• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pre-Fit or No Pre-Fit

jpjulian

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2017
I put a KRG Bravo stock and Triggertech trigger on a Remington 700 .223 that had that cheap plastic stock from the factory. It is a stainless action with a varmint weight barrel in 12 twist. The barrel is still shooting well enough but got to thinking about a new barrel to go with the new stock & trigger. How would a pre-fit work with the 700 action or should I go with the gunsmith route and the associated extra cost? This is not a competition gun just the casual paper puncher. I put a WOA barrel on my RPR last week which is another reason I got to thinking about the R700 upgrades. TIA

Remage prefit with barrel nut for sure. You get the length, contour, and twist you want. I would get 1 in 7 twist if sticking with 223 that way you can shoot heavier bullets. All you really need with a barrel nut install is an action wrench to hold the action stationary while torquing the barrel nut along with headspace gauges to set the headspace. It’s really easy, there are a lot of videos on YouTube. You don’t technically need a barrel vise. Check out Northland Shooting Supply, they likely have Criteron barrels in stock and they sell action wrenches for Remington actions. It’s easy, do it yourself.

Remage prefit with barrel nut for sure. You get the length, contour, and twist you want. I would get 1 in 7 twist if sticking with 223 that way you can shoot heavier bullets. All you really need with a barrel nut install is an action wrench to hold the action stationary while torquing the barrel nut along with headspace gauges to set the headspace. It’s really easy, there are a lot of videos on YouTube. You don’t technically need a barrel vise. Check out Northland Shooting Supply, they likely have Criteron barrels in stock and they sell action wrenches for Remington actions. It’s easy, do it yourself.

Exactly this. It's the easy button.

Reactions: jpjulian
Go to PVA {Patriot Valley Arms}, then go to "barrel sales." They are doing some Rock Creek Remage barrels for really good price. They have quite a few options on tenon threads, remage being one of them.

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions gents. Appreciate it.