• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Seating Dies

BKKSW

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2017
Looking for the current wisdom about seating dies that can be precise in both seating depth and concentricity. I'm using Mighty Armory sizing dies and love them. The cases come out of those dies with the necks showing less than .002 runout, often only .001.

But when trying to make precision rounds, my current load I'm working on is .223, my Hornady seating does are all over the place in both seating depth and runout. I tried a Forster Ultra Seating Die and it was very precise with both dimensions, but the seating stem kept flaring and I'd have to bring the stem down .003 with each round. Communications with Forster confirmed this is normal IF you're compressing loads, have burrs on the inside case neck, or if the neck tension is too high. Well, several of my favorite loads are compressed and I like a slightly elevated neck tension.

I ended up with a Franklin Armory universal seating die kit and so far its adequate, seating depth is 'okay' keeping most rounds within .002 of my target, and within .003-.004 total runout. I would prefer better but these will do until I find better. Any ideas?

I'm considering the SAC kit that covers from .223-.30 Anyone have any experiences with these dies? What dies would you recommend?

Thank you.

Dont have any SAC kit but i have been using Wilson Seating dies with a arbor press with good results.

Just out of pure curiosity, what is your runout on a case BEFORE you run it through the sizing die?

The best there is without spending a small fortune.

l_749014489_2.jpg

Reactions: Rocketmandb
I have the early release SAC seater. I don’t measure runout anymore, but the consistency in seating depth is very good and the stem is a very good fit on almost every bullet I’ve tried (from 22 - 264).

Reactions: Marine52
Just out of pure curiosity, what is your runout on a case BEFORE you run it through the sizing die?

l_749014489_2.jpg

Not only do I think they're the best as well (even when spending a small fortune), but the entire setup (arbor press, force gauge) allows you to understand where your problems are and how best to maximize consistency. I consider getting an arbor press and LE Wilson Seaters to be the single most consequential addition I did to my reloading process.

Not just LE Wilson dies, but Sinclair's modified version with the much better micrometer seen above. I chucked all of my old school arbor dies for these newer Sinclair dies - so much easier/faster to accurately adjust.

Not just LE Wilson dies, but Sinclair's modified version with the much better micrometer seen above. I chucked all of my old school arbor dies for these newer Sinclair dies - so much easier/faster to accurately adjust.

You're probably going to make me spend more money by answering this...

What do you find as superior about the design?

Oh dude, it's so much easier to use. No loosening/tightening screws - just twist the micrometer head like a traditional die. It's been about 10+ years since I was using the old fashioned LE Wilson dies, so maybe they make an easier to adjust version now? I just know that the Sinclair-modified version, while pricey, is so much faster and easier to adjust.

Dont have any SAC kit but i have been using Wilson Seating dies with a arbor press with good results.
Thanks. Do you feel the arbor press is more accurate than say the Forster or Frankland Arsenal co-ax type presses? I'll look up the Wilson dies.

This is the rig I use with my Sinclair/Wilson bullet seating die. The base is made by Dale Carpenter (DC Firearms). All the hydraulics are sealed in the base. The arbor portion is a standard K&M press.

1655406840601.png

l_749014489_2.jpg
Is that only a micrometer head? The Sinclair's are very good. The Mitutoyo's are pretty good too.

The new Starline brass I'm sizing has about .008-..012 out of the bag.. the Mighty Armory sizing die takes that to .001 or less if you run it up/down 2-3 times.

This is the rig I use with my Sinclair/Wilson bullet seating die. The base is made by Dale Carpenter (DC Firearms). All the hydraulics are sealed in the base. The arbor portion is a standard K&M press.

View attachment 7892904
That looks sweet. Thanks. I like how small this looks and seating long for a range trip appeals greatly to me, because my range is a good hours drive and with todays gas prices I can save buying this tool (just practicing for when my wife asks..)..

• Haha
Reactions: M.A. Matteson
Is that only a micrometer head? The Sinclair's are very good. The Mitutoyo's are pretty good too.

The new Starline brass I'm sizing has about .008-..012 out of the bag.. the Mighty Armory sizing die takes that to .001 or less if you run it up/down 2-3 times.
The Sinclair/Wilson die is a bullet seater not a sizing die.
What you see is the complete bullet seating die.

Any chance you have a link for DC Firearms? I googled and found a place but not sure its the right place. Thank you.

That looks sweet. Thanks. I like how small this looks and seating long for a range trip appeals greatly to me, because my range is a good hours drive and with todays gas prices I can save buying this tool (just practicing for when my wife asks..)..
If I'm doing a velocity test (trying to find a certain velocity node, I'll load 5 rounds of various powder drops and then cap the brass with vinyl thread protectors. I might not have to shoot all the various loads that I brought so I can take home the loads that I have not shot, pull the vinyl cap off and pour the powder back in the jug."
"Waste not, want not."
They are color coded for size, the yellow caps fit a .264 cartridge neck while the white ones fit a .243 cartridge neck. They are reusable and fit the necks very snug. They need to be pulled off, so if you drop or knock over a case no powder will be spilled.

yellows-golds-everbilt-screw-caps-812818-64_300.jpg

View attachment 7892904

Nice! I love mine - might be getting an AMP press so I can 'see' a little more detail, but Dale's setup is pretty nice.

Had fits with mine for a while, but that turned out to be my own fault. I'd previously had the K&M force-gauge washer setup on the press, and just took off the dial indicator when I bolted the press onto the hydro base - I left the damn washer stack head in place. Made the thing all 'squishy' and messed with the feel a bunch. Won't even mention how long it took me to figure that out... :rolleyes: