• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision AR Barrel

mdmp5

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2009
    I am rebuilding a "precision" AR of mine that ended up being not so precise. Accuracy was never stellar, but seemed to recently take a dump. I haven't bore scoped the throat, but the last time I saw something like this, I had major fire cracking. Anyway, I decided to scrap my barrel and start over. There are so many manufacturers of barrels out there, it's giving me vertigo. Can you guys give me some of your experiences with some of these makers? I've been looking at WOA, Odin, Seekins, and a few others. I am staying away from Krieger because of the inflated prices and lead times.

Ideally, I want 18-20" to shoot 69-77 SMKs

Hard to go wrong with WOA. I did the same as you. Rebuilt my spr because accuracy was never that great on my first one. The WOA brought me to around .75 moa consistently which I was pretty happy with for my AR. I’m shooting the 77 TMKs.

Forgot to mention Noveske too. Also, do I stay with a .750 gas block or go with a heavier contour?

This is inexpensive, and not seriously among the top accuracy barrels, but (strictly anecdotal) my Buddy wanted to approximate the performance of my Stag Model 6 Super Varminter and ordered one of these. Once built, I set him up with my 600yd 75 gr HDY HPBT-M loads. He is very pleased with his purchase.

At worst, it can serve as the core of an inexpensive P-Dog/Practice Upper; but I think that, based on my Buddy's experience, it should do a good bit better.

BTW, the long awaited (by me, anyway) Hornady/Frontier 75gr Match load has finally made it into stock at Midway. I have 120rd in transit to try out in my 24" rifles (3 of them).

Greg

Last edited:
    No experience to share yet, I'm also building a precision focused upper but with a 16" barrel and like you, suffered from analysis paralysis re:barrels. I started looking at the lower end of things - BA, Faxon etc. Then thought about LaRue or LW. Then WOA/CLE. Then cut rifled barrels. Waffled over everything for a few weeks. I ended up getting a WOA 16" SDM barrel that was in stock, I will be receiving it next week. They added a second dimple for the WOA gas block and shipped it out the next day. Centurion has some in stock which I believe are Douglas blanks. CLE quoted me 2-4 weeks for a Douglas barrel with flutes.

Planning to shoot 73 gr ELD-M and if that doesn't work I will suck it up and pay the premium for the heavy TMKs.

Haven't tried an Ultramatch in 223 Wylde, but the Ultramatch I have in 6.5 Creedmoor from Rainer has been great. Their varminter model looks pretty nice. I've also seen good reviews on the barrels from Ballistic Advantage. Rainer has a guarantee I believe. They are a good outfit to deal with.

If it aint gonna be an all-out full custom cut rifled build, I'd look at WOA first as well as Criterion.

Are you gonna be needing to move/carry the rifle alot? 3 gun/run-n-gun shooting? Or is weight not much a factor?

For a light 3 gun build, I also wouldnt look past JP or Seekins; they both have stellar reputations in the 3g arena.

This is gonna be a prone and bench gun. I'm not gonna be running with this one at all.

I might be leaning toward the Bartlein, but I am also considering a Bartelin in 224 Valkyrie with ⅝" threads. Man I am a typical sucker

I just installed a Krieger DCM 20 1/7.7 223 SS Post Ban (No muzzle threads) which was in stock at Brownells at a good "Sale" price.

I might be leaning toward the Bartlein, but I am also considering a Bartelin in 224 Valkyrie with ⅝" threads. Man I am a typical sucker
    Either way go with Craddock as you will not be disapointed. Best you can do IMO...

Do you guys cerakote your barrel or just leave it stainless?

I’d do it myself but I don’t have a blaster or an oven. Actually, you could probably get away without blasting it if you roughed the surface with some 300 grit and wiped it down with acetone

I just leave them black with stainless barrels. A good finish would be nice, but I haven't got the nerve up yet to do it or get it done. My Grendel has the stainless coated in black, but not cerakote. It's not bad, but neither is bead blasted stainless.

If I ever went to do the whole rifle, I'd have to use a wrap on the optics or something, I really don't have the balls to put anything on them. Stupid I know... but they took time and money to get and I'm paranoid. Hahahaha...

Krieger’s are slow and accurate.
    The MK12 Douglass barrels are fast and accurate.

I have a Rainier Arms Ultramatch SDM Mod 2 .223 Wylde on my AR. Ive used Blackhole Weaponry which was a great barrel, a few Rainier Arms match barrels and a WOA, all 16" barrels.

So far my favorite is the RA Ultramatch SDM, however I just use factory match ammo. Using the same lot of ammo between the RA Match and the Ultramatch I gained an average of 80fps.

And I've left all my barrels stainless. If I have a choice between bead blasted SS and polished SS Ill go with the bead blasted, but I'm not going to pay extra for a coating thats going to sit under a forend.

I've had good luck with Bartleins from Compass Lake as well as barrels straight from Krieger.

I have a Bartlein on order with Craddock in 224 Valkyrie, looking forward to seeing how it does.

Might be sacrilege but I just rough it up and krylon that shit.

16" WOA SDM
    FullSizeRender-16.jpg

Any problems with the crylon flaking off?
    My handgaurd is a pain to remove.
    Set screws , jam nut, close out ring and suppressor adapter all have to come off.
    Thats why I. Paid for the cerokote hoping to do one time.

Ive only had this out once to break in and get some initial data. I have a different AR that has seen much harder use and is holding up fine even on parts that get hot like the FSB. The gas tube will blister and flake but Im not too concerned with that. This gun won't see that aggressive a firing schedule so I don't anticipate an issue. As with anything, prep is key. Bead blast and park take paint better than bare stainless.

I know some military guys that rattle can some expensive rifles, and change colors depending on the location.
    Krylon works well over a finish that if it comes off you still have black or fde.
    Some people that have been downrange and seen stainless at long distances will probably cover that shit without hesitation.
    Your compition rig might be the only rig you have at any point hands on.

And Greg's sugestion, I stressed over that and a couple of other high heat brands.
    None of them listed stainless on being suitable, omission maybe?
    My disassembly hassle drove my decision.

It's tough to take a beautiful rig and make it look like junk. Especially if you paid for it.
    Look at some of the cool cammo jobs on the picture threads and go for it

Normally only takes a couple of beers to get over it! Lol

Last edited:
    Reactions: deersniper
    I stopped rattle canning rifles back in the 1990's. The finishes were not very durable; and honestly, why would I need camo? A hunting rifle, OK. But any expectations that I would find myself in a bonafide combat situation is purely a failure of imagination. I'm 71, wheezy, and a lazy bugger besides.

Greg

I get that as well Greg.
    I don't run and gun, am waiting on my second cataract surgery at the moment.
    Had to start bracketing targets with the thick part of a duplex reticle to hit center.

I just got tired of game spotting me, and the young guys fresh from the shit laughing at my vanity rifle bling.
    Likely as well shit hits the fan here camouflage wont be an real issue.

Hope I remember to put pants on before I run outside with an sbr and a beta mag.
    Nobody likes getting shot by a naked old guy

Reactions: ViP
    Mine is a Krieger and was worth the wait. Perhaps if they have a backlog and wait time there is a reason?

Only digging this up to close it out with a conclusion. I got a 7 twist criterion from craddock, and from what I can tell, it is a very good barrel. Tightest I've shot with to date.

Rock River built me a very accurate 22 inch varmint barrel, give 'em a call.