• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision 5.56 AR worth it when you already have a .308 semi?

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
I've been debating buying an LPR since they came out. I found an upper in stock, which works great for me since I already have a SR-15 IWS SBR Carbine, and like the idea of saving $750 and using one lower with 2 uppers.

That said, I'm debating the "need." I already have a SR-25 ECC, so this would be a second precision semi auto, and in all likelyhood, worse at distance due to less energy and lower ballistic coefficient.

My argument FOR having it is that everything I've read and seen points to a 5.56 being much easier to shoot accurately, and a lot of my shooting is (unfortunately) at 100-200 yards. I already have a Surefire 5.56 suppressor, and it will eventually be somewhat cheaper to shoot. I say "eventually" because I would need to buy dies, and I always buy Redding Competition dies, so the savings would take a long time to add up.

Basically looking for feedback from people who have both. The ECC isn't going anywhere, just wondering if the 5.56 is worth adding, or if it's really more of a "why bother" situation.

Man I bought LPR today and have multiple AR-10's, totally different uses for me, LPR will go to 400 or 500 yards while I take the JP LRP and LMT closer to 1000. Also you'll enjoy the lighter weight! Plus everyone should have an AR 15, just more maneuverable, easier to handle and cheaper to shoot, good luck

I'm going the other direction, but in the same boat as you.

I have a Mk12Mod1 in 5.56 and am currently shopping for a SR 25. Took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do, but most of my shooting is at medium/longer ranges and the 308 in a semi made sense. This also then causes other issues with me as far as bolt gun calibers, but oh well.

If this is mainly from a cost effectiveness standpoint, by the time you recoup costs for the rifle and reloading components, you'd probably need a new barrel. If you want a 5.56 then get one, but if you think you want it because it'll be a little cheaper per round over the 308, I wouldn't bother. If I had to choose between a 308 and 5.56 for SPR/DMR work, the 308 wins. There are benefits to the lighter 5.56 rifle but if I had to choose one its the 308.

Its not a bad idea I have built 2 uppers for an AR, one in 16" with a low power scope and then a nicer 20" if we are going to coyote hunt or something of that nature. My girlfriend also has a lot more fun shooting the .223 vs the .308 maten I have built. With the ease of being able to pull an upper off and throw on a new one its hard not to want to have the best of all worlds with out having to have multiple lowers.

This isn't about saving money, it's about "want." Just trying to talk myself into it.

Do it. For 200 yards a 556/223 will do great. It's what I have for an ar and it is cheaper to shoot and less recoil so that is a bonus.

Really the big thing, to be honest, is that everything points to a 5.56 being a much more forgiving rifle to shoot than a .308. I can shoot a bolt gun very well very consistently, but all the moons have to align for me to shoot a semi auto .308 sub MOA. It looks like 5.56 guns are almost as easy to shoot well as a gas gun, and the lack of recoil is a big bonus.

Do it. For 200 yards a 556/223 will do great. It's what I have for an ar and it is cheaper to shoot and less recoil so that is a bonus.

I can bang steel out to 600 with my 18" 223 using ball ammo. 77SMKs and Varget go a bit farther. People don't give those little 556 bullets enough credit where range or accuracy are concerned.

....and the downside to having another rifle is what ?

I'm opposite of you. Currently have 4 KAC 5.56 guns, including a LPR. Also just agreed to pick up a Mk12 Mod1 upper here off the forum. I'm pretty invested in 5.56, and don't shoot out past 600 much. I don't really NEED a .308, but I've got $$ sitting in the bank, just waiting for a SR25 ECC to pop up somewhere. Won't be anymore useful than my 5.56 guns, but I WANT one.

I say go for it.

I can bang steel out to 600 with my 18" 223 using ball ammo. 77SMKs and Varget go a bit farther. People don't give those little 556 bullets enough credit where range or accuracy are concerned.

O I never said it wouldn't still reach out far. I just enjoy my 223 for under 300 and the 308 for more than that. Though the 223 has gone out just as far as the 308

I'm opposite of you. Currently have 4 KAC 5.56 guns, including a LPR. Also just agreed to pick up a Mk12 Mod1 upper here off the forum. I'm pretty invested in 5.56, and don't shoot out past 600 much. I don't really NEED a .308, but I've got $$ sitting in the bank, just waiting for a SR25 ECC to pop up somewhere. Won't be anymore useful than my 5.56 guns, but I WANT one.

I say go for it.

How does the LPR shoot?

After I bought a precision semi in 308, I stopped shooting my precision semi in 223. Not sure what it is.. I think I just prefer the louder wack on steel of the larger round.

This isn't about saving money, it's about "want." Just trying to talk myself into it.

There you go. Anytime I've been on the fence with 'wanting' something or not, I just get it.

Same thing with me wanting an SR 25. Do I need it? Hell no, I have a SPR 5.56 and a M24 in 308. But, it just means I'll get the 308 and move my bolt guns back into magnum territory.

Did you buy it yet??

How many rifles do I have? More than I need but not as many as I want.

I have a JP PSC11 with a 20" barrel. Easy to tag MOA size steel out to 700 yds with 77gr SMK's. Best shooting rifle I own.
GO FOR IT:)

I've got 3 .308 Rifles and a MK12 Mod 1 yet I still wants to build another SPR .223. LOL. There's no reason other than I just like More Options. Every one of my rifles is setup differently and serves a different purpose. At least that's how I justify getting new rifles everytime!

as for me, not you, it is all about saving money for a sport I enjoy.. 8 out of 10 times I hit the range it is usually at 300yards or less... i find myself shooting at the 600yard range less and less. don't get me wrong, i love shooting at the 600yard range, but i like being able to look into my spotting scope for instant group results. I simply can't do that at the 600yard range = drive down to my target with my car to see results. 300yards for me is great IMO for AR shooting.... it gives that hint of wind, mirage, see results with spotting scope, and so on... when it comes to shooting a cheap and accurate AR round, it is hard to beat the 5.56 round in terms of reloading and accuracy especially at 300yards or less. I find myself having just as much fun at the 300yard range with my 5.56 in comparison to my 7.62 for 1/2 the ammo price with slightly better accuracy results.

totally worth it!

I've been debating buying an LPR since they came out. I found an upper in stock, which works great for me since I already have a SR-15 IWS SBR Carbine, and like the idea of saving $750 and using one lower with 2 uppers.

That said, I'm debating the "need." I already have a SR-25 ECC, so this would be a second precision semi auto, and in all likelyhood, worse at distance due to less energy and lower ballistic coefficient.

My argument FOR having it is that everything I've read and seen points to a 5.56 being much easier to shoot accurately, and a lot of my shooting is (unfortunately) at 100-200 yards. I already have a Surefire 5.56 suppressor, and it will eventually be somewhat cheaper to shoot. I say "eventually" because I would need to buy dies, and I always buy Redding Competition dies, so the savings would take a long time to add up.

Basically looking for feedback from people who have both. The ECC isn't going anywhere, just wondering if the 5.56 is worth adding, or if it's really more of a "why bother" situation.

Get the 223. I love to shoot my big magnums at long ranges and my 308's get loads of attention, but the single most educational firearm I have ever owned was a sps varmint in 223. I can sit out at a big pdog town and shoot hundreds of rounds in a day.

Different flavors but I have to be transparent and say that I really don't shoot my AR10 much. When it comes to .30 cal. I always enjoy shooting my bolt guns quite a bit more. I do however, find myself shooting my bull barreled AR15 alot as it's quite a bit cheaper and inside 500 meters it's more of a challenge. Rather than a "why bother" situation I would say "why not?"

223 is cheaper and great under 500 i have a les baer in 223 and 308. The 223 is awsome to punch 10 shot groups that you can cover
With a penny

Precision AR for me.

Worn out AR for friends and family.

Ive used the excuse to replace mine more than once. Currently I am "The old ones for when the boys get older, the new one is for competition."

Just a simple breakdown. To go out and shoot 250 rounds of my hand loaded 69 gr costs me right at 117$ 28 for 1lb of powder, 9.75 for 250 primers, 25$ for 250 pieces of brass and 55$ for 250 nosler custom competition 69 gr bullets. For me to reload 250 175 smk 308's its right at 200$.

$2200 (for the whole rifle) buys a lot of .308 ammo or even more bullets/powder/primers for reloading. If it's just something you want, go for it. That's all the reason I've ever needed for buying a new gun. Obviously though you don't need it, it won't do anything your carbine or sr25 won't do but you already know that.

I had thought about building a .223 bolt gun to complement my .308 but ultimately decided against it. I figured it would cost at least $3000 to build the gun and put a decent scope on it and for that price I could reload 5000+ rounds of .308. Even then, quality .223 reloads would only be $.15 - $.20 cheaper than .308 so I would have to spend many thousands of dollars on "cheaper" .223 before I got enough rounds downrange to start saving money by practicing with 223 over 308. Just didn't seem worth it to me.

Of course if I just really wanted a .223 bolt gun, I'd get one but obviously I don't want one that bad. So if you just want it, get it. If you want to shoot cheaper, I'd say skip it unless you are shooting enough to replace your 308 barrel every year.

My justification for a "precision" AR was it can easily double as a 3gun, nra national defense, or nra high power tactical class rifle.

I've had a few precision style AR15's and I really enjoyed them. I think they're easier to shoot accurately or dare I say more accurate than a ar10 style. I've shot both from cheaper rifles up to Larue OBR's and I'll tell you right now my AR15 with a Olympic arms ultramatch upper blew them all away. I sold the oly because I just couldn't wrap my head around owning an Olympic Arms... Lol. It however has been my most accurate AR to date. I still think there's a use for the AR10 styles, but I think you should definitely buy a precision AR15. Besides, you need it for prairidogs and the such.

Well, ultimately I was going to hate myself if I delayed too long and then missed out (the place I was looking had 3 uppers yesterday and one today,) so I ordered it.

I'll keep everyone in the loop as to how it shoots.

-Bob

I think you need several in each caliber.

This is 100% correct. You owe it to yourself and to Eugene Stoner to own and shoot as many AR style rifles as you can afford. It's also very sound financially, I call it my investment in precious American metals.

Ive shot an insane amount of rounds out of both 5.56 and 7.62 ar's and at 300ish yards and less the 5.56 in an AR will be be more accurate IMO

I've had a few precision style AR15's and I really enjoyed them. I think they're easier to shoot accurately or dare I say more accurate than a ar10 style. I've shot both from cheaper rifles up to Larue OBR's and I'll tell you right now my AR15 with a Olympic arms ultramatch upper blew them all away. I sold the oly because I just couldn't wrap my head around owning an Olympic Arms... Lol. It however has been my most accurate AR to date. I still think there's a use for the AR10 styles, but I think you should definitely buy a precision AR15. Besides, you need it for prairidogs and the such.

Kevin B asked this same question. My LPR is a little hammer. My EMC is a much larger hammer. There is not much the .223 will do that the .308 doesn't do in spades.

But:

Weighs less.

Cheaper to shoot.

I'm planning to use my LPR for general gun this year. BH 77s will be more than enough for our huge FL deer, and it doesn't matter how large the pig is, shoot him in the ear.

And, you need another rifle!

Last edited:
If you are going to get a 5.56 get yourself a good lower with a good trigger like ( SSA-E ) the one I installed in my Colt LE 6920 M4 and bought a White Oak Armament 18" varmint upper with a 1 in 7" twist. Then I had WOA full length fluted it. It shoots under 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yds.

Attachments

• new upper .JPG
    new upper .JPG
    394.5 KB · Views: 28
  • WOA BARREL END .JPG
    WOA BARREL END .JPG
    557.2 KB · Views: 19
If you are going to get a 5.56 get yourself a good lower with a good trigger like ( SSA-E ) the one I installed in my Colt LE 6920 M4 and bought a White Oak Armament 18" varmint upper with a 1 in 7" twist. Then I had WOA full length fluted it. It shoots under 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yds.

Is that a two piece scope mount? Never seen that type!

Is that a two piece scope mount? Never seen that type!

Yes it is a 2 piece from Nikon. They call it a P-SERIES. I had to turn the back around because the bottom would not fit under the eye piece. It measures 1.375" from the top of the rail to the middle of the 1" scope tube. For me to get a good cheek weld I like 1.5" height. It is a really good mount, but just not quite high enough for me.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/nikon-p-series-mounting-system.aspx?a=993875

Vortex sells one that measures about 1.59" that I may replace it with.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-cantilever-ring-mount-for-1-inch-tube.html

Attachments

• new upper 1 .JPG
    new upper 1 .JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Looking forward to a range report.. As i read through all the comments i thought just get it BM11 =). I have a 16 inch Ar , 14.5 , 11.5 and wanting to build a A4 clone in 20 inch ... Why because we only live once.

I guess I never updated this thread! Here is the final product:

It shoots great, I'll see if I can bang out a range report.

A buddy of mine had the MK12 Mod 0...I loved it so much that I essentially copied that design for my SASS. -- Worked out amazingly well and my SASS is a beast.

That being said, I felt the need for a precision-patrol setup...Truth be told, for the shorter distances, 223/556 is just a more practical round IMO so, I just started a "MK12" sort-ish build, myself.

The versatility of the AR15 is a big deal too -- Can't do too much with the AR10's in regards to round swapping...But, the AR15 on the other hand, has a myriad of other options...