• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pre war 70 22 hornet

alibi

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
MI, USA
Looking for a good offer price for one. Cloverleaf, small safety, peep sight, blank, gold bead front. Looks refinished and stock repair. What would be a fair offer?

It’s on consignment in a local shop, sitting on a rack. Not ideal to take pics.
13xxx serial number. I believe the metal is possibly refinished. Last digit is somewhat feint, as well as the proof? On the opposite side. Not drilled on rear bridge, nor side. Receiver has a nice matte finish, barrel is a glossy blue.

The repair on the wood stock on the right side of the cloverleaf, small piece grafted into it, pinned in place and finished to nearly match. The rest of the stock looks original.

I’d wager as it sits it looks to be in the 90% range, some basic handling marks. That is if the metal is original finish, but suspect it isn’t.

Looking to offer them 9-1100.

Reactions: Average guy
Your offer would be well-bought.

A really nice pre-war model 70 in .22 Hornet... I'd pry my wallet open, blow the moths out and hand over more! But It's hard to go 'down' on an offer. And that gun sounds like it has some issues. But doubt it has been refinished. You are describing a model 70 finish pretty well.

That is an amazing rifle if you can get it!

Post pix. One of my 'dream' Model 70 guns! I LOVE the .22 Hornet

Sirhr

Left side receiver has two filled holes, rear bridge is D T but not in typical location. I would say receiver is refinished. Would be a good shooter grade gun.

A late 40’s Super Grade .22 🐝 Hornet
744E3619-DEAB-4DF3-B56D-CCACC502DB30.jpeg

If I’m not mistaken a 13,xxx Win. 70 should have a bright polished receiver. They went to bead blasted around 20,500.

Four extra holes drilled and tapped in the receiver bring any 'collections ' value down. At this point it's a shooter.

Good Luck

Photos will help immensely.

Not being critical at all. If a knowledgeable member ask this question some folks here could give a WAG. Might not miss it far.

By your own admission you know little or nothing about it. Why do you want it? What would you do with it? Are you buying it for resale? Shooter? Parts?

All of these things figure into what a knowledgeable buyer would offer. To a less than knowledgeable buyer rifles like this become a money pit. It’s not an investment or it’s a bad investment. It likely won’t shoot well. Ammo is expensive and hard to find. The parts are almost without value if refinished.

These folks can help but do not have a crystal ball. Help us help you.

Good info here^

For me it would be a shooter, and a unique rifle.

Down the line it would make for good trade fodder.

These don’t pop up for sale too often, and neither do Kurz Mausers.

I’ll revisit this week and see if it’s still there.

Just as a curiosity what part appeals to you? Lack of accuracy? Expensive Ammo? Poor investment? Just curious.

Reactions: 458win
Did you ever go back OP? I knows it’s only Tuesday, but inquiring minds want to know

Reactions: RTH1800
What are they asking for it? Value for one is subjective to how bad you want it.
Pre64 values have gone down a lot the past 5-8 years. If it’s in decent shape and you get it for less than $1500 you’re doing pretty good.

You do have to ask yourself why you want it? There is the cool factor of Hornet on full size action. Not that you should have to justify a rifle purchase.
I can tell you how many rounds I’ve put through my 2 pre64 hornets. And $50 at todays ammo prices would cover it.

Reactions: RTH1800
The .22 Hornet versions are very nice and … if you intend to shoot from one place, as opposed to wandering around several acres, they are much lighter (and better balanced) than a heavy barrelled varmint rifle.

.22 hornet is an underrated cartridge. Light, small report. Ideal for varmints at close ranges. Will easily take a deer within 100 yards. Very accurate esp with handloads and the right bullets.

And the pre-war Model 70, while heavy, bulky and a long action for a short cartridge is iconic. I’d own one in a second.

Though for a more practical platform, the Walther KKJ is a perfect size and weight combination for the Hornet. Also a great cartridge in a Contender.

I look forward to hearing the OP report!

Sirhr

Reactions: roostercogburn98
.22 hornet is an underrated cartridge. Light, small report. Ideal for varmints at close ranges. Will easily take a deer within 100 yards. Very accurate esp with handloads and the right bullets.

And the pre-war Model 70, while heavy, bulky and a long action for a short cartridge is iconic. I’d own one in a second.

Though for a more practical platform, the Walther KKJ is a perfect size and weight combination for the Hornet. Also a great cartridge in a Contender.

I look forward to hearing the OP report!

Sirhr
I am eyeballing a model 54 in 22 hornet right now. I really would like to add it to my collection
87F3119C-328F-4266-8444-838353D4FE7E.jpeg

I do enjoy my M70 Hornet. The ammo prices have become stupid expensive. Having owned a dozen or more hornets over the years I have a good supply of ammo. Some of the hornets have been accurate. Some only fair.
What @sirhrmechanic says about them is all true. In areas where it's legal the 22 Hornet is a wonderful turkey rifle.
A completely re finished 70 is not likely to be a good investment unless about given to you.

Genuine .22 Hornet rifling OR have you gone for the larger .220 Swift type of rifling, to increase your bullet options? Either way, very nice kit for varmint shooting.

Please do tell me more about it how and why you built it?
Basically I often make poor life choices.

I bought the rifle with the mismatched bolt and a buggered barrel cheap enough that I could afford to put some money into it. I've done a lot of Richards Microfit stocks, so that's where I ordered from and finished it myself. It didn't have any collector value from the begining and was unshootable in the condition it came. "IF" I had to do it again, I wouldn't have bothered with the K chamber and just stuck with a Hornet.