• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Precision Matthews Lathes???

Re: Precision Matthews Lathes???

I have the pm1440bv. I have only had it a month or so, I bought it used and I just had shoulder surgery Tuesday.....so I have not put a lot of hours on it yet. I do have the dro too. I had atlas and hardinge before this. It is light years ahead of the atlas in every way, the hardinge has much nicer castings and there is more love in the finish of the details on the hardinge. The pm is quite accurate, repeatable and the 2" spindle bore sure is nice. I wish mine had a qc box and a full manual brake instead of the vfd brake. Matt said it can be added but will not be as quick as a clutch rig. Those two issues are my only so far. The machine is otherwise pretty much the same look as any other import you will see. The manual that comes with the lathe is lame too, if you need to have a reference to know lathe setups, I suggest the sb or atlas books...save the pm for parts orders.

I have placed a Grizly on order but have gotten my messages telling me i probably will not see it. The Precision Mathews looks pretty good with the 2 inch hole through the head. This being said it has to have larger bearings in the Spindle. The varible speed is really good. I would like to hear more if anyone has any info as well.

I am trying to decide on which one also and I just can't justify buying the larger lathes. I know that this lathe will only be a stepping stone so why spend more on something that I know I won't have more than a couple years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GLOWWORM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have placed a Grizly on order but have gotten my messages telling me i probably will not see it. The Precision Mathews looks pretty good with the 2 inch hole through the head. This being said it has to have larger bearings in the Spindle. The varible speed is really good. I would like to hear more if anyone has any info as well. </div></div>

Just curious what you mean by the message you probably will not see it?

madd0c

Had many guys tell me they had them backordered along time. finally they cancelled the order after many months.

Matt is great to deal with, but I placed an order for a PM1236 lathe in March 10, 2009 and it arrived June 25 2009.

As soon as it got from China to Penn, it was tested, fitted with DRO, and shipped to my place in a couple days. Finally, after 4 other lathes, I have one that is not holding me back in gunsmithing.

No one knows what the Chinese will do until they do it.

There are lots of interchangeable parts between all Chinese lathes... but the different brands have different features and different paint jobs.

I think the headstocks are made in a good part of China, but the steady rests are made in a prison by amputees... just kidding, the steady rests are made in art class in an old folks home. The best steady rests get painted and go to America and the lesser ones are used as fishing weights. Look at a 15 year old Jet steady rest and a new Precision Matthews steady rest. Must have come from the same art class.

The rests do make you want to vomit.....that is a fact. They can be cleaned up pretty easy.

I got a PM12x36 from Matt. Ive had it about 6 months but haven't used it that much. Waiting on a part to fix it (my fault). Have been waiting and calling Matt every couple weeks, he has been really great to deal with. I also have a G4003 gunsmith lathe. Over all I would take the PM12x36. Each will do gunsmith work with ease, its the guy behind the machine that will make the difference.

Ok Matt and i talked and looks like i will be the owner of a PM1440BV. It is on the Boat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GLOWWORM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok Matt and i talked and looks like i will be the owner of a PM1440BV. It is on the Boat. </div></div>

I hope you enjoy that lathe, you gonna get a set tru or gonna use the spiders? Man I have been dying since Tuesday when I got some kidney stones busted up. LEt us know when the lathe arrives and me and Don will come help move it and set it up.

I ordered the Spider chuck and the Set true so i can do different setups. Ill have to make a back spider but no issue..I just hapen to have that ability !!!! LOL

Yea i talked to Don Geraci yesterday and he was giving me a hard time...BUT thats Don....He wants to come up and help set my new Lathe up and go eat lunch.

Matt had some 12x36's in stock when I placed an order. Took about 2 weeks between shipping and everything.

I can tell you it was a happy moment in my life but also a low. When I got lathe all unpacked and put together, it could be described as having a newborn child. You know its going to cost you a lot of money along the way (tooling and such). Tooling adds up fast, buy good stuff the first go around and it makes life easier.

Kc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered mine the begining of Sept and I'm still waiting. If you need a 2" spindal then I would wait. If a 1.5" is fine then go with a Grizzly. </div></div>

Ok, since Sept. (and still waiting) is somewhat of a long time. The idea of waiting that long makes we re-think searching for that all mighty SB Heavy 10. I just have to decide what I consider to be acceptable way wear.

I love the 13-40 PM lathe I got from Matt. I have no intentions of ever replacing it.

It took awhile for it to get here from Tiawan but it was very worth the wait.

Here it is the day it arrived.

img2762i.jpg