• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Precision rifle training in WA?

JS624

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 10, 2014
Washington
Anyone know of some good long range training classes in Washington state?

Contact Travis and Jesse Redell of RBros Rifles, they put on trainings periodically. Scott Satterlee of CORE Shooting also does training up here in WA.

Of course you can also just start showing up and shooting the local matches, lots of small "train up" matches depending on what part of the state you're in, as well as the NWPRL matches as part of the PRS Club Series. Nothing like learning by doing, and there are a lot of helpful shooters out there.

U.S. optics academy. They have one of the top shooters in the country up there Jake Vibberet.

Think the cascade rifle club puts on some but they have limited range (600)...not positive as not there anymore

Any recommendations for a novice long range shooter? I want to get better, but know enough to see where I need instruction.

Caylen is no longer at Magpul ...

He is branching out and with a different group now

It's an old thread but I'm bumping to see if there are any other updates or changes? I don't see any 2018 listings at rbrosrifles and in loking at gunwerks I am unable to find any noted to be taught by Caylen. Any tips/suggestions?

I took the one with core shooting taught by Scott satterlee.
it was well worth it.

I often hear guys say they want to try PRS, but its too intimidating (myself included). I realize there are individual threads & articles on probably every aspect of PRS, but I'm not sure I've seen a comprehensive (covers all bases), high level overview (sans minutae) write up. If there is one, please provide a link. Thanks

Firearms Academy of Seattle in Onalaska WA has a precision rifle course. Thunder Ranch in Lakeview OR has a Counter Sniper course.

If you just want to keep your skills sharp, and maybe learn a bit along the way, Upper Nisqually Sportsman's club still has PRS style matches on the first Saturday of each month. The range only goes out to 600 yards, but the match directors are creative enough to put on courses of fire that are fun and challenging. They get to use both the 600 and 550 yard ranges, so the waiting to shoot between stages isn't so long as they can put two stages on each range at the same time.

Hope to revive this thread. I'm a new shooter looking to take my very first class for precision shooting. Shot plenty with only iron sights in the Army so scopes are completely new to me. The Firearms Academy of Seattle (which ironically is over 100 miles from Seattle) doesn't have courses very frequently. I would need something starting at the absolute beginning, maybe even at setting up my scope. I'd hate to drop several thousand dollars on a scope only to brake it.

Hope to revive this thread. I'm a new shooter looking to take my very first class for precision shooting. Shot plenty with only iron sights in the Army so scopes are completely new to me. The Firearms Academy of Seattle (which ironically is over 100 miles from Seattle) doesn't have courses very frequently. I would need something starting at the absolute beginning, maybe even at setting up my scope. I'd hate to drop several thousand dollars on a scope only to brake it.

Reactions: CaylenW
That class looks perfect. I'll have to save my pennies though, that's quite a chunk of change.
Everyone is in their own situation but this hobby ain't cheap. All these classes feel on 1st look like quite a bit "just" for instruction. But unless I'm misreading the description of his 101 class that is a four day class for $900 with a highly regarded instructor. I'd want to know the max enrollment/student teacher ratio, but you aren't going to find many for that fair of a price. There is a guy here in central FL that charges $1300 for a 3 day course, lmao. Plus the convenience of being close to your location. I got nothing near me.

Everyone is in their own situation but this hobby ain't cheap. All these classes feel on 1st look like quite a bit "just" for instruction. But unless I'm misreading the description of his 101 class that is a four day class for $900 with a highly regarded instructor. I'd want to know the max enrollment/student teacher ratio, but you aren't going to find many for that fair of a price. There is a guy here in central FL that charges $1300 for a 3 day course, lmao. Plus the convenience of being close to your location. I got nothing near me.
Yeah that’s a great price

Yeah that’s a great price
Oh, I'm fully aware what I'm getting myself into and what the course entails. But considering the fact that I'll be lucky to get the gear I need (rifle, glass, bipod, rail, etc., etc., etc.) for under $5,000, the initial investment will be quite large and take some time to recoup from.

I"m in WA as well. You don't need to spend $5k to get a setup that will work reliably well at 1000 yards. I started with a Tikka TAC A1 (can be had for $1500-1600) and a Vortex PST II 5-25X FFP (~$950). Even splurging on the TBAC Bipod, you're right around $3k. If you wanted to move up to a NF NX8 then add on another $1k. you could also go with the API SH edition rifle for some future upgrade options.

The setup will let your build your fundamentals and you'll likely realize the limiting factor isn't the equipment :).

I"m in WA as well. You don't need to spend $5k to get a setup that will work reliably well at 1000 yards. I started with a Tikka TAC A1 (can be had for $1500-1600) and a Vortex PST II 5-25X FFP (~$950). Even splurging on the TBAC Bipod, you're right around $3k. If you wanted to move up to a NF NX8 then add on another $1k. you could also go with the API SH edition rifle for some future upgrade options.

The setup will let your build your fundamentals and you'll likely realize the limiting factor isn't the equipment :).
$5k was a bit of an exaggeration. I was actually looking at a Bergara B-14 HMR (I’m a lefty) I’m not under the impression that the limiting factor is gear. I figure I could put the money I save going with the Bergara towards the scope.

hope my post didn't come across wrong. it was intended to be lighthearted. I wasn't trying to talk down in saying the equipment wasn't the limiting factor. I had originally included "like I learned" in the post. I'm no where near an expert. I still consider myself a beginner, like you.

You'll have fun with this sport. It is easy to chase things. And costs can easily add up. If you really wanted to go all out you could go buy the $5k Black 300WM AXMC that was noted in another post here on the hide.

I actually first bought a Tikka CTR to try out rifle shooting. I was lucky that it was a great shooting rifle and I could shoot <1" groups all day long. Having not shot rifles at all in years it was an encouraging start. With something like the CTR, and even the HMR, you may find that it just doesn't have quite enough adjustability to it or may not allow for bipod/rail mount where you want. Since the CTR didn't have an adjustable stock, I started looking for a chassis for it but then rationalized that I'd be better off adding a TAC A1 vs upgrading the CTR.

For the classes, last year I flew up to Anchorage to do Marc & Frank's course there. Great course and I definitely recommend it. But with the noted courses being a couple hour drive away instead, I'm trying to figure out what dates work for me to go there this year.

hope my post didn't come across wrong. it was intended to be lighthearted. I wasn't trying to talk down in saying the equipment wasn't the limiting factor. I had originally included "like I learned" in the post. I'm no where near an expert. I still consider myself a beginner, like you.

You'll have fun with this sport. It is easy to chase things. And costs can easily add up. If you really wanted to go all out you could go buy the $5k Black 300WM AXMC that was noted in another post here on the hide.

I actually first bought a Tikka CTR to try out rifle shooting. I was lucky that it was a great shooting rifle and I could shoot <1" groups all day long. Having not shot rifles at all in years it was an encouraging start. With something like the CTR, and even the HMR, you may find that it just doesn't have quite enough adjustability to it or may not allow for bipod/rail mount where you want. Since the CTR didn't have an adjustable stock, I started looking for a chassis for it but then rationalized that I'd be better off adding a TAC A1 vs upgrading the CTR.

For the classes, last year I flew up to Anchorage to do Marc & Frank's course there. Great course and I definitely recommend it. But with the noted courses being a couple hour drive away instead, I'm trying to figure out what dates work for me to go there this year.
No problem at all! I’m new to all this so I appreciate all advice!

Just saw thread also. Former USASS Instructor in Vancouver WA. I try to get out to State lands to shoot. Found a place that can get out to 7 or 800m last year. I'm trying to put together a PTSD program for precision shooting and hope to get some steel targets for this year. It is hard to get time for quality shooting. Where are you in the Pacific NW?

Caylen, Scott Satterlee at sawtooth, r Bros, or come to a club match. If Wa or Oregon don't line up, there are plenty in Western Idaho as well.

Hey guys, just seeing this thread and wanted to let you know we’re offering a whole new line of open enrollment courses in Yakima for 2020.

Check out the new site at www.moderndaysniper.com for the schedule.

Hi Caylen, just checked out the website - very impressive site, very informative!

I'm interested in taking PR 101 course but I wanted to check if you had minimum caliber requirements? I only own ARs chambered in 6.8 SPC and 223 Wylde. I can get MOA accuracy out of them but just wanted to check that this is sufficient for this course?

Thanks