• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Practicing for long range - options when you are capped at 200 yards??

I have a rimfire range. I have targets out to about 180 yards, just because of the landscape. I'm shooting CCI SV, out of a Tikka T1X and I'm at about 8 mils in elevation for the back targets, assuming a 25 yard zero. I have a centerfire range out to 400, but I don't bother shooting rimfire out there, fwiw. The steel on the centerfire range is pretty heavy duty and it can be hard to hear the impacts.

If you keep it strictly rimfire (I set mine up using handgun steel, just for the option), you can use really, really thin steel. If you hang gongs that just have a center hole, you can then get good feedback on which side of the plate you are hitting, because anything other than a center hit will cause the plate to tip in that direction. I really like to have multiple plate sizes, at the same range. So for example at 140 yards have an 8" plate, and a 4" plate. This lets me fine tune my wind calls and then work on the smaller plates, or work on shooting positions, etc. I can usually hit the 8" standing, unsupported, while the 4" is pretty much a nonstarter for that shooting position. I really don't think even MOA targets are a good idea for rimfire once you start pushing the distance back because I've never seen a .22 LR that can consistently shoot MOA past 100, and that gets magnified the further back you go.

There are a lot of good KYL targets you could set up at 100 if you really wanted to work on MOA/precision.