• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Shooting Gear Recommendations

dbransco

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I am fairly new to precision shooting and am looking for some advice on what equipment might be most advantageous to obtain. I know the question is vague, so let me try to clarify. I have been pinching my pennies and acquiring my ideal precision setup over the last 1-2 years. My employment requires that I travel a considerable amount so I have sacrificed “daily shooting” by going without until I could afford what I really wanted. I have the rifle, scope, and some good ammo on hand now, I just need more time behind it! While traveling, I obtain points that I use as my “fun” money, so here lies the question, what would be the most advantageous to get. I have been thinking range finder, binoculars, wind meter and ballistic computer?
My rifle is an AW 260 and the scope is an S&B 3-20.
I somewhat like the idea of foregoing the range finder and just using the reticle to range things in order to get more proficient. I’m really leaning towards the binoculars or ballistics computer, but don’t really know if I would get the most out of a computer with my current skill level and shooting within 260 range?

Sorry to ramble. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Precision Shooting Gear Recommendations

Seeing how you travel, I'd pick up a Kestrel first off. When you're away from the home, on lunch break or whetever, you can whip out your kestrel and start guessing the windspeed around you. Might not work if you end up downtown alot but it would be something to work on a skill while away. Getting to know the wind is what kicks my ass at this point.

Depending on the type of shooting you will do most often, a range finder and wind meter will probably be useful. A good spotting scope and/or a shooting chronograph might also be useful, if you don't already have them. To get the most out of any ballistic prediction software/devices, you'll need good muzzle velocity data.

we have used most of the wind meters in competition side by side and the Kestrel is by far the best with no peers. Mostly because it is non-directional and does not need to be manipulated and constantly aimed into the wind.
I have seen shooters that struggled with the wind for years come around and start winning asap after getting one....

Best hundred bucks you may ever spend!

We offer wind meters,data books and any other long range tool you may need.

Drop a line if we can be of any help!

I vote memorize the Beaufort Wind Scale. Since you have limited time to practice, you may want to get a long-distance shooting lesson. You may also want to consider getting into reloading. It is the only logical step. I've personally debated about rangefinders, wind-meters, etc. One other considerable acquisition would be a mil-dot spotting scope. Whatever you decide, Nomad will take good care of you.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. Looks like a wind meter is the common choice. I do like the idea of being able to train with it while traveling.

Thanks again!

If your travels take you somewhere where you're close to a precision rifle training facility, spend an extra couple days there and learn from the pros. It could be a good way to offset travel costs associated with training classes.

I say skip the laser unless you hunt. The matches don't allow them, you need milling practice, and its very good training to simply guess, send one, watch your splash, make the correction, and score a hit.

A spotter with good reticle is a nice tool to have though, use mine all the time.

Good Chrono. They can be a pain to set up and work with on a public range but the data you get will be important. All the ballistic computers will need the velocity as well as weather inputs. There are usually other ways to collect your weather. If you use an iPhone, it will get you close weather, if the guy next to you has current weather, you could ask him, you can get the weather by phone by calling the airport and several other places. You can't ask the iPhone, guy next to you or the airport what your muzzle velocity is. You can calculate the velocity by shooting and recording hits at distance and doing the math, but it takes time and patience.
Though you don't necessarily use it every time you shoot, it's good data to have at all times.
Kestrel is one of the best tools because like the Chrono, the data is important.
Ballistics software on PDA or phone. You can learn from it in down time while traveling. You can learn a lot by just entering information in the blocks and see the results from velocities, BC of different bullets. You can also see the changes in elevation and wind age based on different atmospheric conditions you give the software. If you have JBM downloaded, you can do this free offline as well.
Data book is important. Why buy all the other stuff if you don't keep the data to refer to? Data book is good on your trips too. You can take the time to organize it and tweak it to benefit you most. Nomads books are great. You can use his printed sheets to suit yourself or make some of your own sheets to your benefit.
Several things you can do to learn while traveling. Subscribe to the SH online training. It's worth the money and your time. Watch the videos and read the written lessons. Save the printed lesson to your computer or iPad and read them while traveling with no Internet connection.
There are ways to do stuff without spending money every time.(don't tell my wife though).
Good luck.

SP

I would say stick to the basics... you didn't mention bipod, sling, or rear bags/monopods, data book and you can take two or three classes for the same money you'd spend on a range finder... you'll figure out what you want next after an intense class.

Also, you can download the shooter program to your droid or iphone for $9.99 and it works

If you have someone that shoots with you, a spotter with a reticle is a definite.

You've got an accurate rifle, a great scope, so invest in lots of quality ammuniton and a databook.

The other things you need will make themselves apparent as you keep shooting.

Start with sandbags that are probably already at the range... don't bother with a bipod yet.

You don't even need a spotting scope to start. Walk to your target. Gives you time to think about the shots you just made and how you could improve things. You won't be starting at 800 anyway... by the time you get out to the point where you need a spotting scope, you will know you need one.

As for Kestrals, shooting mats, shades, tents, coriolis compensators, tripods, heat-seeking scopes, etc... forget it for now. It's all good stuff when and if you need it. But when you are starting out, piles of fresh shiny gear just get in the way of the fundamentals. Because it always just comes down to you and your rifle.

And if you buy tons of stuff before you know what you want/need, you will just end up buying it twice or get a bunch of stuff you never use.

Precision shooting is a fantastic pursuit and ultimately, there are more gear-buying opportunities than just about anything out there. But start slow. Start with a minimal mount of *the best* gear and whatever training you can afford. Roddd's suggestion of using travel time to go to training facilities is an outstanding one...

Ultimately, let your extra equipment grow with you, don't try and grow into your extra equipment.

One last thought given your travel schedule and your limited time to get to the range... consider investing in a quality air rifle and a target back stop. If you can't get out to shoot the .260, perhaps you can find time to shoot at 75 feet w. an air rifle more frequently and that will translate directly to your skill on the range.

Again, it comes down to you and your rifle.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Again, thanks to everyone for the great advice! My ultimate plan is to travel with my rifle and shoot on the weekends. As said above, I don't think there is any substitute for time behind the rifle. I have been shooting nearly 25 years and I do have bipod, sling, data book, AW spike (sorry I didnt mention previously), but I am very green in the fundamentals of precision shooting. I have been reading Brian Litz's book and it put a lot into perspective. I do like the idea of a wind meter and chronograph. I think both would provide what I am looking for in order to grow into the next step.

Thanks a lot!!

+1 on the chrono and the Kestrel, both a must have but a chrono or acess to one from time to time is the most important if you want to shoot any distance at all.

You need some Triad Tactical!!

Just playing with you of course. If that rig you have is your first, you are off to a pretty good start :)

Now that you have the rig, slow down a little and take your time on the rest of the accessories. If you cant travel with a rifle right now, read while on the road. Cant get to the range while at home, mil stuff and dry fire. Get to the range and shoot when you can. As range time gets harder for me to find, I think my brain is going soft on the "art" side of shooting. If I get behind a rifle, I can send rounds down range and get good hits, as long as I have time to set the shot up. I find it taking longer to process. Guess I will not win the big on this year either......

If you use a iphone, then I would recommend getting the Bullet Flight L1 or L2 by Knights armament. They both are fairly inexpensive and are used by US forces in combat as we speak. Now that is a decent cover for the ballistic calculator. Next would have to be a range finder. You can get a lot of great training, by knowing your distance, then learning to understand how that number plays in regard to your S&B reticule. Remember, you need to crawl before you walk. Good luck and straight shooting!!

I would get a Kestrel, a good pack, an app for your phone to calculate external ballistics and if you are going to get serious, get one of the belt/suspender rigs that the pro's are using. be safe and we'll see you on the range