• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Premier heritage 3-15x 50 scope opinions

Tactical trashcan

Fish On!
Minuteman
May 17, 2020
Nevada
Hello to everyone on the forums. Been a creeper on here for years, first time posting anything. I would like to thank all of you for such a knowledgeable database of information first off. I haven’t ever felt the need to post as you pretty much all been there done that and posted opinions and detailed threads, so once again thank you for that. I am interested in learning to shoot some long range. Actually not what you guys consider long range but I would like to become proficient out to 800-1000 meters eventually, but baby steps right, ha. Got a couple decent guns. Tikka t3x tactical 6.5 creedmoore, Seekins sp10 in .308, Seekins noxs in .223 Wylde, rem 700 heavy barrel .308, browning hells canyon speed .300 WM. Only got one decent scope so far, a sig Tango 6 3-18X44. Got a chance to get a Premier Heritage 3-15x50 scope for some stuff I got in storage and will never use and about $800 cash. I was just going to give my buddy the stuff in storage for free. So pretty much It would cost me about $1000 in my mind. Seems to work fine, not beat up, put a new battery in and it illuminates, although not very bright of an illumination compared to the Sig, comes in a LaRue tactical SPR-S quick detach mount. The only downside I see is that it only has 14 MRAD of elevation adjustment. Loves the clicks and how it has a much more pronounced click at every full mil of adjustment though. How much would this scope actually be worth? Is it a good scope even though there is no company to warranty it anymore? Seems they are built like a tank from what I can find. Just some general feedback if it’s something I should get or not. How far out would this scope be capable. I am sure you could zero at a set longer distance than a 100 meter zero if I was shooting say out to 800 or so. But not ideal I assume. Thank you again for your opinions and feedback.

Well this may not be the opinion you were looking for but I wouldn't take that scope in no matter how good the deal is. I'd personally put the value of that scope at next to nothing because if something breaks there's little chance of that scope getting fixed, at which point you're left with a paperweight. Now, Tangent Theta, who bought up the Premier IP, may take it in and give you a $1,000 credit towards one of their scopes but you'd still be looking at having to cough up another $3,000 or more for a TT. I know there are plenty of people that will sing the Premier's praises and I'm glad that they've had great experiences with their's, I just would never take the chance.

I get what your Laying down 100% and that is a concern of mine. The only reason I am considering it was that others have said how tough they are and it’s got a $200 mount with it. I really don’t see being able to touch anything near this quality on midrange optic for what would actually be more like $600 spent on this scope.

They are well made optics. I would get the serial number and check with ATI and see if it is covered by tt warranty. Last one I sold was for $1600. 1k is a pretty good deal for a quality optic. They told me if they couldn't fix mine it would be $2200 off of a tt. If you decide not to buy it, shoot me a PM and I would gladly buy it.

Reactions: Itsadryheat
The Premier Heritage is an amazing optic. It's not the newest greatest anymore and does have some design issues. For $800 you better run with it like you stole it. The downside is that there is basically no warranty anymore. TT for all their greatness doesn't seem to want to service the old Premier scopes like they initially said they would. You can't really blame them but it would have been nice. The Premier still has great glass, awesome turrets, and is built like a tank.

The scope on my favorite rifle.

If it's a single turn Heritage you could sell it for 2K or so easy to a clone builder.

I think I’m going to get it, I just don’t see myself being able to get anything that touches this optic for that cheap nothing FFP for sure, which makes me have no hesitations on getting it. If I break it then I’m out $600 basically and I don’t see me dropping it and slamming it around. I try to baby my stuff, maybe to much, but I can’t afford new stuff just just beat the heck out of it like I am mad at it, ha ha. And if It gives up the ghost I can live with that and not feel to bad. I think the reward is worth the risk to me. Thank you again everyone. I really appreciate your hospitality.

Reactions: Christoph
You will get a great scope at $600.

Like I said if it's single turn, mil dot reticle, it's desireable to USMC clone builders - M110 and M40A5. Pretty sure some are still in service.

If it's what I describe I'll offer you $700.

Thank you for the offer, I really want it because it seems well built. And at 600 what could even really touch it in that price range. I will try it out and if it’s not my cup of tea I would let it go, but just in handling it and looking through the glass I don’t see wanting to part with it anytime soon. 👍

I used to have the Premier 3-15x50 Heritage. Great scope, shot with it for a few years. Sent it in to Armament for service, they didn’t have the parts to repair. They upgraded me to a TT525P for $1600. If this scope falls under the serial numbers they cover I don’t see how you can go wrong.

I had an original 315 Premier. Fantastic optic, ahead of it's time in thinking, but the company was badly run with pissing off early adopters and generally management being weak in basic business stuff. They ruined a great thing. Then the haters did what haters do and it all gradually or rather rapidly, turned to shit. It's a solid optic, well designed and executed. Paul was the stand out chap who fixed issues when they arose, not sure if he's at ATI now or not.

I just closed on a TT525 for my build from PVA. Can't wait for that set up!

In the interest of Tangent Theta, Orkan, who owns Primal Rights, does a stand out job of reviewing these scopes. Check them out on YouTube. HIs review of the RimX also cost me a couple grand... effer!

Where is the serial number at, I can’t seem to find it, unless it’s under the scope mount rings. And thank you for all the good info. I feel pretty confident it will serve me just fine.

Best I could get with my phone, hope they are clear enough!

Attachments

• 0B27EFE1-AEA9-4D7B-9841-A74EEA242700.jpeg
    0B27EFE1-AEA9-4D7B-9841-A74EEA242700.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 14A47917-77A3-496F-BAE9-56EED0089D7E.jpeg
    14A47917-77A3-496F-BAE9-56EED0089D7E.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 155
  • 35C5D6A8-2E9F-4E93-BB07-D4A5C43A0636.jpeg
    35C5D6A8-2E9F-4E93-BB07-D4A5C43A0636.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 157
  • E90D052E-3339-4AD9-A878-4D0E4655E5F6.jpeg
    E90D052E-3339-4AD9-A878-4D0E4655E5F6.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 503B8FBC-7AB3-4C7E-B6DA-BC29E529319A.jpeg
    503B8FBC-7AB3-4C7E-B6DA-BC29E529319A.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 132
Single Turn.

Desirable scope.

You did good.

Be careful with the mount and clamping the tube.

Early versions had an issue that bound the parallax.

I haven’t messed with it. It was mounted already in the LaRue mount. Not sure how to tell if it is binding up for sure, the turret works fine but, I’m sure you mean it will bind up the parallax from functioning not the actual turret, would laping the rings on the mount help? Sorry to sound so newbish, ha. Thanks for the advice. Very much appreciated.

Nice find TacCan.

Is this the 30mm Heritage or the 34mm Heritage Tactical?

edit: just saw the "14 mils of adjustment" in your first post, buried inside that eye popping paragraph.

Slap it on the R700 & take some period pics.

It just says Heritage on the power setting etchings it does not have a T following it. I do not have a set of calipers here at home to measure the main tube outside dimension at the moment. It’s in storage. My rem 700 is in a safe at a friends at the moment or I would do that. Although it is a hogue overmolded stock model. Still need to upgrade to a more desirable stock, maybe a manners, and and a seekins detachable bottom metal some day.

Attachments

• C44DE4B7-4C8B-4062-AEED-7068EFB34980.jpeg
    C44DE4B7-4C8B-4062-AEED-7068EFB34980.jpeg
    363.4 KB · Views: 57
I tossed the Hogue on my AAC-SD almost a decade back, inletted a McMillan for Badger M4 bottom metal, bedded where appropriate, and it turned into a handy rig.

And yes it was a very long winded first post, just wanted to be detailed and give you all a long overdue thanks for all the info I have gotten on here over the years.

If I can get it to stiffen up with some epoxy where the bipod is so it doesn’t flex and touch the barrel, I wouldn’t mind keeping it on the rifle. I find it comfortable but if it effects my accuracy like I believe it currently does It needs to go.

Tried that. Hogged it out, epoxied some very thin carbon fiber rod into the fore end, not much difference.

Went McMillan soon after; woke up that short 10 twisty once I decided to play around with something a little beyond 168 smk.

Single Turn.

Desirable scope.

You did good.

Be careful with the mount and clamping the tube.

Early versions had an issue that bound the parallax.

Yep, single turns were spec for the m40s and m110s; later versions with the slip clutch / marked parallax had lower frequency of failure

And yes it was a very long winded first post, just wanted to be detailed and give you all a long overdue thanks for all the info I have gotten on here over the years.

Ensure the ring fasteners are torqued to 15 in lbs, that is considered the max for these scopes (TT recently revised their guidelines but they used to state 15” lbs as well).

The glass in those things is still among the best you can get IMO.

Last edited:
I will make sure to loosen it up and torque back down to the appropriate 15inch lbs before I mess with adjusting the parallax turret any more and mount it on the rifle. Hopefully it is ok and hasn’t caused any damage to the parallax adjustment internally, that would be a big bummer.

Reactions: nn8734
To clarify, just reread that post torque should be 15 foot lbs, not 15 inch pounds correct? Big difference, just want to make sure I am reading that correctly.

Yep, single turns were spec for the m40s and m110s; later versions with the slip clutch / marked parallax had lower frequency of failure

Ensure the ring fasteners are torqued to 15 ft lbs, that is considered the max for these scopes (TT recently revised their guidelines but they used to state 15” lbs as well).

The glass in those things is still among the best you can get IMO.

You need to fix the item in red.

I wouldnt even go 15 inch pounds. 10-13 inch pounds is my goal (after snapping a ring screw trying to get 15"lb on a quality base/ring set with a Seekonk beam 0-75 inch pound wrench).

Use feeler gauges, playing cards, to avoid pinching one side or the other on the cap.

Reactions: nn8734
You need to fix the item in red.

I wouldnt even go that high. 10-13 inch pounds is my goal (after snapping a ring screw trying to get 15"lb on a quality base/ring set)

Thanks, fixed...15” is fine but it’s considered a max. Had two premiers for over 5 years, each in Badger rings and never had issues. Paul Lange, chief engineer for Premier when they were still in business, personally recommended 15” lbs in a phone conversation with me.

I own 4 Premier Reticle Scopes (5-25x56 Heritage, 3-15x50 Heritage and two 3-15x50 Light Tacticals). The rings should be torques with
INCH POUNDS not foot pounds. Again INCH POUNDS ONLY.

To clarify, just reread that post torque should be 15 foot lbs, not 15 inch pounds correct? Big difference, just want to make sure I am reading that correctly.

Inch lbs. I goofed in my initial post and incorrectly put “foot lbs” but scope ring torque as well as your rings-scope base torque is always in inch lbs. sorry for the initial confusion

Truth be told I cant even say with confidence if my parallax works on my Premier

1589811979651.png

1589812097473.png

I frig with it, gets some clarity, duck my head see steady aim point, change distances, forget to adjust, still stacks bullets.

It just seems to be a very forgiving design.

Dont screw with your shit.

If in its present set up the scope works for you leave it. If when you put the mount on your rifle it needs adjustment just be mindful of your torque and use a good tool to set it.

Wow, I was worried the OP would torque that thing to FT LBS before someone corrected him. Scary stuff to read, on his brand 'new' asset. Thanks for saving this guy folks.

@pmclaine
Your parallax is working, from how you describe your use.

Yea, no shit...it’s also Monday morning. Fixed it
Feel you on the Monday thing.

Glad the OP was smart enough to know something was amiss before he went and did it.

I wonder if those little star bolt heads can even handle 15 ft lbs. I bet they’d break.

Feel you on the Monday thing.

Glad the OP was smart enough to know something was amiss before he went and did it.

I wonder if those little star bolt heads can even handle 15 ft lbs. I bet they’d break.

I have a case of the Mondays, for sure...The threads would likely strip out of the mount before the faster itself broke. I had an ADM mount’s threads strip when I took one of the screws to 25” lbs. It’s just sitting in my junk box now.

No worries guys, I wouldn’t have done anything till I got clarification. 15 foot lbs seemed way to much for something like a scope, ha. And thank you all for jumping in with the fast responses warning me to only use inch pounds. You guys are awesome. Thank you again pmclaine and everyone. So what clone build would this scope have been on an m40a3, m40a5??? I might just build one now, never planned on it but I got the rifle and the scope now, why not right.

A5 for sure as well as the m110 (USMC). Not sure if these made it onto the A3s; someone else can confirm or deny.

Old thread but figured I'd add some info since I just went through mounting a premier 3-15 in two sets of rings. For reference my scope is an older model 3-15, Double Turn with 28 mils of adjustment mounted on an M110 upper. First set of rings were Badger USMC high rings for the M110/SASR. Rings torqued to 15-18 in//lbs per Badger. Once zero was set I only was able to use roughly 19 mils of adjustment and everything else worked as it should.

I decided to try the Larue LT840 with 20 MOA of cant to see if I could get more adjustment out of the scope and place it in a better location for eye relief. Once mounted and bore sighted I was able to use all 28 mils adjustment but will need to verify on the range. I torqued rings to Laure specs of 30 in/lbs then when sighting in to check eye relief I noticed the parallax would bind. Undid the rings then incrementally torqued them back down. I determined that the lockup was happening at 25 in/lbs. At 22-23 in/lbs or below parallax was moving as it should.