• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Premier Gen II XR reticle

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2008
    South Dakota, USA
    www.primalrights.com
    Anyone have a "through the scope" shot of the Gen II XR reticle.

Mil/Mil FFP 5-25x56 might be calling my name... but I have fallen so in love with the reticles that have an open center... such as the vortex EBR-2.

Does the Gen II XR have an open center?

Oh, and is there a video of lowlight blowing one of these up with tannerite? I so enjoy watching that.
    smile.gif

Re: Premier Gen II XR reticle

So its solid then. You know this because you have one personally, or know for SURE?

My razor was solid in the manual, and on the website... but it was NOT so in the real world. Just want to know for sure.
    smile.gif

the XR is solid in the center. I had one in a 3-15. it's a touch fine on the lower side in the 3-15.

HTH,
    LM

I own a PRH 5-25 g2xr, I'll give you some shots tomara!

Our video has a shot of the reticle around 3:25 (and when it's illuminated; around 4:30):

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YK19des7CYM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YK19des7CYM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Why is the .5 mil hash's long, and the 1mil hash's short?

Seems to be completely opposite compared to every other reticle I've seen. My first impression is that I do not like it. Am I missing something?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is the .5 mil hash's long, and the 1mil hash's short?

Seems to be completely opposite compared to every other reticle I've seen. My first impression is that I do not like it. Am I missing something? </div></div>

No. You got it right. That was my initial criticism with this otherwise fine reticle. It's based on the original Gen II Mildot, which is why the dots are the full mil marks and the hash marks are the .5 mil markings. I personally would have preferred all hash marks instead.

I had questions to begin with about the dot at 1 mil and hash at .5, but it makes since when you use it and I find it fast to pick out the .5 versus the 1 mil... I would like to see the numbers a touch larger, but they work.

Not sure this turned out as well as I would have liked.

GenXL1.jpg

Good reticle and I had reservations about the small mildots, but it is easy to use once you get used to it.
    My biggest complaint is that I wished the windage/lead holds were on every major mil (just 'cause my 308 is 3 mils at 500yds, and that's a common distance for matches to have movers at).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know this because you have one personally, or know for SURE?
    </div></div>
    Had one personally and it is fo sho solid in the center.

Folks can say anything they want about Premier, but their paperwork matches their reticles 100%!

The hashes at and dots seem a little backwards on paper, but in practice, they work great. I actually don't even notice any wierdness.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The hashes at and dots seem a little backwards on paper, but in practice, they work great. I actually don't even notice any wierdness. </div></div>

That is reassuring. This was really my only reservation about this scope. I hope some dumb shit wouldn't get up in my melon screwing up my range calls.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is the .5 mil hash's long, and the 1mil hash's short?</div></div>
    No offense, but WTF are you talking about? On the Gen 2 XR full MILs' are either dots or hashmarks, and all hashmarks representing full MILs' are longer than the .5 MIL hashmarks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems to be completely opposite compared to every other reticle I've seen. My first impression is that I do not like it. Am I missing something?</div></div>
    Seems to make perfect sense to me, as the basic layout of dots at full MILs (on the majority of the reticle) is preserved. A dot denotes a full MIL and a short hash mark denotes a .5 MIL.

For consistency, I do wish that there were dots all the way down the vertical, as there are long hashes instead of dots at "6", "7", "8", and "9" MILs'. The substitution of hash marks for "MIL" dots at "6" and "8" doesn't really bother me because there are numbers right there, but like said consistency would have been nice.

The long hashes at "7" and "9" MILs' are a different story for me though. Because of the fineness of the reticle having hash marks at both full and half MIL without numbers makes me do a doubletake sometimes, and is really the only part of the Gen 2 XR that sort of throws me.

Still, IMHO the Gen 2 XR is one of the best, most versatile reticles ever designed.

Keith

Fucksake... unwad your panties.

I was simply commenting on how I'd rather see hashes all around, rather than the mix of hash's and dots. Coming from other reticles that are either all hash's or all dots, and in the case of the hash's the long hash is always the 1 mil marker, and the half hash is always .5 mil. THAT is WTF I'm talking about.

I'm not saying I dislike the reticle, as I haven't even received the scope yet to get a first hand account of it.

Thanks for your opinion... but relax... and don't act like the reticle follows industry standards... because it DOESN'T. Not that its a bad thing. I'll find out in a few days whether its for me or not.

It works well, but I see what youre saying about the shorter line/dot usually meaning .5 increment. Start by looking at it and only focusing on the dots and treat it like a mil-dot mentally. Then if you need, say 1.7mil, use the hash line after the first dot to help find it easier.

Once youre used to it, it really works well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fucksake... unwad your panties.</div></div>
    Seems like you need to follow your own suggestion. Maybe if you chill-out you'll be able to think less rigidly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was simply commenting on how I'd rather see hashes all around, rather than the mix of hash's and dots.</div></div>
    Well, if you want hashes all around and MIL/MIL you can always get a USO with a GAP, Canadian, or MPR reticle. The GAP reticle has hashes all around and the full and half MIL marks are easily discernable from one another. The GAP reticle is still my favorite USO reticle - its clean, fast & easy to use, and the hash marks obscure very little.

Maybe its just me but it seems like you're unnecessarily complicating a simple idea - dots denote MILs'. The original USMC Mil Dot scopes all used "football" dots, later came the Army's round Mil Dot. Their subtensions were different, but both were dots and subtended 1 MIL from center-to-center, period. A MIL is a MIL is a MIL.

So, any demarcation midway between two adjacent MILs is a .5 MIL, period. Doesn't matter what it is. When Premier developed the Gen 2 Mil Dot reticle guess what - dots were used at the full MIL locations and hashes were used at the .5 MIL locations. Pretty simple.

BTW, I do understand and appreciate the idea of having all hashes or all dots, but consider that if similar markings are used to denote MIL and .5 MIL the demarcations must be of different enough style, size, and/or length to easily differentiate themselves from the other demarcations. The GAP reticle does an excellent job in this regard. However, dots and hashes are easy to tell apart even if they are of similar size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coming from other reticles that are either all hash's or all dots, and in the case of the hash's the long hash is always the 1 mil marker, and the half hash is always .5 mil. THAT is WTF I'm talking about.</div></div>
    Fair enough. However - thats' not what you said here:
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is the .5 mil hash's long, and the 1mil hash's short?

Seems to be completely opposite compared to every other reticle I've seen. My first impression is that I do not like it. Am I missing something? </div></div>
    As I said, and which you have not addressed - <span style="font-style: italic">twice</span>, is:
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...On the Gen 2 XR full MILs' are either dots or hashmarks, and all hashmarks representing full MILs' are longer than the .5 MIL hashmarks.</div></div>

From my quote of you above, it seems that you did not look at the PDF of the Gen 2 XR closely enough before spouting-off. If you examine the PDF of the Gen 2 XR you will see that <span style="font-style: italic">"On the Gen 2 XR full MILs' are either dots or hashmarks, and all hashmarks representing full MILs' are longer than the .5 MIL hashmarks."</span> (Self-quote).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not saying I dislike the reticle, as I haven't even received the scope yet to get a first hand account of it.</div></div>
    Respectfully, its' not my concern nor do I care whether you like or dislike the reticle - I just pointed-out that your statement about the hash mark lengths is incorrect. Another person who reads this thread and doesn't do adequate research may read what you said and take it at face value. That may sway a sale one way or the other. No matter what the outcome may be, that decision was based on misinformation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for your opinion... but relax... and don't act like the reticle follows industry standards... because it DOESN'T. Not that its a bad thing. I'll find out in a few days whether its for me or not. </div></div>
    WTF? I mention that <span style="font-style: italic">"the basic layout of dots at full MILs (on the majority of the reticle) is preserved"</span> - and that means I'm acting as if the Gen 2 XR "follows industry standards"? You should have played William Hurt's part in "Altered States" - your interpretation is ... interesting.

I know that the Gen 2 XR doesn't follow industry standards. In fact, except for that little detail about the Gen 2 XR being MIL-based, the Gen 2 XR's design is very non-industry standard. The subtensions of the line widths are very fine, and the .01 MIL dot size buck convention.

Keith

Guess you really told me.

You win ok... If it were that big of a fuckn deal to me, I'd have called premier and got a custom reticle. Everyone else that replied knew exactly what I was talking about, and addressed it.

You can find someone else's ass to kick on the internet now ok?

orkan,
    With all due respect, your posts in this thread read as though you have little knowledge of the XR reticle. Aries64 obviously does, and took the time to respond twice to your posts, both times very concisely and accurately, I might add. I was YOU who replied in poor taste to him, twice now, even as he tried to enlighten you (again)...

Bad play, sir.

I don't know Aries64 from Adam, but sure do appreciate him, and other members, sharing their knowledge. Your snide replies to him just make you look all the more ignorant. To me, at least...

I apologize for the sidetrack.

My ignorant opinion of the XR reticle is that it makes very good sense. It's only limiting factor being on the lower mag. settings where the very fine full .mil 'dot' subtensions could be a little more bold, ala' the Gen II MD. But when cranked up to 25X, that sucker is pretty nice! That is the 'give & take' with FFP reticles though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No offense, but WTF are you talking about?
    </div></div>

I suppose its ok because he said "no offense" right? You are right, I don't know much about the reticle. Want to know why? THE FUCKING SCOPE HASN'T ARRIVED YET.

I was simply asking a question, to which other people answered. I didn't need some sarcastic bullshit and a school on how reticles work. I simply found it odd that the 1 mil marks were narrow (dots) while the .5mil marks were wide (hashes). THAT IS ALL. I was reassured that its better in person than on paper... and I responded with a thanks for reassurance. THE END. The thread could have ended there.

Instead I get someone coming in asking what the fuck I'm talking about and telling me how it is after I was already told, POLITELY mind you... and was happy. Look at the thread before aries posted. Seemed quite polite to me!

YOU BOTH WIN. How about that? Did you SEE that memo?
    1196098814-33708_full.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If it were that big of a fuckn deal to me, I'd have called premier and got a custom reticle. </div></div>

I did that when I got my PH. They seemed rather disinterested.

My biggest complaints of the XR were the .1 mil dots and lack of .2 hashes out at the ends for ranging. Its not that the hash-dot layout gets confusing, its just that the .1 mil dots at the full mil mark are less conspicuous than the .5 mil hashes. They're fine enough in fact that when holding off against a busy background you can lose them. Really though, once you get used to it, its a great reticle.

And chill man.
    smile.gif
    Its just the interwebs. Search through some of the old threads. I remember this one guy said something to me:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do your diligence, and THEN talk about it. </div></div>

Some of the old threads on the PH and XR had some great reticle pics. Seek and you shall find.

Here are a couple of mine:

IMG_2721.jpg

And combined with some features of the P4 Fine, it could be the perfect reticle, IMHO:

IMG_2716.jpg

Yeah, I spied those.
    smile.gif

I've seen all those threads. Thanks though. Yeah, I'll take your advice and relax. Its monday and the douche-baggery is getting me down already.
    smile.gif

Cant we all get along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guess you really told me.

You win ok... If it were that big of a fuckn deal to me, I'd have called premier and got a custom reticle. Everyone else that replied knew exactly what I was talking about, and addressed it.

You can find someone else's ass to kick on the internet now ok? </div></div>

It's amazing, this whole internet thing, seriously what the fuck did people do before they could argue to the death with complete strangers about something as trivial as how/what/where they prefer their dots and dashes on a freaking rifle scope.

I'm just going to start banning people and deleting threads since it seems that the guys here lately can get into a pissing match over just about anything. Grow the fuck up or get out.

orkan, I have a S&B PM II, with an XR, and I like it. I haven't had any problem using it. Considering I'm no expert and the fact that I have an IQ only slightly higher than a red brick, then I'll think you'll do fine with it. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's amazing, this whole internet thing, seriously what the fuck did people do before they could argue to the death with complete strangers about something as trivial as how/what/where they prefer their dots and dashes on a freaking rifle scope.

I'm just going to start banning people and deleting threads since it seems that the guys here lately can get into a pissing match over just about anything. Grow the fuck up or get out. </div></div>

Bravo Jason

I haven't been around long but it seems like you can't hardly read a thread anymore without people having school yard arguments about ridiculous stuff. I hope you can get all the moderators on board and put an end to this sort of thing now before the reasonable among us give up and abandon ship.