prizes and the minds of soon to be pro communist lefties as they will want a range of there own as well not much cheaper than a good old fashion bb gun not to mention the added benefit of helping other people lose weight throw in the neighbors yard full of dogs you can make it past the attack beagles before they lick your face to death score points you could even charge a dollar or so have refreshments ( other than coke products since they are pro communist ) maybe even sell hot dogs .
Am i stroking out? I mean its a cool idea... but where did this come from? Fuck it, add a slip and slide shooting stange and im in.

Id spend the money for upgrading the 1022 and buying ammo and an ok scope.

You will probably get better groups with a bolt action.

And id actually recommend a quality pcp airgun like an fx and a hand pump.

It's dead quiet, even match pellets are available and cheap, you might be able to practice at home, and the loopy trajectory means you really have to pay attention to environmental conditions, etc.

If you prefer a more traditional stock consider either a Boyd's Pro Varmint or a Victor Titan 10/22 stock. If you prefer more of a chassis type design I'd recommend the Oryx 10/22 Chassis. Ive been very happy with a Victor Titan Stock/18" ER Shaw barrel combo that I got from ER Shaw.

The other thing that can be challenging with 10/22 is trigger pull. Best recommendation is get a Kidd drop-in trigger, but that's pricey. The budget recommendation is getting a Kidd Trigger kit.

If you're planning on entering PRS-style comps you'll want to add an auto-Bolt-release - they're only $10 but are invaluable in comps - ask me how I know! LOL! Timed out on my first stage fiddling with the bolt.

The other recommendation is a good bipod - in my opinion, Harris is fine for rimfire.

You're going to want a good first-focal-plane scope or a good fixed focus scope. Honestly, unless you're planning on shooting Bench Rest comps, I would go with either an Athlon Talos 4-14x44 BTR FFP scope or maybe an SWFA 12X fixed power scope.

Either way, you'll want an EGW 40 MOA rail to get you that extra elevation for longer range shooting. Remember, 200yds with 22lr is like 800yds with 308.

Best wishes! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Howdy. I actually have a 10x swfa scope. I ordered a 40 moa rail the other day. I need to install them and go shoot. The NRL22 competition looks cool. For that I can only replace the trigger to stay in the base class. I think I'll start there. Now to scavenge for different 22lr rounds to see what shoots best.

Also, as far as a bipod goes, it seems the best way is to install swivel studs (or find someone who can confidently). I couldn't find a reliable replacement (the tactical barrel band seemed like a viable option but the ones I found were cheap plastic). Am I missing a better option?

Thank you for the great recommendations! I'll hang onto these for future reference.

Reactions: Davo308