• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Prebuild planning

hot loads B==D - - -
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
Houston, TX
I discussed my build with my smith already but I didn't get into the nitty gritty. Is there anything I should have him do to the rifle to save on headaches later on as far as expansion goes?

Right now I plan on shooting off the shelf match ammo. I'll probably venture into handloading later on. As I read, you have to modify the feed ramp in order to feed longer OAL loads.. That kind of stuff. I'm also getting the barrel threaded for a suppressor.

Anything else I should mention to him?

Edit to add:
The build is based off of a Surgeon 591 in 308 win.

Re: Prebuild planning

Not sure about why you would have to modify the feed ramp to run a longer round? You would most likely have to change the magazine setup, if you're running an internal mag setup. If you're running a bottom drop mag setup then you can only go as long as the mag will allow. I've never had any problems with rounds feeding from longer OAL, with no feed ramp mods. It might help to post your full plans on the build to get more prospective from those that have used the same or similar setups. By that I mean, action, barrel, mag setup, stock etc. I would also probably include the intended purpose of the rifle, I.E. target, tactical, hunting, etc. Just my thoughts and I'm not a gunsmith so take it for what it is.

Just going off some things I read along the way. I know Alpha makes mags to seat longer rounds. Wasn't entirely sure about the feedramp itself.

I'm having my smith build an "all around" utility rifle with accuracy as the top requirement.
Parts are the following:
Surgeon 591
Bartlein 5R 11.25" twist M24 contour (will be cut down to 22")
Huber Concepts 2-stage trigger (2#)
KRG Whiskey 3 stock
Optic ??? (not sure which one I want yet)

This will be my "it" bolt gun for now to carry me through classes, range work, hunts, etc. I'm heavily vested in the AR system so I'm trying to make this bolt gun the best it can be without having to sell a kidney.

Hopefully this is an experienced smith who has built a number of guns of the type you hav in mind. If he is ask him to build you what in his experience has worked. Don't be the first. Shop for another smith if he is a new kid on the block