• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Predator Hunters

MJBmxz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2010
Chilton,WI
www.facebook.com
We've been getting over run with foxes this last couple years, and they have knocked down the rabbit and turkey population pretty hard on our farm. Any tips I can use to kill em would be helpfull. Not looking to spend much $. I was thinking of getting a rabbit distress call, using my spotlight with the red lens, and setting up my turkey blind at night to call them in, and use scent control. Is this a good start, or am I going about it the wrong way? It's on a 200 acre farm, so not like I can move around alot to call them.

Re: Predator Hunters

Good start although I wouldn't worry about using a turkey blind at night and scent control is no biggie if you're playing the wind right. Have you ever thought about trapping them? I've never trapped one but a friend of mine trapped 12 of them off a 320 acre piece a half mile behind my house a few years ago. Not sure what he was using for bait or lure but the cages he was using were cheap ugly little things so it must not take a high dollar trap to get them inside. Probably most effective way to deal with them IMO.

That sucks I just moved to AZ from Sheboygan, WI I would of gladly swung over your way to help with that problem, and showed you a few tricks.

Sounds like your on to a good start, as far as the blind though if it isnt set up prior it will be too much noise and movement. You can do without just sit down and use a bipod/shooting sticks and sit still. Rabbit ditress will work its the old stand by, otherwise bird distress works very well too.

Another trick is take a turkey feather tied to fishing line and hang it on a tree limb out in front of you at dusk. The movement made by it will help keep their eyes focused on that not on you.

One thing I noticed with calling in that part of the state sit longer then you read online or in mags. The yotes/foxs have been called alot around there and some are call shy. Sit a little longer use the wind to your favor. They will more then likely try to swing down wind of you so watch for that.

I did a lot of trapping found it worked better then calling most of the time, though to get started will take money. So give it a try calling if there is that many around you should have some sucess.

Take care

We did have a friend of the family come trap them. He ended up with 5, then he quit getting them. He said the other places he went he still was getting them, but by us they just stopped. It was odd he said. I've taken it upon myself to get them with lead!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bbear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good start although I wouldn't worry about using a turkey blind at night and scent control is no biggie if you're playing the wind right. Have you ever thought about trapping them? I've never trapped one but a friend of mine trapped 12 of them off a 320 acre piece a half mile behind my house a few years ago. Not sure what he was using for bait or lure but the cages he was using were cheap ugly little things so it must not take a high dollar trap to get them inside. Probably most effective way to deal with them IMO. </div></div>

I like the feather idea, I'll have to try that. 10 yrs ago, a few neighbors would hunt foxes, now no one in the area does it anymore. Heck, we never seen foxes till the last few years. I appreciate the help. Time to get rid of these damn things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sucks I just moved to AZ from Sheboygan, WI I would of gladly swung over your way to help with that problem, and showed you a few tricks.

Sounds like your on to a good start, as far as the blind though if it isnt set up prior it will be too much noise and movement. You can do without just sit down and use a bipod/shooting sticks and sit still. Rabbit ditress will work its the old stand by, otherwise bird distress works very well too.

Another trick is take a turkey feather tied to fishing line and hang it on a tree limb out in front of you at dusk. The movement made by it will help keep their eyes focused on that not on you.

One thing I noticed with calling in that part of the state sit longer then you read online or in mags. The yotes/foxs have been called alot around there and some are call shy. Sit a little longer use the wind to your favor. They will more then likely try to swing down wind of you so watch for that.

I did a lot of trapping found it worked better then calling most of the time, though to get started will take money. So give it a try calling if there is that many around you should have some sucess.

Take care </div></div>

Foxes don't care. No blind needed, ain't even got to be super keerful about scent control. If you are near enough to a fox and start calling they will be there soon enough and it don't really matter what sound you are using. Frantic little boogers. Shotguns are the order of the day on em

They are way easier to call than coyotes. Shotgun with goose loads will do it.