• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRE 64 Model 70 Target rifle

Daniel Hall

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2012
UP of Michigan
I purchased a 1956 M70 target in 30-06 caliber. Everything appears to be correct except bedding material being visible. Can anyone tell me if Winchester bedded PRE 64 M70 target rifles? Thank you, Dan

The '57 I shoot had some bedding around the front recoil lug and a very small amount at the rear action screw. It was in rough shape, so I removed it and rebedded.

My bedding chipped in the same spot as the original. Its just too thin and chipped.

Attachments

• 20200922_133509.jpg
    20200922_133509.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 20200922_133515.jpg
    20200922_133515.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 127
  • 20200922_204640.jpg
    20200922_204640.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 136
As others have noted, I don't think WRA did bedding on their M70s, but it common practice by gunsmiths back in the day re the M70s. Below is a Marksman stock that came with a 1953 M70, and I suspect the bedding was done by Evaluators Ltd (aka 'Van Orden Special Target' rifle).
I was told this was the original "Accu-glass" bedding material often used in the 1950s. Its sort of an off-white/tan material. My 2cts.

Attachments

• Vintage Marksman stock channel.JPG
    Vintage Marksman stock channel.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 88
That is the old Acraglass from the 50-70 era. I do not think Evaluators did bedding. They simply sold rifles.

I had two pre-64 targets and a National match, none of them were bedded.

I do not think Evaluators did bedding. They simply sold rifles.

The old literature is not very clear (See pic 1), and refers to rifles being made by Winchester to Evaluator's specifications and "final assembly by Evaulators Ltd", and one brief mention of "hand-bedded in linseed-oiled finished walnut Marksman stock"... I suppose "hand-bedded" could refer to fitting of the wood only at the lug, or it could refer to glass bedding the stock. Again, its not clear, but they made it sound like they did something to the bedding and did the final assembly.

I think they test-fired them too with the old Western 180 grain Super match load of the 1950s era and apparently set the zero on their rifles, given the literature refers to "tuned and tested" etc (see bottom of pic 1). One other neat thing was the detailed range card re the old match ammo (pics 3 &4).

Attachments

• Van Orden document1.jpg
    Van Orden document1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 56
  • Van Orden document2.jpg
    Van Orden document2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Van Orden document3.jpg
    Van Orden document3.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Van Orden document4.jpg
    Van Orden document4.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 44
  • Van Orden document5.jpg
    Van Orden document5.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
The old literature is not very clear (See pic 1), and refers to rifles being made by Winchester to Evaluator's specifications and "final assembly by Evaulators Ltd", and one brief mention of "hand-bedded in linseed-oiled finished walnut Marksman stock"... I suppose "hand-bedded" could refer to fitting of the wood only at the lug, or it could refer to glass bedding the stock. Again, its not clear, but they made it sound like they did something to the bedding and did the final assembly.

I think they test-fired them too with the old Western 180 grain Super match load of the 1950s era and apparently set the zero on their rifles, given the literature refers to "tuned and tested" etc (see bottom of pic 1). One other neat thing was the detailed range card re the old match ammo (pics 3 &4).
Is the OP's rifle a Van Orden?

No, I don't think so. He asked about WRA bedding them in the mid-1950s, and I think the consensus is they did not. I only mentioned Evaluator's Ltd (aka Van Orden M70s) as I am under the impression by their literature that they may have performed some sort of "hand-bedded" processes during the mid-1950s, hence the digression...hope that clarifies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toftwo
I have owned two Van Orden's and neither was glass bedded.
Also, marketing hype existed prior to the dawn of the computer age. I doubt anything was done with the rifles at Van Orden. They were a retail outfit.

One was a ‘57 I’ll have to ask what the SN of the other is to age it. My buddy has it, so it won’t take too long to get it. The National match is a target action in a marksman stock with a 24” lighter contour barrel, it looks like a sporter barrel. The purpose was too keep the weight down for the matches.

Also, what is the difference between the target and National Match?

No expert, but the National Match rifle had the thick Marksman stock, but the 'standard weight' sporter profile barrel, but with match sights. Attached is a 1950 NM M70.

The Target model had the thick Marksman stock, and a 'medium-heavy' barrel that pushed its weight just over 10 lbs. 2nd pics shows the heavier barrel.

I think the rules in Service Rifle back in the 1950s imposed a 10 lb max weight, hence the "NM" model that WRA marketed, as the rifle with the medium heavy barrel + heavy Marksman stock was over 10 lbs, so they went with the target stock that has a higher comb relative to the Sporter stock, and thus was good for prone shooting, but used a lighter 24" barrel. I think the NM M70s are a bit more rare than the Target models.

Attachments

• Model70_1950_NM_model.jpg
    Model70_1950_NM_model.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 93
  • M70_target_rifle.jpg
    M70_target_rifle.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I have two original unaltered Van Ordens. Both were previously posted on this forum. One was sold to the USMC and the second was sold to USART. Neither has glass bedding. Evaluators' did hand bed the stocks by removing wood. I have a spare stock that shows this "hand bedding". I will take pictures of this when I get back from Wyoming.

Cheers

I wanted to edit the above in that I have a spare Van Orden sniper stock that was a take off,

Last edited:
Reactions: j-huskey
How do you know a where a 65 year old rifle was bedded? At Winchester? At Van Orden? By the USMC? CMP? Later owner?

Reactions: Toftwo
No expert, but the National Match rifle had the thick Marksman stock, but the 'standard weight' sporter profile barrel, but with match sights. Attached is a 1950 NM M70.

The Target model had the thick Marksman stock, and a 'medium-heavy' barrel that pushed its weight just over 10 lbs. 2nd pics shows the heavier barrel.

I think the rules in Service Rifle back in the 1950s imposed a 10 lb max weight, hence the "NM" model that WRA marketed, as the rifle with the medium heavy barrel + heavy Marksman stock was over 10 lbs, so they went with the target stock that has a higher comb relative to the Sporter stock, and thus was good for prone shooting, but used a lighter 24" barrel. I think the NM M70s are a bit more rare than the Target models.
I notice that the NM is shown on a shooting stool. Do you shoot NRA High Power? I shot service rifle in the M14 era.

I have two original unaltered Van Ordens. Both were previously posted on this forum. One was sold to the USMC and the second was sold to USART. Neither has glass bedding. Evaluators' did hand bed the stocks by removing wood. I have a spare stock that shows this "hand bedding". I will take pictures of this when I get back from Wyoming.

Cheers

I wanted to edit the above in that I have a spare Van Orden sniper stock that was a take off,
I am looking forward to hearing from you.

I notice that the NM is shown on a shooting stool. Do you shoot NRA High Power? I shot service rifle in the M14 era.

For clarification, the 1950 era M70 NM in that picture is not my rifle, I simply posted it as a example on this thread to show the barrel profile, etc. My M70 is a repo sniper. I don't shoot NRA High Power (yet) given lack of practice time (young kids, etc). The main competitions I do these days are the CMP "JCG as-issued M1" matches (pic 1) and vintage sniper (pic 2). I also shoot a local "vintage precision rifle match" at Quantico Shooting Club a few times a year, as that is where guys can shoot replica sniper rifles in informal competition, including M1As w/ retro-scopes (pic 3). I gave up bullseye pistol years ago once kids came along, and spare practice time went away. Re the M14 High-Power era, here's my retro M1A build that was 2 years in the making: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/replica-usmc-match-m14-project-completed.7040277/

Attachments

• M1_off_hand_May_2013.JPG
    M1_off_hand_May_2013.JPG
    750.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Butner_2013_1903A1.jpg
    Butner_2013_1903A1.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 74
  • M21 replica_600yds_Quantico_092018.JPG
    M21 replica_600yds_Quantico_092018.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie112
I was sent this pic from Van Orden’s grandson. He said he has 3 rifles and I asked if any were in sporter stocks.

Attachments

• 7C6AFA74-C69B-45FB-A726-CE381F94AF75.jpeg
    7C6AFA74-C69B-45FB-A726-CE381F94AF75.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 63
  • E658892D-ADEA-4876-AEAE-762F0E1AECEB.jpeg
    E658892D-ADEA-4876-AEAE-762F0E1AECEB.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 61