• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pre 64 Mod 70

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
I have an itch for one of these. What I am really wanting is one of the heavy "bull guns." There was one for sale here a few weeks ago, but the funds did not allow me to get it. To me, those are just incredibly cool looking rifles. I think I would like to mount a Unertl on it and have a good time putting rounds downrange with an old school tool.

What have your experiences been with these rifles- pro or con.

Thanks,

david

Re: Pre 64 Mod 70

If you have the pre-64 itch.......... scratch it. I have a couple pre-64 hunting rifles love them. Once upon a time I had a pre-64, 300 H&H factory target rifle. Bought it off Larry Moore the last guy to win Wimbledon with a 30-06.

They're nice rifles, I've got a few in the collection. Not shooters because of what they are, but I've shot a few as well. Can't go wrong with the early Model 70's.

Criver, it is funny you mentioned the 300 H&H. I guess the first spark I had about owning a pre-64 was after I read some of Elmer Keith's work where he mentioned spec'ing out a .300 H&H for Ben Comfort that Ben used at Wimbledon. It was really funny when I first read the story because he was talking about a ".300 Mag" and I knew the .300 Win Mag did not come out until long after he spec'd Ben's rifle. At the time, I did not know he was talking about the H&H.

Thank you for interesting comment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phillik747</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arnt the FN SPR's based off of the Pre-64 model 70? I hear they are very nice rifles. </div></div>

Yes, they are. But I want the walnut and nostalgia. I thought about getting one of those and having it built up the way I wanted, but it will not be the same. It would be like using artificial sweetener in a cheesecake. I have done it, but it isn't the same.

nashlaw: Go for it. I have one of the NM that I bought back in the late 90's. Shelled out (for that time)the pricely sum of $800. Now that I'm 50, throwing a scope on it is looking better all the time. Period correct scope of course.

I would reccomend everyone to own at least one. I would take a pre-64 controlled feed (preference)over just about any other action any day of the week.

I am very fond of them personally,and have a few in the stable.

Very fine rifles indeed.

That said,I can't say anything justifies the premium they fetch unless you are a collector.

What happened to the M70 in 1964?

They are rough compared to, say, a Dakota. Even a CZ can be a great deal in comparison. I just don't think the value is there.

I like the push feed Winchester action a lot, as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What happened to the M70 in 1964? </div></div>

Just a few changes in 64' were:

The bolt changed (not unlike a R700 bolt)

The old Mauser type claw extractor was replaced with a small wedge type extractor (push feed)

The older machined trigger guard and floor plate was replaced with an alloy

Newer stocks were impressed rather than the previous checkering

Basically it went from a work of art and craftsmanship to a more cost effective production method. Not to say any less reliable,but less desirable among some enthusiasts of the earlier rifles.

One of the best cost to feature options to be had is to get a post 92 M70. It went back to take a lot from the pre-64's and coupled that with newer technology. You can now have a controlled round push feed system. (Shadow line for example)

Right next to the 1903 Springfield the Pre 64 Model 70 is one of the all time greatest bolt action rifles in my opinion. I recently completed mine in Vietnam era USMC Sniper form, I like the classic lines and this rifle has a great balance and feel to it. Shoots fairly well for a WWII era rifle and 50+ year old optics.

DSC_5375.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right next to the 1903 Springfield the Pre 64 Model 70 is one of the all time greatest bolt action rifles in my opinion. I recently completed mine in Vietnam era USMC Sniper form, I like the classic lines and this rifle has a great balance and feel to it. Shoots fairly well for a WWII era rifle and 50+ year old optics.

DSC_5375.jpg
</div></div>

Brother Wilshire, why did you have to post that picture! That is a beautiful setup. Instead of the bull gun, I may go with the varmint model. They are a bit cheaper and still have "The Look."

Is there anything that actually recommends a pre-70 Winchester model 70 over, say, a rifle built on an actual Mauser action (e.g., Mauser Oberndorf)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there anything that actually recommends a pre-70 Winchester model 70 over, say, a rifle built on an actual Mauser action (e.g., Mauser Oberndorf)? </div></div>

Nothing wrong with a Remington 700, post-64 Winchester, Savage, etc., but there is that certain something about that pre-64. It has a aura all its own... to me, anyway.