• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Pre-order Vortex HD II/Nightforce BEAST or buy now?

sava

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2014
Hey guys I've been lurking and reading the forum for the past few weeks and have learned a tremendous amount of information. I don't have any formal training in long range shooting but have been taking my 22LR trainer out to 400 yds and learning how to read wind...which is extremely tough to say the least. I have no problem holding sub-moa groups with various rifles and good ammo and have been working on my fundamentals over the past few years, so that's why I chose to take the next step and buy a rifle/optic that I can dedicate towards learning how to shoot long range. I just purchased a Savage FCP-SR 308 and it should be ready to go in a week or so. I figured the detachable mag, 20 moa base, and enlarged bolt handle are upgrades I wanted, so why not go with a rifle that already had them factory installed.

76652.jpg

Choosing which rifle to buy was the easy part, but now comes time to pick an optic, and I am having a hard time deciding which route to go with. I have learned that with the gun industry it's better to "buy once and cry once" as opposed to purchasing cheaper alternatives and then upgrading as you gain experience/knowledge.

I have been reading about the Vortex Razor HD II 4.5x27x56mm with the EBR-1C reticle and it seems like a great scope for the money (FFP, Mil/Mil, Illuminated, great glass, great warranty, etc.). Pre-ordering the Vortex will put it in my hands around April-May.
Vortex Optics - Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 EBR-1C<br />(MRAD)

sub_rzr-g2_f_45-27x56_ebr-1c_mrad-t.jpg

I have also read about the Nightforce BEAST and how great that scope is rumored to be. The ETA on the BEAST is still unknown, and I believe it is significantly more expensive than the Vortex.

Now here is the question, should I pre-order and wait for the Gen II Vortex and/or BEAST or should I go with a current Razor (~$2000) or NF (~$2500) scope and start shooting ASAP?

Willing to accept all wisdom, criticisms, and knowledge you guys are willing to send my way....

my advice is to get the scope you will be happy with a year from now. I would not let a few months waiting time be a factor, so in the end it is simply your preference.

As stated by Scott@Vortex in another thread, it sounds like a June/July release date on the Gen II is more realistic.

Id order the vortex and wait. I have the5-20 and love it. I would like to have the extra magnification

I personally am waiting on the Razor 2 and think it will be great. Money versus features is a big factor for me. Wether I can afford something more expensive or not there comes a point where I just dont know if the extra cost is really worth it to me. BEAST was never on my Radar due to cost. I debated going Gen 1 Razor because they can be had under 1800 if you call around. I would just decide what you want out of a scope and get it ordered. Lots of good choices out there.

I have a BEAST on order but just ordered a Steiner 5-25 MSR to hold me over in the mean time. Tired of waiting on stuff, I don't care anymore how badass they might be. I am done with all this pre-order BS and hope you get something by next SHOT. Marketing dorks outrunning production has to stop!

I'd love to get the hd-2 someday. That being said, if it were me, I'd get something now and start shooting the new gun. Both the razor 5-20 and the nightforce NXS hold their value very well so you could shoot those for 6mo or so then resell for around the same purchase price. PLUS they are excellent scopes that are VERY capable... thats just me. good luck and shoot straight!

Yeah, I'm interested to see the reviews that this scope has. I have a RAZOR Gen I and like it a lot!! It's heavy, but I'm interested to see the comparison between Gen I and Gen II.

I'm going to wait a while and see the reviews on both of these scopes. Plus I'll need to find an excuse to get another rifle :).