• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing prairie dogs

wfjames22

trigger yanker
Minuteman
  • May 8, 2009
    SW TN
    Looking for a little help, if anyone can oblige. A buddy, my dad and I have been going to SD for the past couple of years in June to shoot prairie dogs for 4 days. We have had a good experience and a few not so good. The place we went last year was good but the rancher/outfitter only had 2 towns for us to shoot and we would prefer to shoot a new town every day, if possible. We are thinking about going back to his place and it would be nice if we could secure another couple of large towns to shoot on while we are there. If we go that route, they would need to be within an hours drive of Chamberlain. We are not opposed to going a totally different direction if we need to, and can stay in a hotel to shoot a different area.

I am wondering if anyone has or knows someone who will allow us to pay a trespass fee to shoot prairie dogs. If you can help, let me know.

Re: prairie dogs

Garys Guns 2 in Winner has a list of farmers and other people in the area that will allow you to shoot dogs off there place. There # is 605-842-3868

we used to have 10's of 1000's but the plague came through, they are coming back slowly, it might be a couple more years... and i'm a good 2.5 hrs west of chamberlain.

I heard about the plauge too. Im going to Wood, SD the firs weekend in May 2011. The people who set me up with a rental house have connections with a Native American guide who were are paying to take us on tribal land to shoot dogs. I guess tribal land has a good popoulation of dogs, but this will be my first time going there to hunt prairie dogs. Has anyone else heard this or hunted tribal land?

Khall540 those Tribal land hunts can get alittle harry at times all they want is your money and are usally shit faced when they show up to guide. Not all of the guides are like this and some can be pretty nice just keep an eye on whats going on.

I would save the money and jsut go talk to ranchers as most will let you on to shoot them. If they do send them a bottle of their favorite beverage for xmas and you will have a place to hunt. A little apreciation goes a long ways they spread the word you are good guys and other oportunitys can arise.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll take my chances and see how this hunt goes...I guess I'd rather have a drunk guide to give us land to shoot some dogs on than the rainy weather that has been going on around here

it has rained here every other day so nothing differnet. drunk might have land but if that land has pdogs is the question. If he got permision is the next thing. I have heard of guys who got nailed for tresspassing becaue their guide told them it was land he could hunt but was full of shit.

I hunted quite a few years down near cona basin, east of scenic and had nothing but great results. Alot of ranchers used to let people hunt just by knocking on there door and being courtious. I am not sure if this is the case anymore as it has been a few years since I hunted down there. Mostly stick close to home now to shoot them.

I heading out there in the same area in a few weeks.How was the hunting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leprechaun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heading out there in the same area in a few weeks.How was the hunting? </div></div>

Same here, we are headed out June 14, any updates?

Scott,

can you give us a update when you get back

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leprechaun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott,

can you give us a update when you get back </div></div>

Will do, we are headed to SD and possibly WY with VarmintSlayer here at the Hide, he has been talking with my buddy JonAddis84.