• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Preferred muzzle device?

ianb1116

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2018
Hi all,

I've got a Remington 700 5r in .308 that I'm looking to throw a brake on. I'm currently in DE so suppressors are unfortunately not an option until I move elsewhere (coming soon!). In the mean time, I'm looking for opinions on a decent brake and/or flash hider that tames recoil without punching your range buddy in the face with the concussion. Self-timing is a plus. I've got a Lambda PRS on my Tikka Tac A1 in 6.5 and it seems to do pretty well. All of the metal components are cerakoted OD green (minus the jeweled bolt). Would you go with stainless or nitride?

Photo of rifle in question

Parts:
Remington 700 5r .308, 20"
Timney flat trigger (510?)
KRG bolt lift
Nightforce 20MOA base
Badger rings
Vortex PST gen 1 2.5-10x44
bedded in a Grayboe Renegade

I love my PVA Jet Blasts, but not sure any good brake won't be obnoxious to your neighbors. And black...

Reactions: ianb1116
I really liked the APA lil bastard second gen I had. I now have an area419 hellfire which I have not shot yet but just by its size and way of installing, I don't like it as much. I'd go APA.

Big fan of the PVA Jet Blast when not shooting suppressed. The APA lil bastard is also a great choice. Have not shot a 419 personally. Pretty much no matter what you choose, any effective modern brake is going to be obnoxious to your neighbor.

The Precision Armaments EFAB sacrifices some brake performance for excellent concussion reduction - it’s better than a bare muzzle.

The Insite Arms Heathen is growing on me; it’s about as effective a brake as you can have without awful concussion.

I did a bunch of research when I recently bought one for my FN SPR. There’s several good threads in self timing brakes on the hide. I read all I could find

Came up with the PVA Jet Blast as my choice. Based on reported effectiveness, blast felt by shooter and being able to wrench it off if the brake gets carbon locked.

I wanted faster follow up shots and the ability to spot shots by controlling muzzle jump. That said I generally shoot suppressed

I would say if you’re planning on moving soon, figure out what can you want and buy the QD muzzle device for that can.

Insite Arms Heathen, good recoil reduction with less concussion to the shooter. Had an Area 419 Hellfire, good recoil reduction, but more blast or concussion back at the shooter. All do there job, some are just a little bit less Blasty, if that makes sense.

Reactions: kthomas
my favorate so far is one i have seen at the range it has 3 ports per side and they are large enough to put a brush through one and go clean through to the other side for easy cleaning , though now that I am using clr my fat bastard is pretty simple to clean I still can't get the brush in the grooves all that easy also anything that can push that much wind to either side of me keeping me further from other people has to be a good thing .

I have an efab on an ar-10 and i can compare it to a standard brake. 80% of the braking of a conventional brake without the backblast or sounds increase with the added benefit of flash suppression. A good overall muzzle device if you had to use the rifle for hunting or anything away from the range i would think. I have not used mine anywhere but the range yet, but plan to introduce it to hogs at some point. Had to buy a accuwasher set to time it, but other than that easy to install.

Reactions: gnochi
Hi all,

I've got a Remington 700 5r in .308 that I'm looking to throw a brake on. I'm currently in DE so suppressors are unfortunately not an option until I move elsewhere (coming soon!). In the mean time, I'm looking for opinions on a decent brake and/or flash hider that tames recoil without punching your range buddy in the face with the concussion. Self-timing is a plus. I've got a Lambda PRS on my Tikka Tac A1 in 6.5 and it seems to do pretty well. All of the metal components are cerakoted OD green (minus the jeweled bolt). Would you go with stainless or nitride?

Photo of rifle in question

Parts:
Remington 700 5r .308, 20"
Timney flat trigger (510?)
KRG bolt lift
Nightforce 20MOA base
Badger rings
Vortex PST gen 1 2.5-10x44
bedded in a Grayboe Renegade

I went in a slightly different direction on my 5R SS with 20" barrel. Not self-timing but I put a Harrel's steel side port (he calls the "tactical" vice "radial") brake. Doesn't cost much (not sure I understand the high cost of some big name brakes) and I had a gunsmith turn it down to match barrel contour and we then Cerekoted it to match the barrel.

It works well and looks slick.