• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Predator Rifles

3hundredWM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
In the shadows.
This might have been done already but I would love to see what everyone is using. Mine is currently in the paint stage so I'll post it up in a few days after it's done.

Re: Predator Rifles

DSC01045.jpg

22-250, Stiller Tac-30, Bartlein 8 twist #5 at 25inches, Manners SL stock, BDL bottom metal, Seekins rings, Leupold VX3 4.5-14 with B&C Reticle.

Coyote rifle number 1
6mmSPC_LeftSideFull.jpg

This rifle is a custom built 6mm SPC. It was built by Danny Cheatham at LazyD gunsmithing in Bixby, OK. The parent is a 6.8 SPC but this is necked down to accept the 6mm bullets. I put a PRS with the Accushot monopod and a MIAD grip onto it and a VTac float tube. 3.5-15x50 NightForce NXS with my favorite hunting reticle the NP1-RR sits in some Larue rings. The barrel is a Bartlein 5R and is 22 inches long. I have a 1.5 pound JARD single stage inside to round things out. This thing is pure death on the predators and very very few ever get the chance to tell their friends that they escaped. Paint done by yours truly on both of these rifles shown

Coyote rifle number 2
WhizzerRightSideFull.jpg

This one is an AR15 in the 243 WSSM caliber ( Whizzer ). It has a 24 inch long SUM barrel. I put a 5.5-22x56 NXS up top in some Leupy Mark 4 rings. This scope also has my favorite hunting reticle of the NightForces which is the NP1-RR. This scope was previously on my 6mm SPC, but I swapped them out since the 243 WSSM is a better distance gun than is the 6mm SPC.

Stock is a MagPul PRS and the grip is an Ergo. It has a 1.5 pound JARD trigger inside. This rifle can roll up a coyote as far as you can see a coyote and is my goto rifle when distances get longer or winds are blowing a bit more than usual or I just feel like really putting the thump on a coyote. We all have those days

I'll mark this spot for later..........

As soon as I get a camera,I'll post up a pic of my stiller 223ai.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Coyote rifle number 2
WhizzerRightSideFull.jpg

</div></div>

Sickest f*ckin camo pattern I've seen. That rifle deserves bore cleaner made from gold dust.........

nice rifle ARPredatorHunter. I like it!

Personally I prefer to "freehand" using things from nature, like leaves, twigs, or something else. It's a trick I learned over in Iraq from some of our amazing US Army Snipers there.

This is a 6.5x47L that already has led several coyotes to song dog heaven this year, the longest being a big male at 627yds a couple weeks ago. It's a Defiance action, ABS wrapped Saturn liner barrel @ 24". Manners T5A with the 90% carbon fiber shell & the mini chassis. It has a Leupold Mark4 M5 FFP with TMR recticle. I took this rifle to Wyoming with me in November and it's easy to carry and a dream to shoot.

I need to get ARPredHunter to paint it up for me with that skull camo.

1b89f2eb.jpg

^^^ man Trevor, that is a nice rifle! We need to hook up and kill some dogs. My 6.5 will be done this week.

Remington Predator 243 w Nikon 4x14 milldot, shooting 75gr Vmax.
IMG_0401.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^ man Trevor, that is a nice rifle! We need to hook up and kill some dogs. My 6.5 will be done this week.</div></div>

Have gun, will travel man!!! Anytime, just say the word.

Any gun within reach!

I usually cary a 22-243 win running 80 amax 3350 fps. It's bad medicine for coyotes.

img0169lw.jpg

OKbow,
Ive never seen a shootin stick setup like that. It is homemade I assume? Looks like a pretty nifty idea if it's easy to adjust if the yote comes in from an unexpected direction.

If you were to go over to the Savage Home Site and look up the Predator Hunter Max I, you'd see mine; it's chambered in the .260 Rem option. It's light enough that my Wife actually commented about the ride it was giving me; I was shooting some relatively peppy 140SMK handloads for 50 shots in the last FV200 match I shot, trying it out.

So, since it's to be mostly a bench rifle, I added some (roughly two handfuls) of buckshot ballast under the extremely effective recoil absorbing butt pad. I'm also going to need to add some cheekweld support and a mirage band setup would help, too. The shot is loose in a plastic bag, and can be removed easily for field work. The soft, thick butt pad is backed by a rigid bulkhead, so it doesn't get distorted when you put some compression into the buckshot.

The zero walks a bit when the barrel gets especially hot (I really got it too hot, too fast, for serious accuracy. I'm going to need to slow down, and maybe download the cartridge some for 200/250yd work, the 140SMK is way overboard for that, too... The HDY 95gr V-Max should be the more proper ticket for this event). Taking one's time, the basic NIB accuracy was just a smidge under 1MOA at 100yd, using an arbitrary handload and no load development.

I will also look into inserting a barrel pressure pad to tame the walk; the barrel is halfway between a sporter and a varminter, so maybe a pad is in order. Easy enough to try.

But for a factory rifle, the gun has potential, and any bad habits look relatively easy to deal with. All up, all the mounts and optics bells and whistles, 50 pcs brass, powder, bullets, primers, tax, etc.; the complete cost was under a grand, and that's a neat pleasure in this day and age.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manners T5A with the 90% carbon fiber shell & the mini chassis.
1b89f2eb.jpg

</div></div>

Dood, that stock is righteous.

[img:left]
350o4gi.jpg
[/img]
remington 700 SA 6MM, not exactly a light carry between the 27 inch Shillen and the HS Precision stock. But its a good one to bring when walks are short and shot will be long. shoots 58gr V-Max's hotter then brimstone and fire

Trevor it ain't nothing but a short drive to bring that rifle over for a paint job.

Here is another of mine with the same stock as yours so you can see what it might look like.

ARPs243R.jpg

ARPs243L.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OKbow87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any gun within reach!

I usually cary a 22-243 win running 80 amax 3350 fps. It's bad medicine for coyotes.

img0169lw.jpg
</div></div>

did you make that bipod setup yourself? if so, where did you find how to do it? that thing looks awesome

novtriple003.jpg

One of my "old reliables"....Surgeon 6XC, S&B 4-16X50 PMII Gen II reticle.

I might have to send this to ARP for a new paint job when I get the barrel set back...it has 1600+ rounds through it and 397 coyotes to it's credit. I shoot 115gr Berger Hunting VLD's at 3000fps.

Here is my Mosin 91/30 that I built into a cheap varmint rifle. Drilled and tapped for the scope mount, cut barrel to 22", cut stock, added pistol grip and recoil pad. Gonna thread the barrel and turn out a muzzle break next.
Been playing with some lighter bullets and it likes 123gr Hornadys and 110gr TTSX's.
I only have $400 total in the whole thing. I will be upgrading the scope soon though.

MosinSnow015.jpg

triple1-29-10002.jpg

Another favorite rifle. Surgeon .308. I dont hunt coyotes with it much anymore, but have learned a lot about shooting long with it over the years...I've taken quite a few coyotes with it and packed it a lot of miles in a drag bag. It's still one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned.

PGS,

Have you used any of the 105 VLD hunting bullets? The BC is only slightly lower than the 115 hunting VLD but you'd be able to push them a bit harder and that should make up for any losses in BC. Or even the 105g Hybrid with a bc of .547

you must be running a 7 twist or so?

xdeano

Trevor and Jack...

Sorry I forgot I had posted in this thread and hadn't checked it in a few days. I made the set myself after using some B.J. at third generation let me use one time. The original design is by a gunsmith out of northwest oklahoma, Mike Lucket. The dimensions are supposedly very important in making them work right. I have them saved if anybody wants to build some.

I like them a lot, they are super super sturdy. You get no left to right movement at all, and the vertical is easy to control. I have shot 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards off of them, which I think is awesome, and steel out to 600 off them with relative ease. The only bad part is they are super slow to set up and move around when a coyote is coming in. I much prefer another pair that is just a regular set of shooting sticks a buddy of mine made out of some graphite sticks for calling coyotes.

I typically use these sticks for matches where I may have to shoot small targets far away, or when I go deer hunting and will typically have more time to get set up for a longer shot.

I have a similar design, only mine are made out of fiberglass electric fence poles. There are a lot of electric fencers around here, it works very well for crossing them as the electric fence doesn't ground through the fiberglass. I typically use them as regular sticks, but occasionally deploy the extra support for shooting in taller grass and snow.

They're easy to make.

xdeano

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
triple1-29-10002.jpg

</div></div>

Pat has to show up and make us all feel inadequate with all his sweet ass pictures
grin.gif
Jealousy is an awful thing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my Mosin 91/30 that I built into a cheap varmint rifle. Drilled and tapped for the scope mount, cut barrel to 22", cut stock, added pistol grip and recoil pad. Gonna thread the barrel and turn out a muzzle break next.
Been playing with some lighter bullets and it likes 123gr Hornadys and 110gr TTSX's.
I only have $400 total in the whole thing. I will be upgrading the scope soon though.

MosinSnow015.jpg

</div></div>

i always check in on this thread to see if there any new pics. Ive seen this post before. Just realized theres a gun in the picture…
grin.gif