• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Predator hunt over bait

Re: Predator hunt over bait

I have been wondering the same thing. I have been hunting yotes over bait and calling at the same time, but with very little success.

We've hunted over deer gut piles. It works sometimes. A call is more predictable on when they will come in. I use a rabbit in destress mouth call, and it works most of the time.

Its hit or miss for me. If theres a ton of other food, then they dont need it. Seems like we have sat on dead cow carcasses a few nites and nothing shows, then a few nites later its gone. Other times they get hit within hours. I would say set up some bait up wind of a den, then sit cross wind from the bait. Make them smell that food all day while in the den!

i just went out yesterday and got 4 dogs (trying to get rid of the mange), a couple were right by some carrion, the dogs were full as ticks, so i thought logically if they are full why would they come to a call of a rabbit or an animal they prey upon in distress, so i went with coyote pup whimpers real quiet like, got em all to come in with that sound, ALTHOUGH, i would not doubt a dog that has never been called befor would come to a prey distress call while full, out of curiosity or natural instinct, just haven't had it happen befor, and i have killed LOTS of dogs on carrion. Try some dog sounds, howls, whimpers, challenge, pup, they have worked for me.
My advice for hunting over bait, pack a lunch, sometimes its a long wait, sometimes you don't ever see one, but when you do its worth it.

what ive noticed is the more they are hunted the more nocturnal they get. if bait is being eaten but nothing during the day. sneak within a few hundred yards downwind in the dark and wait for first light. they wont be spooked and they will be feeding prior to returning to their dens. bait piles are much more productive when food is hard to find, i.e. when its very cold and they have to eat. during the warm days, its less and less productive.

Id sit and wait

300yds

Picture840.jpg

I'm for sitting and waiting too.

Sometimes coyotes don't particularly like eating on something in the open and exposed. They will try and drag it off somewhere where they like it and feel more comfortable.

I'm for shootin' em off dead shit for sure!!!

I hate waiting. We always call and never bait. The tournaments in my area don't allow baiting, not that it really helps when calling and trying to get as many animals as possible in 24hrs.

We just had snow recently and I did see coyotes out on dead cows during that time. A lot of times if the animal has been doctored the coyotes won't eat the meat depending on what it was vaccinated with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ridge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id sit and wait

300yds

Picture840.jpg
</div></div>

You got some fat yotes!

Nice picture!

Hunting bait can be spotty as coyotes are pretty tuned in to being hunted and once shot at on a bait the rest get pretty careful about coming to it in day light.

Down wind and scent free are important and a fresh gut pipe is probably the best I've seen. We killed dogs off a gut pipe 30 min after removing the deer.

Had a some luck using a greet howl just as the sun went down to make it sound like some other dogs were already getting some lunch but works best if food is scarce.

Id call a local rancher, calving season is going on.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8k0jcRj326A"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8k0jcRj326A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

nice vid ridge, whats you max range with those zeiss LRF's, you got more yote vids on utube?

Baiting is best used in conjunction with calling in my experience. The bait gets them in the area and the calling gets them to come to you. You can spend a lot of time waiting and not have a dog show up, but if he is there he will come to the call even with a full stomach. I called one in with a pheasant in his mouth that was still warm, greedy criter.

IMO calling on bait is not a good idea....calling is my trump card. You will get one crack at it...if you call in three together and kill one of those, the other two are gonna come damn hard by call...if at all. Coyotes working bait will not leave it alone until its gone no matter how much you hunt it...they will find a way. Coyotes shot at and missed on bait havent heard a call....save it for when you need it.

I dont sit on a bait either...I check it in the morning and if nothing is on it I move on. Be sure to check it correctly by looking at all the vantage points within 1/2 mile of where it is. They usually dont stray far from it when they fill up and like to sometimes be within view of it from a high spot. I've killed a lot of coyotes by sneaking on them near bait piles.

we dont have coyotes but i often use bait for foxs, a few rabbits tied down with one or two gutted often has them feeding on it at first light or come evening, its lambing season here now and dead lambs and sheep are a great place to sit and watch over . il often call if there is no sign at first or last light but if 2 fox's come and i can only be sure of 1 kill then il let them eat for a little while before i shoot, that way the fox that gets away although may be now wary of feedin on a carcase wont be wary of a call so at least you can call him again some time

A few years ago on our deer lse the rancher was feeding a steer to eat he was in a big pen he fed it that evening then tne next morning he went to feed it and just bones and hide was left. He weighed about 700 pounds at the time, he had the govt trappers come in and they killed about 15 yotes They had another old cow die so we dragged it below a old buildihg out in the pasture his son and me and my nephews would sneak up before daylight and after 2 months we killed 25 more. The last few years we have been killing feral hogs and killing yotes off them.

I'm with everyone for not useing distressed rabbit calls on the bait but if you howl a few times it will bring the coyotes in the area in to investigate.