• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Preferred Pistol Sight Picture

Preferred Pistol Sight Picture

• 6 o'clock - Sight Image 1

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Center mass - Sight Image 2

Votes: 53 70.7%
  • Sight Image 3

Votes: 12 16.0%

• Total voters

AvsFan

Minuteman
Oct 2, 2011
Colorado
Gent's,

Just curious to see what everybody prefers and why? I personally use center mass - however, I'm thinking about modifying to see if I can obtain betters results. Also, I've never seen or, heard of anyone utilizing the "Sight Image 3"...definitely different. The 6 o'clock and center mass are the only two I've experimented with.

Thanks!

AvsFan:confused:

sightimages.jpg

The six or sub six hold is preferred due to the increased contrast when using irons on paper. My preference as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Image 3 is unfortunately what sigs and a lot of pistol companies set there sights as. I prefer 2. It allows you to see the target and not have to cover it and put the round right on top of the blade. It seems to be the fastest.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I like image 2. Easiest to be precise with IME. Have shot plenty of guns that are number 3 though. All well and good for defensive use but I'm not a fan of it for shooting paper or at a distance.

I'm a #2 guy in the examples given by OP. For me it's the mental connection of "dot on target - BOOM!" I understand the #1 sight pic for bullseye shooters and all iron(no white dots) in the sights. #3 would be a trip to asylum to get used to it. NOT saying it's bad, in the end, it's how you train.

-G45

I've always shot #2 or #3. Top of sights or dots line up to x, bang. Just thinking out loud here, but #1 seems less accurate in my mind unless you know the exact hold below "x" to aim at any given target. In this example if the outter ring is bigger than what your sights are calibrated for, would miss your mark. Seems like it would make sense for a pure target/competition gun where you're shooting at known distances on targets with known dimensions. That way you can see the whole target and make sure your sight aligment is perfect. But unless you have an aim point built into the target, not sure how you get your elevation properly aligned.

I prefer #3. All I'm really doing is using the Front Dot as my Aimpoint, and since I use and Prefer Aimpoints, I guess it just seems natural to me.

I used to do method #2 and just found I am better doing it the #3 way. To each his own.

You have to see and decide what works best for You.

I prefer #2. I've shot Both #2 and #3 quite a bit. But, I've shot #2 style sights the most and it's what seems to work the best for me.

#2 or #3 — it's all a matter of what works with what you're shooting. Hold one way, hold the other, observe results, and adjust accordingly. In "actual" use, the goal is to achieve the cessation of danger, not to keenly observe the precise location of POI. IOW, sometimes it's better to "shoot for groups."

#1 should be used for NRA type target shooting,
#2 is my preferred sight picture along with a high chest hold for IDPA competition and personal defense,
#3 is best when the manufacturer regulates the sights for the dots instead of the top of front sight
#'s 2 & 3 are what people should use for personal defense based on their preference, at combat shooting distances the difference in POI won't matter.

#2 if I have a pistol with plain black sights. None of the above if I have anything in the front sight. If I have a dot of any sort, then the dot covers the target and the dot is bisected by the plain of the top of the other two sights.

#2 with my Sig. I pretty much ignore the post/dot, and it hits dead center.

#1 is for slow bullseye shooters
#2 is for all fast shooting
#3 is for flinchers.
Cheers

Agree, lol. I like my sights and bullets in the same spot. Other than night sights I have no use for dots.

#1 is for slow bullseye shooters
#2 is for all fast shooting
#3 is for flinchers.
Cheers

How did you arrive at #3? I'm genuinely interested on hearing you out... I may learn something.

Simple, flinchers anticipate recoil by pulling the muzzle down just before the pistol recoil thus hitting low, by aiming higher, the flincher will hit closer to where he should be aiming.
It was meant as a joke by the way and I just pulled that out of you know where.
Cheers

I prefer the #2. When I first started shooting handguns I was using the #3, I suppose that was intuitive for me - put the sights where you want the bullet to hit. Once I started to really focus on the front sight, it started to make a lot more sense to use the #2 sight picture, as stated it allows you to see your target and your sights.

Never have been able to get on board with the 6 o'clock hold, it is just too ambiguous for me to be comfortable with.

I prefer #3. And if I feel like really cheating, I put ghost ring sights on my pistol. Can't be beat for fast close shooting....

Each have their place.

#1: six o' clock hold. Most precise so is often the choice of bullseye shooters but only effective with known distance and consistent target sizes. Gives a white backdrop to the black sights so he front sight is clearer due to contrast. Because of the many variables, you need adjustable sights to make this work. Some target shooters prefer the sub-six hold with a small line of white visible between the top of the front sight and the black bullseye.

#2: center hold is where point of aim with the top edge of the front sight equals point of impact. Focusing on the top edge of the front sight and placing the fs were you want the bullet to hit takes the guesswork out of estimating elevation and is perfectly fine for most situations. Though there are exceptions as others mentioned but most manufacturers, if they even bother to regulate handgun sights, us this at 10 to 25 yards.

#3: cover hold. It's difficult to hit your target if it is obscured. For close range, large targets or in low light, it's acceptable to line up dots or night sights, but the accuracy is just not there.

Each has their place, but I prefer #2.

#1: six o' clock hold. Most precise so is often the choice of bullseye shooters but only effective with known distance and consistent target sizes. Gives a white backdrop to the black sights so he front sight is clearer due to contrast. Because of the many variables, you need adjustable sights to make this work. Some target shooters prefer the sub-six hold with a small line of white visible between the top of the front sight and the black bullseye.

I agree that in Bullseye shooting, it gives a white backdrop and therefore an easier sight picture, but that does not make it any more precise. Some Bullseye shooters, but not all prefer this method.

I let a friend on mine shoot an M&P of mine suppressed. He is used to the cover hold and kept complaining that the suppressor was covering up the target. I kept telling him that the sights just cleared the suppressor. We argued about it for a while, and he finally understood that he was shooting the pistol differently than I had set it up.

I used to work for a gun shop right down the street from trijicon. They came in with an early version of the RMR circa 2008-2009 to do high volume shooting tests. I got to play with it a bit. It is definitely on my short list of things to have.

I used to work for a gun shop right down the street from trijicon. They came in with an early version of the RMR circa 2008-2009 to do high volume shooting tests. I got to play with it a bit. It is definitely on my short list of things to have.
What does that have to do with the topic of this Thread?

Graham,

You are correct, I got a little reminiscent when I saw the RMR on the glock in the previous previous post and get carried away. Sorry for the unintended rail road job. #3 is still the way to go for me!!

Preferred Pistol Sight Picture

My vote is with #5, which I use but has not yet been presented here:

It is point of impact one bullet diameter above the top of the front sight post.

sight picture #1 is strictly bullseye target shooting for a better "anchor" point for front sight. the same goes for rifle and open sights. I prefer #2 because I shoot at small targets and want my bullet to hit exactly where the sight is pointed.

Last edited:
I've shot a lot of pistol and use a combination of 2 & 3 depending on the distances and targets.

With the way my pistols are setup, option 3 is the way to go. I've found it is by far the easiest with rapid multiple target engagements as if focused mainly on that front post the other dots begin to go out of focus. Put that dot where you want to aim and fire, it's there every time. Only time I do not like engaging targets with this style is at distances of 35 or more yards as it does obscure too much of the target for a precision shot.

Although I want my pistol to hit where I aim it, I realize that for some types of shooting, the "Navy hold" (sight picture #1) does give greater precision. However, that is for match shooting. In most high power rifle shooting, the navy hold gets most shooters a better score. However for a fighting pistol, I want the bullet to go where the sights are aimed.

#2. Why in the hell would anyone want to use #3?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Because a lot of guns come set-up for that hold from the factory... sig... HK... just to name a couple.

Sig academy likes it a lot so every sig comes that way. Draw, dot on center mass, squeeze. They find it fast for center of mass hits and easy to learn. A lot of people like it. I don't but it works.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk