• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Premier Heritage, really comparable to USO and S&B

paramil

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2011
Thinking about dropping the $ on two new Premier Heritage scopes for my .300WM and Rem 700 PSS. One in 3-15 and one in 5-25, the only way I can afford this is to sell the two optics I currently have on these rifles (which happen to be a 4-16x50mm S&B and an older Nikon tactical 2.5-10 both with the the gen II reticules) the question I have is this, are the new Premier Heritage scope really worth the $ over the other higher quality, big name optics?

Re: Premier Heritage, really comparable to USO and S&B

I'd just get one PH and keep your SB. And yes, they really compare.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paramil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nikon tactical 2.5-10 both with the the gen II reticules</div></div>

Huh?

The only complaint I've heard about Premier was that some felt the clicks were a little soft. From what I hear Premier fixed that and added parallax marking's

I have a premier 5-25 and love it I have never looked through a s&b but I can't imagine them much better if any. the dials are sweet they are nice hard clicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&B > Premier > USO </div></div>

Spot on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only complaint I've heard about Premier was that some felt the clicks were a little soft. From what I hear Premier fixed that and added parallax marking's </div></div>

The only complaint I have on mine is that at times the clicks are hard, particulary coming off the full mil.

Get them, you will love'em. But get two 5-25!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paramil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thinking about dropping the $ on two new Premier Heritage scopes for my .300WM and Rem 700 PSS. One in 3-15 and one in 5-25, the only way I can afford this is to sell the two optics I currently have on these rifles (which happen to be a 4-16x50mm S&B and an older Nikon tactical 2.5-10 both with the the gen II reticules) the question I have is this, are the new Premier Heritage scope really worth the $ over the other higher quality, big name optics? </div></div>

Cutting through everything you can do more with the two scopes you have now than any one single scope.

The Nikon is not made the same way now and what you have is as good of SFP 2.5-10 that has ever been made. The 4-16 SxB is the Sniper Scope that changed it all. World class optics, Durable as all hell and FFP. I would not drop either of these two scope.

Now if you can affor a Premiere its a top knotch scope, but I would not drop your two for one

I own and sell Premier scopes. I can set the MOA reticle on 5X and see as well as hit targets 12 inchs square at 2400 yards. Even the misses can be seen at that distance impacting the dirt.
A great optic in every way. The clicks are hard but you can adjust those if you really want to. They were designed to be that way for many reason though most "target" shooters will never be in that situation. If I had a choice between the S&B and Premier I'd pick the Premier for many reasons. I've used both and sell both as well as N/F. For extreme long range work it's the best choice IMO. It has the best features for money compared to the rest.
USO is always a great choice as well since they offer LOTS of choices compared to other optic companys. I've owned several USO and the latest they have built for our Head Hunter 5.56 is exceptional.

Most people will ask:
Is the premier as good as the s&b? If say yes, keep your s&b and be happy as most will lose money selling a scope. I've looked through plenty of them and can't say I am upset with the clarity. Save your money. Buy one for one rifle and keep the Schmitt and all will be right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own and sell Premier scopes. I can set the MOA reticle on 5X and see as well as hit targets 12 inchs square at 2400 yards. Even the misses can be seen at that distance impacting the dirt. </div></div>

I was unaware they have them with an MOA reticle.

What I would like to do is switch the scopes to a MIL reticle with MIL adjustments. I already kind of decided the 2.5x10 Nikon Tactical will stay on a hunting rifle. The S&B is a great scope but has MOA adjustments, If I could change it to a MIL adjustment then I would keep it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paramil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nikon tactical 2.5-10 both with the the gen II reticules</div></div>

Huh? </div></div>

Yes, before the copyright infringement they made one too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paramil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I could change it to a MIL adjustment then I would keep it. </div></div>

Look for the guy on this site who has 2 zillion S&B logos in his signature and PM him I think he was the one talking about that. 350$ for both turrets I think.

I think that in the US are S&B scopes unnecessarily overrated, especially their glass.
Premier is the actual on the top between tactical scopes, very close is Hensoldt/Zeiss - because of their high quality glass. Mechanically is Premier a bit better as Hensoldt/Zeiss.
S&B was and still is behind this two brands, their glass in both PM and Zenith lines isn´t just the clearest....competition or hunt in daylight - no problem. But if comes the dusk, the evening and the night - you make better if your choice is Premier or Zeiss.... (european experiences with hunting in the night...actually Premier 5-25x56 + Swaro Z6i 2-12x50, previously Zeiss 6-24x56 and S&B 2,5-10x56 and others...)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paramil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I could change it to a MIL adjustment then I would keep it. </div></div>

Look for the guy on this site who has 2 zillion S&B logos in his signature and PM him I think he was the one talking about that. 350$ for both turrets I think. </div></div>

Just to clarify this guy will replace the MOA turrets with MIL turrets?

Hi Guys,
The "guy" you might be thinking of is Rob01. He is a big S&B guy, but he doesn't repair your scopes. Contact S&B USA in New Hampshire at 1-800-468-3450.
As far as I know they can replace your turrets with no problems. call up and ask for Mark or Marsha and they will get you a price and timeline to get it done.
As much as I'd like to see you in one of our scopes (and maybe next time you will choose Premier) you can get yours changed over.
Also to answer another question above, Yes Premier does make an MOA scope in the 5-25 power range. If you would like to know more about it please drop me a PM and I will get you the subtensions.
Thanks,
Paul

This is no dis to USO but USO is not in the league of Premier or S&B. I think top three have to be Hensoldt/S&B/Premier. I think it is a toss up between the three and just look for the features that are important to you such as reticle, weight, etc. I am an MOA guy so Premier for now is the only one that offers an MOA reticle out of those three.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am an MOA guy so Premier for now is the only one that offers an MOA reticle out of those three. </div></div>

Actually S&B now makes a true MOA version of the P4F reticle.

Thanks for taking that Paul. If I was the guy then BCP needs to check that I only have one S&B logo in my sig ine. Not 2 zillion. LOL

Here's the pricing from Mark for work:

Turret change from MOA to Mil or Mil to MOA includes both Elevation and Windage: $550

Reticle change to stock reticle: $550

Reticle change with a Horus reticle: $900

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Plange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As much as I'd like to see you in one of our scopes (and maybe next time you will choose Premier) you can get yours changed over.</div></div>

Oh I wouldnt worry to much, I am still picking one up after the new year for my .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
alpha6164 said:
Here's the pricing from Mark for work:

Turret change from MOA to Mil or Mil to MOA includes both Elevation and Windage: $550
</div></div>

Wow, thats a pretty steep bill. Less than bying a new scope I guess.

I like my NF 2.5-10X32 so much I paid to have the turrets converted to mils to match the reticle. I'd hang on to the S&B and just replace the Nikon, either with the Premier 5-25 or the SS 5-20.

As Tactical/Mike said, I'd highly suggest not losing the Nikon tactical. You have a fine rare specimen with a stolen copyrighted gen 2 reticle in a tough ass body. I nearly sold mine but am glad as hell I didnt. I just wish there was a way to convert it to mil knobs instead of MOA....

I find with glass, it's probably a good idea not to sell them unless absolutely necessary. Better to just eat more ramen and tuna and save pennies for another scope. That and keep your schmidt and just pay for the knob change.

I think ....

well I have USO , I could buy any scope I want but USO is what I have .

I think S&B glass is clearer they do make a very nice scope

But I just like USO , I am about to order two more .

I have not even seen a Premier no one I no has one , I no there are a few getting around over here I just haven't run into one yet .

edit to add : you need to have look at one and see what you like .

Hey sorry for going slightly off topic, but does anyone know why PH won't sell out of their home state of VA? I'd love to buy one but I generally won't buy anything unless I see an example of one beforehand and I don't know anyone with a PH. Their factory is like an hour from my house but I was told that they won't sell from there and they don't have any dealers here or in Maryland
frown.gif

From my understanding of the beast is that they have contacted a company to distribute them, or should I say market (I don't really know the term)them to distributors. They do not sell direct.

I recently got a Premier 3.5-15 mildot single turn turrets. I also have several NF and USO. I compared all of them side by side a week or so ago including a other scopes Leupold, Nikon, Zeis. I was at a friends range shooting and we just started comparing scopes we had on hand. We did not have a SB on hand at the time though. The PRemier was very clear durring the day time. It was tied with one of my USO scopes no one could tell the difference. I had 3 USO scopes and the other 2 were not quite as clear. To be fair the zeis was a smaller scope I do not remember the model or exact size. It was as clear as the other 2 USO possibly a little clearer but was hard to tell a difference. The NF and Leupold were a little behind but not far. I had 2 NF benchrest which were clearer than the NXS and were the best of all the scopes we tried in low light. The Premier fell way short in low light I feel as did the other people there. It did have a lot of nice features but it was also huge and heavy. I would have to say it was heavier than the sn-3 scopes I had on hand but they were mounted on rifles. The Premier was not mounted.

My personal preference is the US Optics for tactical scopes and NF benchrest for my target scopes. There are several things I do not like about the NXS series.

To clear it all up
Best for low light was the NF bechrest followed by USO then Premier then Zeiss then NXS and Leupold MK4.

In daylight the Premier and one of my USO's were tied, the other USO's did not seem quite as clear but were close second. The NF Benchrest was next with Zeiss really close the NXS and Leupold MK4.

as far as controls I hate the NXS ill controls, The older USO leaves something to be desired also but is managable. The newer ill control is much better. The ill control on the NF benchrest, Leupold are ok. The Premier ill control and the new USO control seem the best. I really like the USO EREK adj for elevation. The Premier is also very nice. I am still not sure how I like the heavy click at each mil. it caused me to miss a click following right after one of the heavy clicks. This may just be something that takes getting used to. I really like the premier lens covers though. as well as the Leupold Aluma covers. I do not like a lot of things about the NXS scopes (magnification adj, ill control, zero stop seems like it is delicate. I also really like the lever idea for the adjustments on the Premier.

If someone could build the perfect scope I would have a scope the size of the Leupold, turret adj from Premier, USO clicks and turrets (but not requiring tools to adj), Flip up covers like Premier, side Paralax, zoom adjustment from Premier or USO, new USO illumination controls fianlly reticle is a personal preference for targetwork I like the NF and the others I prefer the MPR USO reticle. For optics the low light performance of the Benchrest scopes and clarity of the USO and Premier.

Best overall I have to go with USO. For my target scopes I will stick with NF Benchrest.

I would like to try a Hensolt/Zeiss tactical but havent had the chance. The SB I saw I really liked alot and would love to try it out more. The Premier was an ok scope but not my favorite and most of the people I was shooting with chose the NF Benchrest as their favorite all around and the USO second, Leupold MK4 3rd and NXS 4th.

Low light performance is a big deal, I appreciate your feedback. Anyone else have any low light issues with the Premier?

My PH 3-15 was as at least as good as the S&B 3-12X50 PMII I had at the time in low light conditions. It's pretty rare to hear of anybody displeased with their low light performance compared with other scopes with equal sized objectives--it's really one of their strongest points.