• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Premier 5-25 vs. USO 5-25

strike33

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2012
Fort Leonard Wood, MO
I need some help, My STS M24E3 in .300 WM mag will be done shortly and I need some glass.
I found 2 great deals and I need some advice...
Both are NIB:
Premier Heritage 5-25x56 GEN2 XR DT MTC CW (this is the erlier version before they added the parralax reference)
or
USO 5-25x58 T-pal RDPMOA Erek 1/4 MOA, M40 #3 1/4 MOA, Digital green Illumination, internal bubble level. This also comes with teh sunshade ARD and a set of rings.

Both are right around 3,000...
what are your recommendations?
Thanks much

Re: Premier 5-25 vs. USO 5-25

Having owned scopes made by both companies, I like the glass in the Premier MUCH BETTER, but US Optics looks to be a stronger company. And USO has great customer service.

With all the woes that Premier has/is going through, not sure how much longer Premier will be around. And if they do go under, who will do their warrenty work?

Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware of the issues. Sure wouldn't want to spend that kind of money and not have anyone around to fix/service it. Thanks again

The Premier is a much better scope in my opinion.
As already pointed out USO appears to be the stronger company at this point.
In the $3000 dollar range I'd sure be looking at a Schmidt & Bender 5-25 though...

I paid $2,600 for a NIB Premier with Parallax markings. So shop around. Of the two I like the glass in my Premier better than my USO.

If I could find an S&B 5-25 for 3,000 I would jump on it.
Is the glass/ clarity difference that significate? I was also looking at the new Steiners as well.
Thanks for the info

There are S&B 5-25 for sale all the time here on SH. If you don't see one today just wait a couple of days and somebody will post one up. Or go to the WTB(Want to Buy) section and post what you are looking for. I just bought a S&B 5-25 with the MSR Reticle(more expensive reticle) for $3000 last week from a Hide member....

And there is a 5-25x USO in FS section for $2600.

I have purchased two high-end optics from the FS section here and both have been like new and I saved huge dollars over list. You do have to be patient and continue looking there for what you want.

I do have a 5-25 USO nearly exactly same as your setup and its a great optic. Love it and my only issues is that I don't get to shoot it enough (damn office work!). No experience with the Premier.

I have a USO 5-25 and it is bomb proof. You said you would rather buy from someone here than elsewhere......... Then by an American made USO.

I have the last PR 5-25 made without paralax markings, it has been a good scope and if the price was right I'd buy another, MIL/MIL on the PR also stands out between the two scopes, I own a all MOA NF, but I vastly perfer MIL/MIL so the USO would be a no go for me.

I have both scopes, and currently my USO is on my 22 trainer while my Premier is on my match rifle.

The Premier has the advantage, in my opinion, in optical clarity, simplicity of operation (the EREK knob on USOs is a good system but can be confusing when starting out), and surprisingly durability. I have never had an issue with my Premiers (I've owned 4), but I have had several with my USOs (I've owned 4 of these as well).

USO's customer service is great. I been to the shop in Brea where they gave me a tour of the place, which was really neat to see, but Premier's customer service is as good or better than any company I've dealt with.

I don't know what's going on with Premier as a company, but I love their product and I'm going to stick with it.

I hope you are happy with whichever scope you chose. Best of luck.

-Cory

you should by a USO scope from Lazy21
wink.gif
, I'll get you a scope to your exact specs. Let me know

Meh, this is what I shot sighting in my Premier 3-15 and doing a up/down elevation test of the full range of mils

21evju1.jpg

not bad considering it's one of the 'demon' scopes from the first run. Premier's customer service is as good as you could want it to be and there's nothing to suggest the company's going anywhere from where it is today. It's owned by a large firm, it's being made by a top class facility in Germany and is being supported in the US by Paul who everyone says does a first rate job.

Oh - and the glass is better too...

I've had everyone who've I've asked and who's had a USO tell me that they're nice and all, but...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukdave28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would USO be no good, They make a ton of MIL/MIL scopes </div></div>

The OP found a deal on two different scopes, the USO is MOA, I never said or do I think USO scopes are no good, just gave my opinion on the 2.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strike33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need some help, My STS M24E3 in .300 WM mag will be done shortly and I need some glass.
I found 2 great deals and I need some advice...
Both are NIB:
Premier Heritage 5-25x56 GEN2 XR DT MTC CW (this is the erlier version before they added the parralax reference)
or
USO 5-25x58 T-pal RDPMOA Erek 1/4 MOA, M40 #3 1/4 MOA, Digital green Illumination, internal bubble level. This also comes with teh sunshade ARD and a set of rings.

Both are right around 3,000...
what are your recommendations?
Thanks much </div></div>

Between the 2 choices I would opt for the Premier as it has nearly twice the elevation adjustment of the USO, has top notch glass, is lighter, it is shorter in length, it is mil/mil, better Illumination, and mtc turrets.

[/quote]

Between the 2 choices I would opt for the Premier as it has nearly twice the elevation adjustment of the USO, has top notch glass, is lighter, it is shorter in length, it is mil/mil, better Illumination, and mtc turrets. [/quote]

I thought USO designed the MTC knobs
smile.gif
and they do MIL/MIL all day long. My biggest concern would be CS in a few months. After all do you have any idea how much of a nightmare it is shipping to Canada.

As for twice the elevation , What are you shooting.... The MOON !

Guess its down to personal choice, I would just like to see more people spend their money here in the US.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having owned scopes made by both companies, I like the glass in the Premier MUCH BETTER, but US Optics looks to be a stronger company. And USO has great customer service.

With all the woes that Premier has/is going through, not sure how much longer Premier will be around. And if they do go under, who will do their warrenty work? </div></div>

Agree ^ and for the price you're willing to pay if I were you I would look for an S&B.

I have the Premier and it is aaaamazing, and built like a tank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having owned scopes made by both companies, I like the glass in the Premier MUCH BETTER, but US Optics looks to be a stronger company. And USO has great customer service.

With all the woes that Premier has/is going through, not sure how much longer Premier will be around. And if they do go under, who will do their warrenty work? </div></div>

To what woes are you referring to? I recently purchased nice used Premier Heritage 5-25x56 from a well known Hide member.

When I received the scope I mounted it and went to the range to shoot it and it was broken right out of out of the box. I was pretty pissed off about it but I did not worry about servicing the scope. I called the Premier customer service line talked to Paul and was told to send it in and it would be repaired for free. I over-nighted the scope to their repair facility and had the repaired scope back in my hands within 10 days. Works perfectly. Interestingly Paul told me that any existing scopes would be maintained per the warranty even if Premier gets sold. He has a contract to provide service indefinitely no matter what happens to the company.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ranger1183 said:
Interestingly Paul told me that any existing scopes would be maintained per the warranty even if Premier gets sold. He has a contract to provide service indefinitely no matter what happens to the company.

</div></div>

"<span style="font-weight: bold">He</span>" has a contract to provide service "<span style="font-weight: bold">indefinitely</span>" "<span style="font-weight: bold">no matter what happens to the company</span>"????

So let me get this straight. Your Premier goes TU, you send it to Paul, and all is well. Fine. But, what happens when (God forbid)

1) Paul gets hit by a truck
2) Paul has a heart attack
3) Paul decides to move to Tibet and become a Buddhist monk...

Then what, Spanky?

Assuming Paul lives to a ripe old age, nothing here supports the assertion that your Premier service is guaranteed "indefinitely", when it hinges on the fate of one man.

Seriously, has it come down to this?

Meanwhile, USO has a bustling home grown facility with about, what, 40 employees? And a visionary management team with a plan and resources to thrive into the 21st century?

What am I missing here?

If what I'm reading here is true, then, whoever says Premier is the safer choice, well, I think you're out of your mind.

ranger1183's comment is spot on. Put on your thinking caps, fellas. Times change, look at the evidence, and make intelligent decisions for the long term. Premier was always a great product for us, back in the day. But if all that stands between you and a $3000 paperweight is one human being, well, your risk tolerance is way higher than mine.

Scott

I agree with Scott. I also don't think anyone is saying Premier doesn't make a pretty decent scope and the glass is definitely top notch. It's just their future is fuzzy to say the least. It's your money and you're more then welcome to spend it anyway you want. As far as Paul having an indefinite contract something tells me once he stops receiving checks from "whoever" cuts his checks that indefinite service will end abruptly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ranger1183 said:
Interestingly Paul told me that any existing scopes would be maintained per the warranty even if Premier gets sold. He has a contract to provide service indefinitely no matter what happens to the company.

</div></div>

"<span style="font-weight: bold">He</span>" has a contract to provide service "<span style="font-weight: bold">indefinitely</span>" "<span style="font-weight: bold">no matter what happens to the company</span>"????

So let me get this straight. Your Premier goes TU, you send it to Paul, and all is well. Fine. But, what happens when (God forbid)

1) Paul gets hit by a truck
2) Paul has a heart attack
3) Paul decides to move to Tibet and become a Buddhist monk...

Then what, Spanky?

Assuming Paul lives to a ripe old age, nothing here supports the assertion that your Premier service is guaranteed "indefinitely", when it hinges on the fate of one man.

Seriously, has it come down to this?

Meanwhile, USO has a bustling home grown facility with about, what, 40 employees? And a visionary management team with a plan and resources to thrive into the 21st century?

What am I missing here?

If what I'm reading here is true, then, whoever says Premier is the safer choice, well, I think you're out of your mind.

ranger1183's comment is spot on. Put on your thinking caps, fellas. Times change, look at the evidence, and make intelligent decisions for the long term. Premier was always a great product for us, back in the day. But if all that stands between you and a $3000 paperweight is one human being, well, your risk tolerance is way higher than mine.

Scott
</div></div>

Scott,

I've purchased from you and you have always been a standup guy. What happened between you and Premier to make you so down on them? I live in SoCal and have been to USO's shop and seen the people there firsthand. I have used and seen several USO scopes and in my experience USO's scopes are simply mot not as good as Premier's and nowhere near what could be called consistent in quality. I don't want to have to order and wait for a scope only to have it show up and not be as clear as the one I saw at a show of have dirt on the reticle or any of the many other issues I've have seen and heard about with USO scopes. Just been my experience that USO scopes are not quite as good as they could be as often as they should be.

Premier's website is gone....have they officially sold out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rem7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Premier's website is gone....have they officially sold out? </div></div>

Works just fine for me.

I've been having the same issues with the site. If I go the the homepage it only half loads, but going direct to the products page seems to work fine...

If it were me I would go with the USO! I have 2 and love them both! The internal level is amazing and i think it has given me an edge at my tactical matches. I could not be happier with my uso scopes. I would like a little more elevation adjustment though. The only other scope I want to try some day is a s&b.

I was just about to pull the trigger on the premier (being that its only 2,700) but I'm feeling less and less confident.

Looks like its back to ordering the USO.

Anyone laid eyes on the Steiner?

Thanks to everyone for the input and advice.
Decided to order a USO through LUCKY21 (very greteful for all the assistance)

5-25x58 Tpal
Erek 110 click
M40 #3 windage stop
RDP-MIL
digital ill (blue)
35mm tube

Now I just have to wait for SPUHR's 35mm T-Pal ISMS to coem out in a couple weeks

thanks again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strike33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks to everyone for the input and advice.

5-25x58 Tpal
Erek 110 click
M40 #3 windage stop
RDP-MIL
digital ill (blue)
35mm tube

Now I just have to wait for SPUHR's 35mm T-Pal ISMS to coem out in a couple weeks

thanks again </div></div>

nice setup. congrats on the new piece of kit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strike33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks to everyone for the input and advice.

5-25x58 Tpal
Erek 110 click
M40 #3 windage stop
RDP-MIL
digital ill (blue)
35mm tube

thanks again </div></div>

Good choice.
I've written a bit about my Premier/USO experience, and my Premier 5-25 got traded for a USO 5-25.

If someone does want to buy a Premier, if one does not buy used one should definitely use Liberty Optics

i have the premier heritage, and it's heavy!!!! i like the scope. I don't have USO so i dont know, but im sure you will be happy with both.