• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Premier Heritage 5-25 help please

beenjammin

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Guys today My PH 5-25 came and after initial inspection, the hype to me is true. I love everything about the scope, but there is one little think I noticed that may not be right.

On the parallax adjustment knob, there is a ring that looks like a large hexagon. It is between the body of the scope and the part of the knob that turns.

I notice when turning my parallax, this ring also turns with the knob?? it loos like I see threads behind it and Im worried that this ring should not be turning and shoul be tight against the body of the scope? Here is a close up picture of what Im talking about. Please let me know if this ring turns on your PH.

Re: Premier Heritage 5-25 help please

yep mine does as well, you dont have any problems with the scope, its supposed to turn

On my 3-15 the ring does turn on the parallax but not on the Elevation and windage. Hope this helps

Kit

The Sky is falling...The Sky is falling...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet thats is all i needed to know. I am very happy. Ill be taking some more pics later this week. <span style="font-weight: bold">Ill put it up next to the S&B5-25 and the new falcon 5-25</span>. </div></div>
Until then, here are a few teasers for everyone...

<span style="font-weight: bold">S & B PMII 5-25X (56mm) DT CM LP CCW Gen 2 XR and Premier Heritage 5-25X (56mm) DT MTC Gen 2 XR:</span>
5-25XGen2XRs18x6.jpg

5-25XGen2XRs28x6.jpg

5-25XGen2XRs38x6.jpg

Keith

If the PR knobs felt like the S & Bs I would replace every scope I own with one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the PR knobs felt like the S & Bs I would replace every scope I own with one. </div></div>

Exactly my thoughts as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the PR knobs felt like the S & Bs I would replace every scope I own with one. </div></div>

Exactly my thoughts as well.</div></div>

Aye, too true.

and stopped using the dumb dot and got a line that matched up...

Still like their scopes... though, minor problems aside.

How do the knobs feel compared to a Nightforce. I don't have any experience with S&B.

Thanks

You really cannot compare NF to S & B or PR. A NF is a multi-turn knob with a HUGE space between clicks--so it is quite easy to differentiate between clicks.

Because they are both double turn knobs with ALOT of elevation, both the S & B and PR put a ton of clicks into each revolution, and therefore the clicks are WAY closer together--and distinctly different than a NF. S & B does a better job with the clicks.

Thanks for the explanation. I had not thought of the closer spacing required for the double vs. multi-turn, but it makes good sense. I am looking forward to trying the double turn.

The clicks on mine are crisp, maybe not quite as crisp as the S&B, but Still nice. One thing I now know about the PH is that the re-zero lever on top was a little tricky. I losened it then thought.. what now.. I guess I pull up like the S&B and the whole knob came off. I had to reposition it and then tighten the lever back up. You cannot tighten the level too tight or you cannot fold it back down. The S&B hex screw did require a tool, but I felt like it was easier to manage then the PH. Again.. one mans opinion. The Gen 2 XR on the PH is the perfect balance of thickness at low and high magnification. I have only owned the Gen 2 XL and p3 mildot on S&B 5-25 scopes.

I love my PH. for me.. its the perfect scope.. when you take in to account price, quality, US company, and what comes in the scope.

Now, if someone would sell me a NIB S&B 5-25 with p4 fine, 0.1 cm turrets for what I paid Liberty for the PH, then I would go for
it, but hey... that aint goona happen.

OOh hey one more thing on the PH. I wish when the double turn post that comes out for the second turn was a different color then the scope so it could be seen easier. Kind of like the yellow for S&B double turn knob. Even if it was left unfinished. Mine is the same color as the scope so its hard to see when it comes out, but it comes out perfectly.

It is well known that the glass comes from overseas; but what is your definition of "Made in the USA"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is well known that the glass comes from overseas; but what is your definition of "Made in the USA"? </div></div>

I guess because Premier Reticles designed and marketed the scope? Ford and Chevy parts are made overseas also im sure, but I still consider them made in the USA also. Just like Hyundai's are made right up the road from me, but I consider them foreign automobiles. The design was more then likely Korean. When I worked for Yamaha in Georgia, us American engineers were the grunts and the Japanese engineers did the design work in Japan. We just put them together in the US and rode them to make sure they didnt break.. Yamaha is a foreign manufacurer.

I can see where this is going and have read the exact same debate in other threads. I certainly dont want to get anything started on this one. Its more made in the USA then the S&B. At least I feel that way. Other folks may not. Im certainly not trying to speak for anyone other them myself.

how about US company.. or something to do with the US... How can I make this sound better even though I hope everyone knows what im trying to imply.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice
wich do you prefer???? </div></div>
That is a tough one for me - there are things about my PMII 5-25X Gen 2 XR that I prefer over my Heritage 5-25X Gen 2 XR, <span style="font-weight: bold">and vice-versa</span>. Below are some comments I've cut n' pasted from another post of mine here on the Hide' where I've documented some basic differences about my particular scopes:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Features/characteristics common between my S & B PMII 5-25X DT CM LP Gen 2 XR CCW and Premier Heritage 5-25X Gen 2 XR MTC:</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Build Quality -</span>

Both are built for rugged use and dependability. I don't purposefully beat on my stuff, so although I can and do "box test" my scopes for accuracy and repeatability of adjustments more than likely I'll never have to warranty either one. S & B scopes have a proven track record for durability, although anything can break. Premier scopes haven't been out long enough to have a track record, but I have no doubt that they will be proven very durable by those in the field in harm's way. Those are the tests that really matter.

<span style="font-weight: bold">PMII 5-25X Gen 2 XR and Heritage 5-25X Gen 2 XR Reticles -</span>

Although the measurements and subtensions are identical between the two scopes <span style="font-style: italic">on paper</span>, when you look through the two scopes the reticles appear quite different. Not only do the subtensions of the Heritage appear heavier and stand-out more, but the reticle also looks distinctly "more "black" (and thus easier to see) compared to the PMII. If the only difference between the reticles was the darker, blacker appearance of the Heritage Gen 2 XR might chock it up to better glass coatings and/or more efficient baffles inside the tube, but its more than that - as if the reticle is etched differently. I have to wonder how accurate the marked magnifications on the ocular housings are (the numbered magnifications may or may not be accurate, so this could also play a part in the apparent visual differences. Although, I would definitely notice the difference in reticle and image size between the two if a magnification discrepancy was indeed the cause of the visual differences.

I had old Premier PDFs' of the 4-16X and 5-25X PMII Gen 2 XR (at 15X) and I compared the subtensions and measurements to PDFs' of the Heritage 3-15X and 5-25X (at 15X) that I had pulled off the web before. The subtensions and measurements were identical between the two Heritage Gen 2 XR scopes, with the line widths being thicker than on the PMIIs'. At 17X, my GAP reticle was slightly more coarse at 17X than the PMII at 17X but slightly less coarse than the Heritage at 17X (again, the PMII and Heritage 5-25Xs' are supposed to be the same). The GAP schematic is spec'ed at .1 MOA/2.65938mms' at 100 yards, compared to 0.025 MIL/0.09"/2.28600mm for both the Heritage and PMII 5-25X Gen 2 XRs'.

I PM'ed Jerry (Ricker) at Premier, and asked him about the subtensions and measurements of the Heritage 5-25X compared to the PMII 5-25X, explaining that the Heritage vertical and horizontal line widths "look thicker". Jerry emailed me, sending me an updated PDF of the Heritage 5-25X Gen 2 XR. The Heritage 5-25X Gen 2 XR PDF Jerry sent me has identical specs to the PMII 4-16X and 5-25X Gen 2 XR.

Once I mount the Heritage and have time I'll try to get some decent photos of the reticles at various powers and post them on the Hide'. Of course, people will have to realize and take into account that the marked magnifications on the ocular housings may or may not be actual magnifications, and that scopes will vary slightly.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Features/characteristics specific between my S & B PMII 5-25X DT CM LP Gen 2 XR CCW and Premier Heritage 5-25X Gen 2 XR MTC:</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">S & B PMII 5-25X Gen 2 XR DT CM LP CCW</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Clarity -</span></span>

<span style="font-style: italic">To my eyes</span>, as excellent as my PMII 5-25X is, the Heritage 5-25X appears to have a slight edge in both resolution and color rendition. Not a huge difference, but <span style="font-style: italic">slightly</span> better than my PMII in both). Edge-to-edge they seem equal.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Field of View -</span> </span>

I have seen people mention that the PMII's FOV is restricted at low power (when you dial down to 5X, a black ring is visible around the image) and this ring doesn't go away until magnification is increased to about 6-6.5X). My personal scope exhibits this, and the ring completely disappears by 6.5X. I don't worry about this, as I rarely dial below 10X anyway.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ADJUSTMENTS - </span>

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Turrets</span></span>

The PMII has much more solid and definite "clicks" than my Heritage 5-25X. The PMII's clicks are very solid and definite, without the slightest hint of mushiness. However, since the PMII lacks a MTC ("More Tacile Click") option (each full MIL has a heavier detent) all the clicks feel the same and you have to look at the dial or count clicks. In this sense, adjustments must be done carefully and deliberately in order to avoid under or over-shooting your desired setting. An MTC would allow you to crank the full MILs fast, then slow down when you get close. I wish that the PMII was available with an MTC. The Elevation and Windage knobs turn easily and smoothly, with what I consider adequate resistence - not too stiff but not too easy to turn. Some might consider them too easy-to-turn in the field.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Parallax Knob</span></span>

The Parallax knob turns easily and smoothly, with a what is IMHO just the right amount of resistance. CCW rotation (you turn the knob "away from you" to focus on distant objects, and turn the knob toward you to focus on closer objects).

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Illumination</span></span>

The Illumination rheostat is located in a separate housing on the LH side of the tube, just forward of the Ocular Bell, and has 11 settings plus "O"/Off. The settings are marked 0-11. Turning the illumination Knob CCW <span style="font-style: italic">(away from you)</span> increases the intensity of the illumnation (unlike on the Heritage, where the illumination increases in a CW direction).

There are two things I dislike about the PMII's Illumination adjustment: (1), the rheostat's location on the tube reduces the amount of space available for the rear ring, and (2) the rheostat must be turned from "0"/"Off" to the desired setting (there is no "off" position between each intensity setting). Turning the illumniation dial to between any one of the numbered settings will actually turn-off the illumnation, thus conserving battery power, but his is risky as the knob turns easily between the setting detents and could accidently be turned back on). At best, you could drain your CR2032 battery. At worst, operators could give away their postion to the bad guys.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Diopter Setting</span></span>

The Diopter Setting is rubber-covered, so it provides some protection from high-recoiling calibers if you don't leave a lens cover on the ocular while shooting. The adjustment is stiff-to-turn, which is as it shoud be. The stiff setting means you won't alter the setting with a bump or by flipping open the cover.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Premier Heritage 5-25X Gen 2 XR:</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Clarity -</span></span>

As I mentioned above, <span style="font-style: italic">to my eyes</span>, as excellent as my PMII 5-25X is, my Heritage 5-25X appears to have a slight edge in both resolution and color rendition. Not a huge difference, but <span style="font-style: italic">slightly</span> better than my PMII in both). Edge-to-edge they seem equal.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Field of View -</span> </span>

For the most part, my Heritage 5-25X does not exhibit this "problem". I say, <span style="font-style: italic">"for the most part"</span> because the way the ocular housing is timed the "5" doesn't line-up exactly. The magnification needs to be turned very slightly higher than the 5X stop, or else a ring will also be seen. Again, I don't worry about this, as I rarely dial below 10X anyway.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ADJUSTMENTS - </span>

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Turrets</span></span>

The Heritage clicks are "softer" and <span style="font-style: italic">on my scope</span> they feel a sort of mushy and indefinite. Because of this, adjustments must be done carefully and deliberately in order to dial your desired setting because sometimes you can't feel the "click". While the clicks aren't terrible, if they don't improve I will contact Premier about sending the scope in for them to look at and "tweek" - from reading a thread here on the Hide', a Heritage 3-15X owner had this complaint and sent his scope in. I don't recall whether this was a 22 MIL ST (I believe it was, because IIRC it was an early 3-15X) or a 15 MIL ST. At any rate, Premier "fixed" the scope and the customer is happy now.

The Heritage is available with a "MTC" (More Tacile Click) option (each full MIL has a heavier detent), allowing you to dial in complete darkness. You can crank the full MILs fast, then slow down when you get close. The MTC feature of the Heritage is really cool for adjusting full MILs' without looking, although as I mentioned above, anything other than a full MIL requires attentive, deliberate dialing in order to not under or overshoot the adjustment you want (this is because of the "mushiness" of my clicks). The "MTC" is a very cool option that I wish was available on the PMII.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Toolless Re-zeroing</span></span>

Very cool feature to have - just flip the toggle up and over, set the knob where desired, and flip the toggle back down and you're set (unlike the PMII turrets which require a small screwdriver to loosen/tighten two screws that secure the turrets to the erector assembly). No tools needed and no screws to lose!

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Parallax Knob</span></span>

The Parallax knob turns easily and smoothly, and is slightly stiffer than on my PMII. Its' GTG. As on my CCW PMII 5-25X, CCW rotation (turning the knob "away from you" focuses on distant objects, and turning the knob toward you to focuses on closer objects).

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Illumination</span></span>

The Illumination rheostat is ingeniously incorporated into the Parallax Knob Housing, and has 11 settings, plus "0"/Off. The settings are marked 0-11. Turning the illumination Knob CW (towards you increases the intensity of the numbers (unlike on the PMII, where the illumination intensity increases in a CCW direction). I do wish that the illumination rheostat adjusted in a CCW fashion like the other controls.

By incorporating the illumination rheostat into the Parallax housing, Premier has solved one of the things that I dislike about the PMII's illumination rheostat - (losing ring space on the tube). The Heritage's illumination rheostat pulls out of the Parallax housing for use, and stores out of harm's way when not in use. Very Cool. Plus, the rheostat has just the right amount of tension to keep it in whatever position you place it in. This allows you to turn the illumination off between settings without fear of the illumination being bumped back-on.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Diopter Setting</span></span>

As on my PMII, the Diopter Setting is stiff-to-turn, which is as it shoud be. It is not rubber-coated, so beware of high-recoiling rifles. The stiff setting means you won't alter the setting with a bump or by flipping open the cover. Something worth noting, is that the diopter adjustment ring is machined to accept Premier's Articulating Lens Cover, and the angle at which the ring is machined doesn't give you a lot to grab onto when adjusting the diopter. This is fine with me, as it helps prevent my friends from messing with my diopter adjustment.

Keith

Made in the USA means more than 50% is made in America

I have my doubts that scope is made here or even assembled here! Maybe the box or the tag is made here?
grin.gif
We have all seen the unfinished tubes in a stack somewhere; but where? Even if my intuition is right; you are right they are an American Co..

turk old buddy you might be right. it sound like you know more about it then I do anyway. How about this then.. more made in the US then the S&B.

Where ever it is made. Its a kick ass scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet thats is all i needed to know. I am very happy. Ill be taking some more pics later this week. <span style="font-weight: bold">Ill put it up next to the S&B5-25 and the new falcon 5-25</span>. </div></div>
Until then, here are a few teasers for everyone...

<span style="font-weight: bold">S & B PMII 5-25X (56mm) DT CM LP CCW Gen 2 XR and Premier Heritage 5-25X (56mm) DT MTC Gen 2 XR:</span>
5-25XGen2XRs18x6.jpg

5-25XGen2XRs28x6.jpg

5-25XGen2XRs38x6.jpg

Keith </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Keith </span> Thanks for posting the pics!
I have had the 3.5-15 PR on my 300wsm for almost 4 months and absolutely love it. You are making me wish I had the cash to put a 5-25 PR on my .338 rum or .50 . Maybe next year. Still damn nice to look at though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have my doubts that scope is made here or even assembled here! Maybe the box or the tag is made here?
grin.gif
We have all seen the unfinished tubes in a stack somewhere; but where? Even if my intuition is right; you are right they are an American Co.. </div></div>
Turk,

being upset because you didn't get your shop tour when you showed up without prior notice because we were loaded with work <span style="font-style: italic">producing riflescopes</span> doesn't mean you have the right to spread your unqualified bullshit on every PR thread on this board. If Premier doesn't produce scopes, I wonder how I did a 4 month <span style="font-style: italic">engineering</span> internship at their facility?

I think you are deliberately trying to insult and harm good people doing good work in the US, for purely personal reasons. This has gone on long enough, go be a pain in the ass somewhere else and leave us alone with your unqualified comments. Thank you.

Is there really a PR "birther" controversy? If so, OMFG, don't know whether to laugh and crack another beer or sigh and crack another beer. One thing's for sure, I'm having another beer.

David, as far as being pissed off; I would be more then glad to discuss my reasons if you wish; but I am not certain it is going to help your cause! As far as something going on long enough; we could discuss that also! In the mean time a little evidence on your part as to where these scopes are produced could go along way in ending this matter!