• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision gas gun build help

StampCreek

Minuteman
May 7, 2014
North Texas
Hello friends

I would really like an AR style 308 and since I've built up my last several in 5.56 I figure that would be a good way to for a 308 build. Seems it's a different beast than 5.56. Finding good parts and a reputable source, I've got the 5.56 sites all bookmarked I use regularly. Don't have that kind of info for 308.

Rather than wait a year or two for a LaRue, and for way less money, I'd like to build a precision gas gun. Like 1 MOA or better. I have a scope on my Rem 700 I could swap over. Would like a 20" barrel.

If y'all can point me to some brands and vendors I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Yo StampCreek, I like your avatar and your east TN address.

Anyway, take a look at Hawk Hill Customs: Hawk Hill Custom - Hawk Hill Custom

Shawn, owner and head dude at Hawk Hill, is a friend of mine, but I have no financial interest in the company. They are doing quality work and offer full gas gun builds as well as great AR barrels - in all calibers. Shawn is out at nearly all the tactical matches on east coast and they are supporting match prize tables heavily, plus they are great folks to deal with.

Best of luck w/ your build!

Great guys, thanks.

Yeah, that avatar. Pulled it off google images, it's a 175gr SMK. Can't belive I'm the only one, ha!

Hello friends

I would really like an AR style 308 and since I've built up my last several in 5.56 I figure that would be a good way to for a 308 build. Seems it's a different beast than 5.56. Finding good parts and a reputable source, I've got the 5.56 sites all bookmarked I use regularly. Don't have that kind of info for 308.

Rather than wait a year or two for a LaRue, and for way less money, I'd like to build a precision gas gun. Like 1 MOA or better. I have a scope on my Rem 700 I could swap over. Would like a 20" barrel.

If y'all can point me to some brands and vendors I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I would highly recommend a Lilja barrel and a Syrac adjustable gas block. The hardest thing for me to find was the bolt and carrier. I ended up with a DPMS, which is less than stellar, but adequate so far.

Got a Lilja barrel on my Rem 700. Didn't think of them for an AR platform. Thanks.

Yeah - why don't you like that BCG? What else would you get?

Got a Lilja barrel on my Rem 700. Didn't think of them for an AR platform. Thanks.

Yeah - why don't you like that BCG? What else would you get?

The DPMS works fine so far, but I've always found their parts, parts kits, and rifles to be of slightly lower quality than their competitors. Young Mfg. has made a few 308 carriers, and they would be my first choice, but I could never find one. I have two JP full mass carriers and enhanced bolts in my 556 guns and really like them. I've never liked the idea of low mass bcg's, because I believe that a little more reciprocating mass increases reliability. It might all be in my head, but I swear that even JP says that for rifles that demand the utmost reliability, one should use their full mass carrier.

You're not going to build anything as good, as cheaply, as accurately, as gotta-have-da-da-damn PMAGS or DEATH!!!

Armalite AR-10A A4 Target Semi Auto Rifle .308 Winchester 20" Barrel 10 Rounds PMAG Free Float Handguard Fixed Stock Black A10TBNF

2-ARMLA10TBNF.jpg

Now, go do the right thing.

Last edited:
I had an AR10T and while I thought it was a good concept, in reality I wasn't impressed. They used a good barrel, a good target trigger and at the time I think their BCG was pretty good. But it was way overgassed and pretty heavy. And nobody was making a decent adjustable gas block for a. 875 barrel. I thought I could do better if I built my own. I put a Lilia barrel on a MATEN receiver set, giessele trigger, adjustable gas block, and JP lo mass op system. I spent a lot of time and ammo trying to get it to be accurate and reliable. The main problem was the lo mass BCG. It was way to sensitive to gas pressure. Add in a suppressor and I had a rifle that had to be tuned up every time I shot it. In hindsight I should have got an armalite BCG. That would have made a big difference. Today, I've still got the JP lo mass BCG but it now wears an SLR rifleworks adj gas block which is much better than the JP. Still not reliable enough to be much more than a range gun but, it's ok for what it is. Posted for your information. Good luck.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Been down this road and wish I would have bought a JP or GAP 10 from the get go. I will likely sell both I have for a SCAR 17s or another bolt gun anyhow, and at a significant loss at that.

You cannot build as cheaply as you can buy while holding to the same quality level. These are not AR15s - the -10/308s are a completely different animal, and a very expensive one at that. Sales on parts are virtually unseen, so plan on paying near MSRP for everything.

I recommend you buy premium from a reputable builder or buy stock (free-floated) and simply replace the barrel and trigger, selling the take-offs unused to make up for those costs. Ground up accurate builds are not for those that are budget minded.

Been down this road and wish I would have bought a JP or GAP 10 from the get go. I will likely sell both I have for a SCAR 17s or another bolt gun anyhow, and at a significant loss at that.

You cannot build as cheaply as you can buy while holding to the same quality level. These are not AR15s - the -10/308s are a completely different animal, and a very expensive one at that. Sales on parts are virtually unseen, so plan on paying near MSRP for everything.

I recommend you buy premium from a reputable builder or buy stock (free-floated) and simply replace the barrel and trigger, selling the take-offs unused to make up for those costs. Ground up accurate builds are not for those that are budget minded.

The more research I do the more this seems to be the case. Disappointed it's not as easy to do as the AR-15 but learning is occuring.

Get a DPMS GII with the 24" Bull barrel

Stamp Creek,

If the purpose of this rifle is to complement your bolt gun as a precision rig, i would assume that to mean that you'll also want to shoot it competently at distance.

I would also assume that your "carry", "mobile" rifles will be the 556 guns you already own, and not this one.

If so, save yourself, time, money, energy and frustration and go to a turn key solution...DPMS G2 BULL 24'

Here again are the reasons why this is what you want:

1. Cheaper than building your own. The price listed is MSPR, i believe they are on sale in the $1,100 - $1,200 range
2. It is an improvement over the current generation of large frame ARs on the market.
3. It will come with a warranty compared to piecing something together.
4. No wait times...this is already in stock at many dealers.
5. It has a 24" bull barrel. This is what you NEED in a precision 308. Forget short barrels. They rob you of velocity, allowing your bullet to get blown around significantly. Figure 15-25ft/s per inch loss in velocity. There is a reason why people that shoot distance at the national levels run 30-32" barrels in a 308. 24" is as short as you want to go. You will want more barrel length as your competence increases and you bleed points to the competition due to wind drift.
6. The DPMS rifles seem to have chambers cut deep enough to run heavier bullets...they also have a reputation for being accurate. There is always the occasional person who gets an abortion of a rifle, but really, that's also true with every manufacturer.

Following is my advise for shooting longer ranges:

You've chosen a 308. its a marginal cartridge for long distance shooting due to limited case capacity.

To make the 308 work, you need:

1. long barrel...longer is better. as i said, palma shooters, F-class shooters, etc use 28-32" barrels on their rigs. This will get you the absolute highest velocity available from a powder charge without having to push pressure limits as you will if you elect to run a shorter barrel.
2. High BC bullets. I know your avatar is of a 175SMK. That bullet while accurate, and a good choice for midrange (300-600yards) is outdated and is not adequate or desirable for long range work. Your focus should be on bullets such as Hornady 178gr HPBT (not AMAX), Hornady 208AMAX, Berger Hybrid/VLD bullets in the 185, 190 or 210 weight classes.
3. Powders that will drive said bullets at a high enough velocity to exploit the BC (Varget, IMR-4320, RL-15, RL-17, 2000MR etc). The last two will give you the highest velocities however, they are temperature sensitive.
4. Wind reading skills. This is the most important and hardest skill to develop. It takes years of shooting with a coach to get very good at it. This is what separates the top shooters in the world, and in many comps the difference between the top 5 guys at a match are measured in X count...that is to say they had the same scores, but some guys were better at judging the wind.

Built mine on maten set, lothar walther bar tac barrel, dpms Bcg,geiselle e trigger very happy

I agree. That's exactly what I discovered when I pieced together parts for a 308 AR build. Decided to bite the bullet and fork over for a GAP-10. 5 months to go ...

If you are interested to just get out shooting with a large frame AR, I would look at the DPMS Gen II line.