• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Predator Baiting Techniques

Slapchop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2009
New York
This goes to the predator hunters on here, what are some of the techniques you guys use to lure in the coyotes, foxes, bobcats, bears etc etc?

I've read up on different types such as "baitsicles", confidence baiting, gut piles, drag bagging so on and so forth. Does anyone on here have any experience with the aforementioned methods and if so are they successful?

Anyone do anything different that has been proven to work?

Re: Predator Baiting Techniques

carcass dump. hit it at night. especially now that deer season is in full swing here. some of my farmer friends are encouraging carcass dumping for this purpose alone.

I'm a trapper in the early season. The carcass dump is always a good idea, but I can lure them in any season with a good, strong call lure. I'm surprised more predator hunters don't usually lures/baits as much as they could? I usually get all of my baits/lures from Minnesota Trapline Products.

http://www.minntrapprod.com/catalog/

Usually when we bait we just do it over gutpiles or carcasses. When i call though i do use a homemade fur tail decoy and then i spray it with mink musk. Never had any problems with it, its not necessarily to draw them in just more for them to focus on the decoy than ME.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dirty_drew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Usually when we bait we just do it over gutpiles or carcasses. When i call though i do use a homemade fur tail decoy and then i spray it with mink musk. Never had any problems with it, its not necessarily to draw them in just more for them to focus on the decoy than ME. </div></div>
How bout some pictures and a desciption of your homemade decoy? I've been thinking about making one myself, but haven't come up with a way to make the tail move.

I'd be interested in seeing a photo of the decoy, as well.

I've just recently begun reading about predator hunting. I've not actually had the pleasure of doing any myself. But I know the coyotes are running rampant in the northern half ofour state and I'm planning on taking some out next year.

Not trying to thread jack, But if one wants to trap a fox in a live trap, what would you bate it with? I don't trap but I know where some kick ass looking foxes are and would like to get me a trappers permit and try to get a few.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to thread jack, But if one wants to trap a fox in a live trap, what would you bate it with? I don't trap but I know where some kick ass looking foxes are and would like to get me a trappers permit and try to get a few. </div></div>

I've not used a live trap, but I've had good luck with Hiawatha Valley by Caven's Baits for fox.

setup overlooking dead sheep or at lambing season over the areas where the farmer dumps his carcasses. also iv shot several rabbits and staked them down and overwatched that. get alot of my foxes that way

As far as live trapping a fox, this guy makes live traps for coyotes that I'm sure would work for a fox as well.
advancedtrap.com