• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Mauser?

forrest342

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2011
I mostly see savage and remington 700 custom builds here. Does anyone have experiance with the mauser action? How would the mauser stack up against say a remington 700 as far as accuracy potential? I've seen a lot of beautiful "wall hangers" but not really any tactical/precision mausers. Thanks

Re: Precision Mauser?

If you are referring to the older '98 mausers many feel their day has passed. In the 50's and 60's custom and hobbyist gunsmiths used them a great deal.

Compared to modern actions the locktime is loooong. Mods can be done but for the same money you can get a Savage and be just as well off.

You could ask the same question of the old '03 Springfield.

I went the Mauser route a last year and with about a $600 investment, it is a nice sporter. The only thing is with that amount of money it shoots consistent sub moa, but it is nowhere near the performance of a out of the box Remmy.

Mine is a K.Kale turk with a Remmy take off bbl (chambered to 7x57) in a Boyd stock. No regrets, because it is what I wanted, but it is no 700 or 110.

The smithing is what kills the project, you have to have the receiver tapped, bolt turned down, bbl fitted and reamed and on and on.

If you heart is set on a Mauser, check out your local gun shops and or GB, you can find one ready made for a reasonable price. They rarely sell for anywhere close to what the builder invested.

Yep that about sums it up. You would not use a Mauser action for a civilian precision rifle if you had other choices as the controlled round feed is not that useful for feeding ammo one at a time straight of the follower and a lot of gunsmithing charges . A push feed action is easier to use. I am in the process of building up a Mauser because that's what I had laying around. If I had the cash I would start with a Hall or Nesika or even a Sako action rather than an old Mauser . Hey but we use what we have sometimes .
That is true you never get your money back on a Mauser build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: forrest342</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I mostly see savage and remington 700 custom builds here. Does anyone have experiance with the mauser action? How would the mauser stack up against say a remington 700 as far as accuracy potential? I've seen a lot of beautiful "wall hangers" but not really any tactical/precision mausers. Thanks </div></div>
I am building a tacticool Mauser 98 at the moment and preliminary accuracy is quite good .6 at 100Y with old ammo from another gun and a cheap scope . I expect with load developement and a new scope .5 is quite on the cards.
A Mauser can be quite accurate but it needs a rigid strong stock in addition to other accuracy needs.
Mauser sniper rifles are quite common in Europe , The Balkans and the middle east .

I agree with "Country". The slow lock time associated witht a 98 isn't a design flaw, it was intentional, easier to manipulate in all positions, a much faster lock time is very easy to get, buy one of David Tubb's SPEEDLOCK firing pins and springs-bang. In the early days of bench rest in the U.S. (after WWII) 98's were common on the range, in fact many custom barrel makers made "pre threaded" barrel for the 98's, 22-250 was king in those days. The type of scores turned in were not as good as they are now, generally, but were still worth noticing! The 98's cost a lot to produce, in fact the Sako 75 was "made a little cheaper" waalaa the 85 in order to keep costs down. While the Sako 75 is not a true 98- it was very close. The early Weatherby rifles were made on civ. 98's, and were in fact very fine shooters. To this day many 98's are used as sniper rifles around the world, zastava still makes "98"s to include a single shot variation. It would not be my first choice for a precision rifle, but as a tough tactical rifle, in the bolt action family, hard to beat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh yeah almost forgot, the Remington 798 is build on a Zastava Mauser action, not sure if anyone has taken one to the next level though. They are reasonably priced new in box on GB. http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_798_799_rifles.htm </div></div>

I have seen the Zastava rifles but not owned one myself. From what I saw I thought the Zastava mini mauser was roughly made and tinny. However 798 appeard much better made to me. That's about as far as my knowledge goes on Zastava actions.
However I feel a Brno VZ24 , Parker Hale (early 98 types) would be better made than a Zastava. However that does not mean a Zastava would not be Ok . I used my old Columbian Mauser which is rough as guts and it shoots good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: forrest342</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I mostly see savage and remington 700 custom builds here. Does anyone have experiance with the mauser action? How would the mauser stack up against say a remington 700 as far as accuracy potential? I've seen a lot of beautiful "wall hangers" but not really any tactical/precision mausers. Thanks </div></div>
I am building a tacticool Mauser 98 at the moment and preliminary accuracy is quite good .6 at 100Y with old ammo from another gun and a cheap scope . I expect with load developement and a new scope .5 is quite on the cards.
A Mauser can be quite accurate but it needs a rigid strong stock in addition to other accuracy needs.
Mauser sniper rifles are quite common in Europe , The Balkans and the middle east .
</div></div>

I had no idea that the old mauser actions could be that accurate. Do you have a lot of money invested in the rifle to have it shoot like that? You've got me interested.

i have a 98 mauser in 6.5-284 with a 26" benchmark barrel.
shoots .5-1 moa depending on the load.
i did not build this but picked it up at a gun show fairly cheap.
after having this i dont think i would built one myself.
there are too many other options out there for rifle builds that are better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I had no idea that the old mauser actions could be that accurate. Do you have a lot of money invested in the rifle to have it shoot like that? You've got me interested. </div></div>
Yes I have got quite a bit of money invested too much infact and as we disgused above will never get it back .
New medium weight No 4 taper 1 in 10 barrel 26 .5 inch long chambered in 243 W . New Timmney trigger. New timmney safety . Wolfe firing pin spring.
Bolt turn down , tapping holes for scope mount. Bluing the action .
Many hours of machining making a super rigid solid alloy tacticool stock and rail mount. Machine the base and lug of the action to square it up a bit. Bed the action to the alloy stock with a thin layer of JB weld.
Load the ammo with Redding competition dies and make the bullets myself. So when you weight it all up I have about $2600 invested in the setup and still need a better scope.
It is just plain nuts to do this when you can buy a very nice factory gun for $2600. I did it to see how good I could make the 100 year old Mauser action shoot. So far I am fairly happy but still battling with the need for a better scope and mount system. It may make no difference at all but the optics I have now is cheap crap so I am hoping a quality scope might make a difference.
Part of the reason it is shooting well is the hand swaged bullets I make and the super rigid / heavy stock , rigid bipod rail mount. Swaging your own allows you to make more precise bullets that are all exactly the same as they all come out of the one die set.
As a comparison this same action and 243 barrel only produced 1 MOA to 1 .4 MOA in a pillar bedded Butler creek stock with the same ammo. So the rigid heavy stock has improved accuracy by around 50% from the weak , light plastic stock .
I wanted to lighten the whole stock down a bit once it was made but I am afraid to touch it now incase I screw the accuarcy up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jake7.62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm on Country's page, build what ya got laying around..
I seem to be having a hell of a time finding a "Tactical" style stock for a mauser 98 action. BTW its built using a Commercial Zastava action..
a link to my build here on the hide
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2557702#Post2557702
</div></div>
Know exactly what you are talking about . I could not find any decent rigid stock for a 98 project at the time I was looking.
So I set about making my own. Out of a big fat bar of 7075 al. I rekon another way would be make your own laminated wood stock or buy a laminated varmint stock that is not inletted or could be made to fit the action .

i'll tell you how well you can make a tactical mauser when i get mine back from benchmark, i went all out. action was from my grandfather thus why i used it, should be interesting

Exactly right you picked it up cheap , the gun show seller picked it up cheap and the poor b*stard that built it took a beating.
However for me it's a learning thing , I have learnt so much since I started this project that it is worth it in that respect .
6.5 -284 is a nice cartridge and the 6.5 bullets have good BC's but I don't have any dies to make 6.5 bullets or load the ammo so I stuck with the calibers I already had.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'll tell you how well you can make a tactical mauser when i get mine back from benchmark, i went all out. action was from my grandfather thus why i used it, should be interesting </div></div>
Mate I bet it will be great . You are so lucky in the US . I could not even find a gunsmith in my area that would fit a barrel to an old Mauser . They seem to be afraid that they are weak actions. Most German made Mausers are stronger than modern investment cast actions .

had the action heat treated and nitrided, trued, 22" fluted, threaded and capped 260rem barrel, new bottom metal, trigger, safety, MPI tactical stock, karsten cheak rest, 20MOA base, etc etc. should be interesting.

While the Sako 75 is not a true 98- it was very close.

No, not even close. Extractor completely different, 3 lugs not 2, smaller lift radius, different recoil lug arrangement, 1 is parallel sided one is not, different bridge profiles (level bridge on Sako) etc etc

While the older sakos (L61R, M579 etc etc) share more features with the M98 they are still some distance from the original design. Did you mean these models or the S75?

wrt a precision Mauser one could do much worse than look at the Parker Hale rifles which haven't yet been mentioned. Models like the TX1200 served civilain target shooters well for many years while the M85 and C30A1 M87 etc were deployed in various military roles. I've seen several of these rifles which were capable of exceptional accuracy (certainly sub .5moa with issue RG and MEN ball) and although they are indisputably a development of the M98 they are in many respects close.

Reactions: moosemeat

I did mention Parker Hale actions way back you just missed it.
I agree with you on the Sako actions I knew that , but , the guy was nice and most of his post was helpful so I let it go.
No one is perfect not even you.
The only Parker Hales I would use is the early models that had a solid recoil lug . Some of the later models 1200's and Midlanders had removable recoil lugs if I remember correctly . anyway they were not as good as the Safaris and Super Safaris IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jake7.62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm on Country's page, build what ya got laying around..
I seem to be having a hell of a time finding a "Tactical" style stock for a mauser 98 action. BTW its built using a Commercial Zastava action..
a link to my build here on the hide
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2557702#Post2557702
</div></div>

McMillan A5 lists Mauser 98, and i'm pretty sure it says somewhere on their site that they will inlet for any actions for a little xtra.

You are right McMillan will inlett for any action . However what I wanted McMillan did not make and I hate that cutout in the bottom edge of the stock on the A5 and the hand position on most of the McMillans stocks is no good for me . I find them uncomfortable on my wrist and difficult to pick the gun up by the grip.
However they are very good stocks as far as holding zero goes and many people love them so it is most likely me being a freak.
Anyway the stock I have designed has special refinments that you can't buy in a normal stock unless you get an AI stock for a 50 cal and that is too expensive for me.

Reactions: tzillig

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: atreeman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While the Sako 75 is not a true 98- it was very close.

No, not even close. Extractor completely different, 3 lugs not 2, smaller lift radius, different recoil lug arrangement, 1 is parallel sided one is not, different bridge profiles (level bridge on Sako) etc etc

While the older sakos (L61R, M579 etc etc) share more features with the M98 they are still some distance from the original design. Did you mean these models or the S75?

wrt a precision Mauser one could do much worse than look at the Parker Hale rifles which haven't yet been mentioned. Models like the TX1200 served civilain target shooters well for many years while the M85 and C30A1 M87 etc were deployed in various military roles. I've seen several of these rifles which were capable of exceptional accuracy (certainly sub .5moa with issue RG and MEN ball) and although they are indisputably a development of the M98 they are in many respects close. </div></div>
You are 100% right, I own several, should have said, 72(aka 759). Back when I was able to buy new Sako actions in the white, there was an importer that brought in a number of the single shots, at the time many the 6PPC was coming on the scene and these were popular with a lot of guys build one for the new round. I wish I had bought a few and put them in my safe. One of the most accurate rifles I own is a SAKO, II, obermeyer barrel, jewel, McM A5 (308). An interesting historical note, SAKO built some 98's in the 1950's, they didn't actually built the actions, but did all the rest! I've never seen one, but it would be "cool" if you ever ran across one.

Here's the deal. A Mauser action can be just as accurate as any Remington or Winchester action. In fact, they are just reduced labor/process Mausers in disguise. The Win 70 is a Win 54 with some improvements which itself was a direct copy of the M98 action. The Rem 700 is a cheapened up Mauser made with thinner walls of 'tougher' steel. What Remington did for years was omit the safety features Mauser put in it's rifle's. Such as, the third lug, gas sheild shroud, blow-out holes in the bottom of the bolt and side of the forward ring. That's all.

Remington 700's and Winchester 70's use the exact same principle as Mauser did. And, they wouldn't have even gotten to produce the rifles if the U.S. hadn't stolen Mauser's ideas back in 1907 in the first place. He won that suit against the United States BTW in 1911...that was a year of a different but great American design, IYHN. No one knows how much he/his family got paid for it. But, I know his beneficiaries were about the only wealthy people in Germany AFTER WWI.

Anyhow, bottom line is: take a good Mauser action true it up. Put a lock kit in it. And, a good trigger on it. Replace the barrel with a good one that has been chambered/throated correctly for the bullet you intend to shoot. Put it in a bedded stock that fits you. But wait!....you would do that with any other 'custom rifle' you plan to build. The only difference is push feed vs. controlled round feed. I will say for micro precision shooting, feeding singly is the way to go. If you feed from a magazine it makes no difference if you have push round feed, controlled push round feed, or controlled round feed. There is the chance of bending the cartridge out of perfect alignment.

The Mauser action is no more or less of an action than any other bolt action out there.

And, FWIW, CZ has two tactical models on the market. They are the Model 700 and the Model 750. Zastava/Remington 798 (Yugoslavian made) has/had a tactical model out. FN (Winchester 70) PBR has a controlled round feed, <span style="text-decoration: underline">just like the Mauser</span>.

There isn't anything wrong with Mausers, you just have to figure out how much it will cost to do what you want vs. any other rifle. Which, when you add all the goodies to them...cost a bunch too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's the deal. A Mauser action can be just as accurate as any Remington or Winchester action. In fact, they are just reduced labor/process Mausers in disguise. The Win 70 is a Win 54 with some improvements which itself was a direct copy of the M98 action. The Rem 700 is a cheapened up Mauser made with thinner walls of 'tougher' steel. What Remington did for years was omit the safety features Mauser put in it's rifle's. Such as, the third lug, gas sheild shroud, blow-out holes in the bottom of the bolt and side of the forward ring. That's all.

Remington 700's and Winchester 70's use the exact same principle as Mauser did. And, they wouldn't have even gotten to produce the rifles if the U.S. hadn't stolen Mauser's ideas back in 1907 in the first place. He won that suit against the United States BTW in 1911...that was a year of a different but great American design, IYHN. No one knows how much he/his family got paid for it. But, I know his beneficiaries were about the only wealthy people in Germany AFTER WWI.

Anyhow, bottom line is: take a good Mauser action true it up. Put a lock kit in it. And, a good trigger on it. Replace the barrel with a good one that has been chambered/throated correctly for the bullet you intend to shoot. Put it in a bedded stock that fits you. But wait!....you would do that with any other 'custom rifle' you plan to build. The only difference is push feed vs. controlled round feed. I will say for micro precision shooting, feeding singly is the way to go. If you feed from a magazine it makes no difference if you have push round feed, controlled push round feed, or controlled round feed. There is the chance of bending the cartridge out of perfect alignment.

The Mauser action is no more or less of an action than any other bolt action out there.

And, FWIW, CZ has two tactical models on the market. They are the Model 700 and the Model 750. Zastava/Remington 798 (Yugoslavian made) has/had a tactical model out. FN (Winchester 70) PBR has a controlled round feed, <span style="text-decoration: underline">just like the Mauser</span>.

There isn't anything wrong with Mausers, you just have to figure out how much it will cost to do what you want vs. any other rifle. Which, when you add all the goodies to them...cost a bunch too. </div></div>
Agree with 99% of what you say. The only part I am not sure about is that a controlled round feed from a magazine can push low neck tension bullets out of whack . So for me I would prefer a push feed for loading single rounds one at a time .
However the Mauser 98 can have the extractor claw front edge bevelled a bit to aid push feed . I tend to use extra neck tension on my Mauser ammo to compensate.

Country,

I don't know what you are disagreeing with. I stated what you said in my third paragraph. The design of the Mauser is so that you don't leverage the case into the bolt face with the bullet. That leverage point is on the shell. However, the shorter cases like the .308 based and .250 Savage based cases can leverage up by the bullet. Not something you want to do. So, building the shorter cases in a Mauser needs to have the feed rails and feed ramp looked at to see they are sloped off enough so that, that does not happen.

Also, know that while a push feed is easier to single feed (yes you can single feed Mausers) They cannot feed 360/360 degrees. A Mauser will feed at all angles the gun is pointed in. A push feed will only feed with the magazine down or on it's non-ejecting side. Upside down or ejecting side down and you could lose the bullet as you push it into the chamber.

One of the guys that I work with has a Mauser 98 action custom build tactical in 308. It was built by an Army Smith and it shoots sub-moa. There is someone out there that does produce a tactical stock for the Mauser. I just cannot remember off the top of my head who makes it. I will see if he will let me take a pic of his rifle and post it here. The only thing he has not done yet is put a Winchester style safety on it yet.

Unless you have the skills and full machine shop facilities, there is no good reason to build on a Mauser M98 action. If your "time" is worth nothing, it could be a fun project. But if you have to pay someone, after you're done, you could have bought a custom action for what you have in it.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you have the skills and full machine shop facilities, there is no good reason to build on a Mauser M98 action. If your "time" is worth nothing, it could be a fun project. But if you have to pay someone, after you're done, you could have bought a custom action for what you have in it.....</div></div>

Having gone the route of several 'custom' Mausers I'll tell you that you don't know what you are talking about. I've had gunsmiths do most of the metal work for me. And all of my 'custom' Mausers cost way less than a custom Remington or Winchester.

I will grant that if you want to build it and keep it worth something you won't get as much money out of them as you would a brand new 'turnaround' custom. But, I have my rifle's built to shoot. Not just to look cool and get sold for as much (if not more than I paid) as I can.

With the higher prices of Mauser actions today it's getting cost prohibitive to get a Mauser action and do a build on one. That is unless you like that type action. Anyone who's ever liked pre-'64 Winchester model 70 actions can't say they don't like Mauser's because they are the same. ...Only, the original is better I think.

I have many high end custom Mausers and some of them shoot very well, I use them for hunting rifles. I do not consider them in the same league as a modern action.
Remember, the only time a Mauser was on the winning side of a conflict was when both sides used them.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have many high end custom Mausers and some of them shoot very well, I use them for hunting rifles. I do not consider them in the same league as a modern action.
Remember, the only time a Mauser was on the winning side of a conflict was when both sides used them.
smile.gif
</div></div>

That's like saying the Sherman was better than the Tiger tank. Just because we won didn't mean we had the best equipment, it meant we had the best tactics and strategies.

Edit:

Again, for those who missed it. There are two (three if you count the differences) precision rifles of world class that pretty much use the original Mauser layout. The differences do not amount to accuracy changing issues. Nor, to reliability issues. They do relate to functionality. They are:

1.-The CZ 700/750 (1 or 2 if you're counting)
2.-The FN PBR (basically a Winchester pre-'64 which is based on the Winchester 54, which is a direct copy of the M98 Mauser)
3.- Zastava M808. Not widely distributed in the U.S. but another example of the ability of the Mauser action to be a precision rifle.

I went the Mauser route because I had one that had sentimental value. This is what I did to it. Took off everything but the action, was a 1910 Amberg. Decided on 30/06 to save messing with bolt face and mag box.
1) lapped the lugs until bearing was as equal as I could get. Welded and shaped aftermarket Brownells Model 70 bolt handle
2) PacNor 26" 1.250 to 1" straight taper
3) Clymer finish reamer .005" (didn't want too tight)
4) Timney Sportsman Deluxe w/ safety
5) Brownells bolt shroud
6) shaped existing trigger guard to taste ( a LOT of work)
7) oversized laminated stock, hollowed out barrel channel, Acra glass at tang , recoil lug, and 2" ahead of "ring" to totally free float.

Rifle shoots WELL!! Would I do it again.... maybe? It was fun, I had the action, and the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you have the skills and full machine shop facilities, there is no good reason to build on a Mauser M98 action. If your "time" is worth nothing, it could be a fun project. But if you have to pay someone, after you're done, you could have bought a custom action for what you have in it.....</div></div>

Having gone the route of several 'custom' Mausers I'll tell you that you don't know what you are talking about. I've had gunsmiths do most of the metal work for me. And all of my 'custom' Mausers cost way less than a custom Remington or Winchester.

I will grant that if you want to build it and keep it worth something you won't get as much money out of them as you would a brand new 'turnaround' custom. But, I have my rifle's built to shoot. Not just to look cool and get sold for as much (if not more than I paid) as I can.

With the higher prices of Mauser actions today it's getting cost prohibitive to get a Mauser action and do a build on one. That is unless you like that type action. Anyone who's ever liked pre-'64 Winchester model 70 actions can't say they don't like Mauser's because they are the same. ...Only, the original is better I think. </div></div>

Rather than impugning your knowledge, we can agree to disagree. When I was referring to a Mauser action, I meant a military surplus action. Not a commercial Mauser.

Well McMillan will as said inlet a stock for you, the A5 are listed on the site, but i know of HTG's that's been inletted for Mausers too, so give them a call and I'm sure you will be helped out.

The problem with Mausers as mentioned is that they are quite expensive to get built and parts are hard to come by in the US at least.

In Europe Mausers are quite common to build rifles off still, although the more modern actions is taking over, still most of them originated from the Mauser originally.
When it comes to reciver strength a Mauser does not lack anything compared to most modern day actions, but i know gunsmiths has questioned the recivers stiffness due to the large cutouts.

A few modern rifles that ulitize Mauser actions have not been mentioned.

Voere's LBW and match models, they also produce magazine solutions for Mausers, along with other parts.

You also have Prechtl's GOL Sniper rifles.
If anyone is looking for a new up to date Mauser action produced to high standards this is the place to look.
Here is a link for they're match actions, it's in German though.

http://www.golmatic.de/Waffen_EN/GOL-SNIPER_en/gol-sniper_04_en.htm

I inherited a Western Field (Montgomery Wards) .30-06 from my dad when he passed. I shot it as a kid...probably more than he did. When I got it from him, I looked at it and did some research. Come to learn it was an FN commercial M98 action, and in almost new condition. One day I found an A&B stainless 7mm-08 barrel, 24", in a fairly heavy contour (.842 @ the muzzle). These were supposedly made by Shilen for a limited run for A&B. Brand new, still short chambered I paid $99.00, and I had Dave Kiff make me a match 7mm-08 reamer for it so I can shoot VLD's if I want. I also found an original trap door bottom metal ( the Western Field was top feed only) and I'm contemplating converting it to a DBM. The nice thing is, it's a long action so I can load just about any COAL I need to get the performance out of it. It's a 9.5 twist, so it won;t quite stabilize the heavies as well as a 9, but I bet it shoots 130's!
As far as stocks, Joel Russo will make a beautiful wooden replica of either the manners or McMillan, or there is Richard's Microfit Gunstocks in CA. who makes all sorts of laminated wood stocks for just about any inlet. Here's a link:
http://rifle-stocks.com/

I think this is the direction I'm going with my Mauser:
http://rifle-stocks.com/marksman.htm

I'm not expecting miracles, but it should be a nice, half way decent shooting rifle when I'm done and for the price of a stock, Timney trigger, the barrel and a little effort on my end, what the heck. I'll be in it for less than 600.00.

I forgot that my father purchased a 220 swift that was built on a 98 action from a Petty Officer that I was in the USCG with. It was a complete varmint rig and man that thing is accurate. Lots of prarie dogs turning into 10ft bottle rockets when smacked by that rifle.

IMG_0540.jpg

Heres my current build, parker hale 1200 ( Mauser 98). Early stages yet. But getting there.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 96
bilde.jpg

Here is my custom mauser 98, action is produced in 1942 army model. served in ww2 and later in the Norwegian army.
barrel was changed in 1965 to a Kongsberg, then chambered to 30-06 (was 7.92org)
mounted a AICS clone stock from a Ares aw338 airsoft rifle, the stock have a solid square alloy bar like the real deal so its plenty powerful and stiff enough to take the beating from the 30-06.
action is bedded to the tube!! magazine working perfect.
pulling out under 1moa @ 100meters even with my poor shooting skills..
safety is changed to a 1/4 safety of unknown brand, charging handle is cut of and turned.
two piece weaver base, ordered a one piece undrilled 20moa rail now and a timney trigger.

Reactions: PBWalsh
This mauser shoot around 0,40 moa

otr_finish3.jpg

Price around 1000$

Another Mauser Shooting around 0,40Moa

file.php

Shooting around a moa, price around 260$
file.php

Another mauser build
file.php

My own Mauser build is starting to shape
IMG_5189.jpg

Is working on another stock atm. Got allmost all hardware for the build, but stil need a scope mount for my NF scope, a recoild pad and some hardware for cheekrest.
I guess, for the money i used on my build, i could have brought a rem700 and upgraded it, but whats the fun in that? now i got to do some gunsmithing myself, i have learned so much more abourt the gun, i just love to do some smithing and make a unique weapon, whit my specs, and how i want it to look.

All those builds are from denmark.
The rifles are not the normal k98 from start, a company brought alots of rifles after second world war, and builded them into rifles called "Otterup"
All those rifles started there tactical travel like this.
otterup.jpg

The company changed the stock, put on a new barrel, a new trigger and diopter sight. and made them in cal 6.5x55..

Last edited:
I hav ea 30-06 built on a Turk action and it was for a long time the most accurate rifle that I owned. It is completely built by my dad and I, which meant that the 'smith bill was nothing. I got to spend time with my dad building the rifle, and until recently, it was the holder of my longest hits at ranges over 1700yd. By the time all was said and done, the scope not included, I had appx $650 into the build and about 40hr of my time.

The rifle has started falling off the last few times I shot it but I suspect the barrel is going, it has a lot of rounds through it. I have had days where consecutive 1/2 MOA or better groups at 500yd were shot, groups in the 1/3MOA from 100yd. The lock time is long but for well supported positions it doesn't matter, off a barricade I could see it being kinda crappy.

They can be made to shoot really really well, but like was mentioned early in the thread, the gunsmith's labor bill is usually going to eat up the savings you'd have from other avenues.

ETA: I didn't know that the Rem 798 were imported Mauser type actions, I had never given them any attention though I'm strongly thinking about it now.

Last edited:
I hav ea 30-06 built on a Turk action and it was for a long time the most accurate rifle that I owned. It is completely built by my dad and I, which meant that the 'smith bill was nothing. I got to spend time with my dad building the rifle, and until recently, it was the holder of my longest hits at ranges over 1700yd. By the time all was said and done, the scope not included, I had appx $650 into the build and about 40hr of my time.

The rifle has started falling off the last few times I shot it but I suspect the barrel is going, it has a lot of rounds through it. I have had days where consecutive 1/2 MOA or better groups at 500yd were shot, groups in the 1/3MOA from 100yd. The lock time is long but for well supported positions it doesn't matter, off a barricade I could see it being kinda crappy.

They can be made to shoot really really well, but like was mentioned early in the thread, the gunsmith's labor bill is usually going to eat up the savings you'd have from other avenues.

ETA: I didn't know that the Rem 798 were imported Mauser type actions, I had never given them any attention though I'm strongly thinking about it now.

I've got a 300WM 798 that I am going to use for a build. I think I paid $300 for the rifle. I have yet to purchase a new barrel. Mark Skaggs is pretty confident that he can get them to shoot. I'm going for a 9lb (scoped) hunting rifle. I'm thinking a #4 or #5 barrel. I bought a High Tech Specialties stock since it is lightweight.

I've got a 300WM 798 that I am going to use for a build. I think I paid $300 for the rifle. I have yet to purchase a new barrel. Mark Skaggs is pretty confident that he can get them to shoot. I'm going for a 9lb (scoped) hunting rifle. I'm thinking a #4 or #5 barrel. I bought a High Tech Specialties stock since it is lightweight.[/QUOT

If you are referring to the older '98 mausers many feel their day has passed. In the 50's and 60's custom and hobbyist gunsmiths used them a great deal.

Compared to modern actions the locktime is loooong. Mods can be done but for the same money you can get a Savage and be just as well off.

You could ask the same question of the old '03 Springfield.
I have a K98 large ring in .308 with a bull barrel, jeweled throughout, bedded up in a Boyd’s thumbhole stock. 2” groups at 300 with federal match grade 168gr, ringing the 8” plate at 600 all day long. I bought it already done and hate to fool with it but I’d love to ditch the stock and go with a nice chassis. Any rec’s for a large ring with a bull barrel?

Attachments

• C4B03D1F-920B-4B81-9E3F-19F23788CC1A.jpeg
    C4B03D1F-920B-4B81-9E3F-19F23788CC1A.jpeg
    954.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 14CD4A4A-5E1B-4A57-959B-AB9611E91530.jpeg
    14CD4A4A-5E1B-4A57-959B-AB9611E91530.jpeg
    938.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 1B744491-0559-4A8F-BC78-1DDA029ACFF9.jpeg
    1B744491-0559-4A8F-BC78-1DDA029ACFF9.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 736CD590-9819-411E-AF58-A878DE1781B4.jpeg
    736CD590-9819-411E-AF58-A878DE1781B4.jpeg