• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Preferences on Rock Creek or Brux

diggler1833

World's Okayest Rancher and Hog Hunter
Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2007
    Oklahoma
    After search-fu'ing for a while, I am still left with some questions. I have managed to find both a Rock Creek and Brux blank in stock for a build I want. So taking out the other highly-qualified barrel manufacturers because I'd have to wait on a lead time...which would you choose of the two? ***I am sure that both will shoot excellent / I also do not want another button-rifled barrel***

-Rifle will be another .260, 25" barrel length
    -Plan on informal target shooting and hunting as 95% of what the rifle is going to do
    -Highly doubtful that I'll ever shoot any kind of match with it, but I also want the possibility of getting on the 1000yd line and know that when I walk off dead last that it was all on me
    -Anyone ever have a dud that could actually be contributed to the barrel?

Opinions?

You'll never shoot the difference in my opinion. The major barrel makers are all relatively equal on quality of product. I shoot regularly, 6-800 rounds a year, and I can't tell the difference between Shilen,krieger, and my Brux barreled guns. Get the one cheapest and most readily available to you and shoot lights out. Both are very good picks. Happy shooting

I've shot both and you won't be able to tell the difference accuracy wise, however Rocks always seem to be faster, at least in my experiences. A builder did confide in me one time he doesn't care to use Brux because the exterior finish is usually a good bit rougher and creates a fair amount more work to prep before coating.

I dont think you could do wrong with any of the cut-rifleing barrel makers. I've never seen an issue with one, properly chambers and installed.

I just beat myself about the head about 30 times over this so far today. 6 one way, half-dozen the other. Went with the Brux finally because I preferred the contour (M40) over the available Rock Creek (AMU). Price including shipping was the exact same.

The Manners Vs. McMillan stock decision is going to be so much worse because I've actually owned both and can't decide on one.

Ain't life grand.

Thanks for the input and help!

Make it simple on the stock and flip a coin and go with it. Heads Manners and tail Manners and you are done!

for informal get what's available, if you want more precision I'd go with the BRUX, superior quality. All best dogdude

This was brought up the other day and at that time Bartlein Barrels had some .260 in stock and Bugholes.com has some .260 a Barrels in stock. I believe recalling all Bartlein had was 10 twist while bugholes had the 8 twist. Not sure if you we're settle on RC or Bruxelles, but a lot of good chatter on the Bartlein cut barrels. Good luck either way.

There were some Bartleins and Kriegers also available in the M40 contour in a couple of places, but everyone of them was a 1:8.5 twist. I intend on shooting primarily 140gr stuff.

Let me clearly state that I am a fan of Brux barrels! I currently have 3 and no doubt will own more. I have .224 barrel that my smith claimed was the truest barrel he had ever put in his lathe, who knows?

With all of that being said I would not hesitate for one minute in purchasing a Rock or Bartlien or Krieger, etc. They all seem to be well built.

There were some Bartleins and Kriegers also available in the M40 contour in a couple of places, but everyone of them was a 1:8.5 twist. I intend on shooting primarily 140gr stuff.

I've got three rifles built in .260 Rem. and they are 1-8.5 twist. All shoot great. You don't need a 1-8 twist. Won't hurt you but won't give you anything extra either.

1-8.5 twist is most popular, then 1-8 twist barrels then barrels with like a 1-8.2/8.25 twist are next in terms of what we sell.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

I've got three rifles built in .260 Rem. and they are 1-8.5 twist. All shoot great. You don't need a 1-8 twist. Won't hurt you but won't give you anything extra either.

1-8.5 twist is most popular, then 1-8 twist barrels then barrels with like a 1-8.2/8.25 twist are next in terms of what we sell.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

I agree, alot of people get hung up on the twist rates and while it is wise to do your homework and ensure you have the proper twist rate the 140's out of a 1-8.5 twist hammers and always has in the rifles I've shot or seen. Boots Obermeyer had a write up one time on the debate on the 8 or 8.5 twist for the 6.5/.260, it was very intresting, If I find it Ill post a link.