• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pre War M70 standard as Vietnam sniper rifle

xm25sniper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2013
Hello, can anyone tell me if they ever used standard M70's not varmint as sniper rifles. Thanks Joe

From the discussions I've read here, yes. Both modified (new barrel and trued action) and stock. Also, as discussed in a previous thread, Post '63 actions as well.

I believe the Model 70s used as sniper rifles were basically target rifles with heavy barrels and heavy straight stocks.

Hello, can anyone tell me if they ever used standard M70's not varmint as sniper rifles. Thanks Joe

Perhaps you should clarify your question.
What do you mean by "they" ? Anybody? US military? Officially? Personal weapons?
By standard do you mean ordinary sporter weight M70?
Makes a difference.

Going into yet another war (in Vietnam), our military found itself w/o a sniper program. Sporting arms were taken out of the PX support services and fielded until the Pentagon could catch up to speed. These were standard hunting rifles provided service personnel for sport.

So, yes.

1939 M70 with Lyman 5A 20140907_181211.jpg20140907_181157.jpg

cattle buyer......you sound plumb normal to me.

I think I have posted this before, good read. Winchester Model 70 Sniper: A Brief History | LooseRounds.com
very best
Nothing against this guy ( not cattle buyer, the article author ) but this is a good example of why the misinformation never stops flowing. No research credits and no documentation.
Errors are evident even to me and to those of you who truly live this topic it is probably jaw dropping.
The guy tried I'll give him credit for that!

MJ,
Have never seen that pic before. Is it from a private collection? Definitely a sporter rifle with a M84 scope on it. Can't tell if the rifle is a Remington or Winchester.
Cool.

He is deffinitely not hunting "wabbits"

Man that pack config looks like a pain in the ass to haul. Guy did it all his own radioman, sniper badassery.

According to a quick google search, that would be Sp4 Harry M Mallett of Company A, 1st Battalion, 327th Infantry. (Did I write that out correctly?) Anyway, evidently he was a radio man that elected to carry a sniper rifle. Most places I have found list it as a Model 70 but they could have all used a incorrect source so take it for what it's worth.

So the pic from post #12 , since it is not likely an "Issued" rifle, it really does not address the original question.

It interestingly does have an M84 scope, the top cover is either missing or opened. The rear sight on the barrel indicates its not likely a pre 64 M70.