• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Premier 5-25 or Kahles 6-24 MSR question?

vonbalkenbush

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Can anyone comment on the usability of the Gen 2 Kahles 6-24 with the newer MSR reticle in it in the lower power ranges? Say 8x-12x? I love everything about the Premier, I even like the Gen II XR, my only complaint is I really feel the usefulness of the reticle ends at about 12x. I've heard great things about the Kahles and if it is the optical equal of the Premier which most people are saying it is, I'm really curious about the thickness (usability) of the MSR at lower powers as I really like that reticle. First hand knowledge and opinions are very much appreciated.

-VB

Can anyone comment on the usability of the Gen 2 Kahles 6-24 with the newer MSR reticle in it in the lower power ranges? Say 8x-12x? I love everything about the Premier, I even like the Gen II XR, my only complaint is I really feel the usefulness of the reticle ends at about 12x. I've heard great things about the Kahles and if it is the optical equal of the Premier which most people are saying it is, I'm really curious about the thickness (usability) of the MSR at lower powers as I really like that reticle. First hand knowledge and opinions are very much appreciated.

-VB

Dont have a ton of experience, but I can say this; the MSR is awesome, at lower mag the .5 and .2's on the reticle seems to me would be quite useful, and at the higher mag, the square to the side would be better. Optical quality being about equal to my eye, I'd take the MSR over the XR all day.

The two optics in question are a couple of the finest optics in production today. Optically it is a wash...both are superb. Prior to Khales release of its Gen II version of the 6-24x56, Premier was noticeably better optically. Khales really stepped it up with the Gen II. The new MSR in this scope addressed the thickness of the reticle and revamped it (my complaint about the MSR is reticle is too thick...my opinion). Khales now offers an incredible product at a reasonable price as compared to some of the other >$3,000 optics.

I have a few Premier 5-25 with Gen II XR. I actually prefer this ret over the MSR. In fact I prefer the Premier as a whole over the Khales. Either direction you go on this will be the correct one. There is no wrong answer here.

I own a Kahles mil4 and a Premier XR. My take is that the Premier has a much more forgiving eye box and eye relief.

Glass on the Premier and Kahles are equal and they both have very nice turrets. Sorry I can't comment on the Kahles MSR.

Kahles does do a good job with very fine reticles and at lower mag my mil4 does get lost.

I own a Kahles mil4 and a Premier XR. My take is that the Premier has a much more forgiving eye box and eye relief.

Glass on the Premier and Kahles are equal and they both have very nice turrets. Sorry I can't comment on the Kahles MSR.

Kahles does do a good job with very fine reticles and at lower mag my mil4 does get lost.

That's funny, because I've always heard that the Kahles eyebox was second only to Hensoldt. Once again it is proved that choosing a top end scope is extremely subjective to say the least.

That's funny, because I've always heard that the Kahles eyebox was second only to Hensoldt. Once again it is proved that choosing a top end scope is extremely subjective to say the least.

I wouldn't know about Hensholt. But of all my scopes the Kahles eye box is the least friendly at upper magnification. That said its not too bad.

I probably should have been more explicit in my OP. I already own, and have been running a Premier 5-25 Gen II XR for almost 2.5 years now. Have about 3k rounds behind it. I guess the consensus is the two scopes are a wash. I was hoping some more folks would chime in about the MSR in the Kahles and convince me it's way better than the Gen II XR, but it seems most of you guys are saying they're pretty much equal and it's a user preference thing. Wish I could get some time behind a Kahles with the MSR... boo hoo....

-VB

Kahles is much better scope than premier both mechanically and optically. No contest as to what scope to get. The kahles was lacking reticle options but with the msr is now available and its one if the best reticles to use.

Kahles is much better scope than premier both mechanically and optically. No contest as to what scope to get. The kahles was lacking reticle options but with the msr is now available and its one if the best reticles to use.

Now that's what I'm talking about! Sweet! I'm gonna put my Premier up in the FS section and get myself a Kahles! who's with me!??

Wow, everyone is in titled to their opinion that's true and I just happen to disagree